Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal boat has a red trim wire that rubs through in the remote. Activate the trim and rpm drops. Fix it (I haven’t run a fresh wire yet keep busting soldier)and runs perfect. It shouldn’t draw that much power, and I want to chase another problem like alternator , but it all checks good.

I almost feel we are looking for something like that. A red and a yellow wire swapped, a pull over sucking air, mmt rust in the carb, something wired or that repeatedly occurred, like a short that fries a part till you catch the short.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motv18 View Post
    My personal boat has a red trim wire that rubs through in the remote. Activate the trim and rpm drops. Fix it (I haven’t run a fresh wire yet keep busting soldier)and runs perfect. It shouldn’t draw that much power, and I want to chase another problem like alternator , but it all checks good.

I almost feel we are looking for something like that. A red and a yellow wire swapped, a pull over sucking air, mmt rust in the carb, something wired or that repeatedly occurred, like a short that fries a part till you catch the short.
    Yeah ... Had a Evin 70 do the same thing thats going on here. It camr in on a trailer, put it in the water and would run fine and then drop rpm big time. Put boat back on trailer, move it to the Dyno and it would run great forever! Finally pulled carbs apart and found a "Pencil Lead" in the float bowl! Go figure!

It would find its way to the main jet and partially kill that cyl. and then when the motor was tilted up to trailer position it would fall out, and run fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro25 View Post
    Yeah ... Had a Evin 70 do the same thing thats going on here. It camr in on a trailer, put it in the water and would run fine and then drop rpm big time. Put boat back on trailer, move it to the Dyno and it would run great forever! Finally pulled carbs apart and found a "Pencil Lead" in the float bowl! Go figure!

It would find its way to the main jet and partially kill that cyl. and then when the motor was tilted up to trailer position it would fall out, and run fine.
    hehehe, how about the carb and half motors (I call them that (Nissan)) where one carb doesn’t open all the way. Some at home see that and open them up. Then bring it in with idle issues. It’s not really noticeable from outside and motor generally runs great at 1/2+ throttle. I did timing and all kinds of stuff trying to get the idle down and not bogg out before I saw the plates both open all the way at full throttle.

Speaking of which does this have fast start and was it disabled when timing was set. After it warms up he wouldn’t have enough timing to make power over 4K if fast start was active during timing setting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymalyon View Post
    I have not. I bought a new house on the 11th and have been moving all my junk since. I just got the boat to the new house last night. Hopefully ill get a chance to inspect it this weekend.

Got the part you sent me, thanks again!
    Just read the entire thread. Have you figured this out yet? I have a 1990 GT200 with a similar issue.

5. Likes jaymalyon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iWireKansas View Post
    Just read the entire thread. Have you figured this out yet? I have a 1990 GT200 with a similar issue.
    Wow that was a lot of reading! Unfortunately, I have not solved the problem. The good thing is, I think we have created a thread here that has every single possible problem with one of these motors. I just haven't figured out which one it is yet....

I did manage to get get the timing set correctly right before the coronavirus ruined everything. I have a pretty hilarious video I've been meaning to upload of me with the boat strapped to the trailer running it wide open at the ramp. It was pretty sketchy to say the least.

Im 99% sure the timing is set correctly now and still can't hit wide open RPMs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might need an update and list of everything you've done(not sure about rereading all this..lol)was wondering about this and if you got anywhere?
    And yea definitely want to see that video!
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    Might need an update and list of everything you've done(not sure about rereading all this..lol)was wondering about this and if you got anywhere?
    And yea definitely want to see that video!
    Sound like a plan. I'll make some notes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem Solved!

After throwing a few more parts at this thing the last few months I think I have the problem solved.
    While timing the motor out on the water I noticed the water bypass valve on the starboard side was leaking pretty bad. This valve is a few inches away from the intake ports on the carburetor cover. I popped the carb cover off and noticed milky fuel/oil at the bottom and standing clear water on the carb bodies. Pulled the plugs and they were milky too. I took this as all good things because I've been running the boat almost every weekend hoping it would show me a sign.

So after rebuilding the carbs one more time and deleting the valve and upgrading the thermostats I ran it again last weekend and boom! All the power I have been lacking is back. Thanks for all the help from everyone on here. I figured it had to be some unique off the wall problem because everything I tried was a dead end.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the cylinder bores , scope when you get a chance.

11. Likes phillnjack liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you found the problem ����

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14