Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats your v4 boats size, gearing, motor, speed and prop?

hi, have a 14ft ski boat, with a 130 johnson ocean pro, with a 1.86:1 gear ratio it does 80km/h with a 14.125 x 17 prop at 4900rpm, i realise this is not revving enough so am curious as to speeds others with a similar setup are getting, please share what you know or suggest what prop type and size would get me going as fast as possible,

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do u have a jackplate? Stainless prop? Motor hittn on all cyl? Any pics u can post?

3. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Likes thunder77 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 16' Checkmate Trimate III with a 1990 v4 Evinrude 140 hp with a 2:1 ratio.
    I use an adjustable jack-plate with a 6" set-back and with various height adjustments these are the best numbers I have seen.
    Renegade 4 blade 21p, 55 mph @ 5700 rpm. Had throttle left but started to chine walk and I back out.
    Raker 3 blade 24p, 57 mph @5500. Rode smooth as could be, handles chop well.

All that being said, I think your motor has the v-6 lower unit on it. Great if it is set-up right, but not sure you are there yet. Your motor is probably struggling to turn the larger diameter prop, especially if it is buried to far in the water.

Best thing for you to do is take pictures of the type of boat you have, or at least identify what exactly it is. Each boat is unique in it's own way and trying to give you advice without knowing what you have will only waste your time and money.

5. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Likes Merc 2.5, thunder77 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, thanks for your reply, the boat is a 1972 pride cheetah that i have restored, there is a pic on my album of it, but here are a cpl more.. I built up transom originally and had cav plate around 1 inch above hull bottom, no jackplate, standard omc prop, but found it not to have enough "bite" in the chop i usually have to run in, and boat seemed to dig in deeper before going on plane.. so have since put it back level with the hull bottom, which seems to give me a bit more control over the pounding from inshore swells, and keep grip on the water a bit better, engine as far as i am aware seems to run well, just havent seen it rev above 5k yet...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_215619.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	433691
    Last edited by thunder77; 03-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    U have a aluminum prop to begin with ,u wont get much speed or bite , if u swap to the stainless raker will b a nite and day difference,, if ur only turnin 5k with a 17 aluminum prop. I would think ur mota should turn that prop easy on that boat. I would definitely check ur mota over for spark ,fuel and compression, how much that boat weigh?? Sumthin dnt seem rite to me

8. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, something is not right. I would check that motor over, is it hitting on all cylinders? Compression and leak down #'s?
    I also run a 17" sst (i believe) 3 blade stainless prop when on a certain small lake. Not sure of the top speed as I run out of rpm range way before I run out of throttle. Maybe some where in the low 40's. The reason I run that prop though is it allows me to stand the boat straight up on the transom and other acceleration type tricks. Being as I have an open bow, kids love to ride up front when I do that.

Anyways, something does not sound right with your set up. Link and sync? Throttle bore opening all the way up? Running a 17p prop on that setup, you should be on the limiter, not lugging the motor.

10. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Likes FMP, thunder77 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something definitely not right. I spin 6-6200RPM with a 17p stainless and about 5700 with a 19p aluminum on an 83 115 V4. Totally stock never opened mota, no idea the LR ratio. Runs around 45-50mph. 46 on GPS the one and only time I checked it with the 17p
    Hydrostream dreamin

12. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thankyou for your advice, will most certainly check engine over again, it seems to run well, compression is a solid 125-130 on all 4 cylinders, but link and sync i had trouble finding correct procedure to suit this motor, thought i had it correct but the prop diameter was too large for boat and that was why i wasnt getting full revs with it... to listen to motor at wot, it sounds like it is revving higher than what it reads, could tacho be faulty? not sure how many turns out for carb air mix screws either, have them set at 6 turns... if link and sync is wrong could this limit my revs like this and still run well? can anyone direct me to a link for link and sync for this particular motor, have not had much luck with this search, thanks, be very much apprctd...

p.s. yes throttle turns butterflys fully open...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure on boat weight, i run 50litres of fuel up front with two batteries, have just made 2 pods for transom to displace 50ltr, to help with weight of motor for getting on plane and stability at rest when 2 of us fishing at back, lol, almost got wet a few times while drifting... am going to try moving fuel tanks closer to cog and back of boat also, could this possibly be having much of an affect on my wot range if too much of hull being in water?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must be fun, have seen on youtube but this boat doesnt seem to be able to do it at this point... it seems to run real well, has me scratching my head now, could it run well and be so far out on the link and sync that revs are limited like this? been working on 2 strokes since i was a kid, so am not a newby to mechanicals, but only got into working on outboards within last couple of years as to my disbelief no local shops wanted to touch such an "old" engine... i think its the 2 litre looperAttachment 433765

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is what is giving him the slow speed, see bold below. We are all running our propshaft near the bottom of the hull he is running his cavitation plate at the bottom putting his prop shaft far below.
    Anyway my 15' viper with the propshaft about 1" below the pad runs 63mph with a 1973 135hp V4, 67mph with a 1993 115hp V4 (both crossflows) and 69 with a 1992 120hp v4 looper. All were using a 26p Mazco RE3 chopper prop.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder77 View Post
    hi, thanks for your reply, the boat is a 1972 pride cheetah that i have restored, there is a pic on my album of it, but here are a cpl more.. I built up transom originally and had cav plate around 1 inch above hull bottom, no jackplate, standard omc prop, but found it not to have enough "bite" in the chop i usually have to run in, and boat seemed to dig in deeper before going on plane.. so have since put it back level with the hull bottom, which seems to give me a bit more control over the pounding from inshore swells, and keep grip on the water a bit better, engine as far as i am aware seems to run well, just havent seen it rev above 5k yet...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_215619.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	416.7 KB 
ID:	433691
    Paul V.
    1987 Hydrostream Viper - 1973 V4 Evinrude 135 Crossflow "Shiny Motor"

17. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Likes thunder77, moatorbotin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh power packs wouldn't hurt either if its in the budget
    Hydrostream dreamin

19. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes I agree with Paul. For sum reasons. I was thinkin prop shaft not cav plate. Thunder. U need to start off by trimin mota down and put ur PROPSHAFT 1 or 2 in below pad, (mite need jackplate) do u have low water pickups? Bet u could free up 500 rpm by getting lower up out water and need try raker prop with little smaller diameter. Also. Fire motor up and put a timin lite on ea plug wire and if lite dont flash that cyl dead
    Last edited by Merc 2.5; 03-15-2019 at 06:56 AM.

21. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look at pic again, no l/w pickups,, do u have a water pressure guage?

23. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi, thanks for your responses, i dont have a water pressure gauge or the low water pickups, the transom is only 20inch, same as motor, so will have to look at making up some sort of jackplate for it, any simple ideas? two bits of L angle either side bolted together be enough ?..
    Am kind of pushing my luck finances wise already with everything i have collected, will have to sell off some bits then look at replacing powerpacks, do they wear out or create problems after a while or something? i pretty much spend all time on the water in the ocean, and its usually fairly choppy, will the added height and setback of engine be ok out there?
    Thankyou kindly, sounds like good advice so will get to trying it out,
    time for this boat this boat to scream n fly, lol...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast