Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 115 E Tec interchangeable parts with 2000 johnson ocean pro 130

hey everyone, this is my first real attempt at posting something i need help with, so hope i got it in the right section...
    I have a 1972 14ft pride cheetah that i have been restoring over the past couple of years, i think its similar to a sidewinder but will post some pics for you all soon. i have rebuilt a 2000 johnson 130 ocean pro that i bought cheap as a basket case. it had seized with a top crank bearing jamming between crank and case but was otherwise in great condition, its finally running pretty good now.. it has the 20 inch shaft and 1.86:1 gearcase from a previous johnson 185 that was originally intended for the boat but was too corroded..
    Yesterday while searching the local classifieds i came across an etec 115 with a blown cylinder and no l/u, when i went to see it, the guy also had a 1999 60degree optical omc 90hp with no l/u and one carb and head missing.. i ended up purchasing them both quite cheap, and now after searching the net i cannot seem to find any info on what if any parts will interchange to make my 130 any better.. the etec cylinder is pretty much destroyed, deep scratches and chips from where the ring broke up, not sure if should look at fixing it or somehow maybe fit the cowlings to my 130 which runs well but looks a bit old nowadays.. the 90 is also a v4, will any of the ignition or anything else fit, or if i put carbs from 130 or injection from 115 would this work? Does anybody here know if fuel injection system, charging system or anything like heads, starter or flywheel would be a possible match or hasnt this been attempted...? am in australia where the shops wont help or even touch anything over 10 years old, local knowledge is near non existant, and considering i have learnt soo much from here already, i thought it would be the best place to ask. thankyou to anyone knowledgeable enough, that takes the time to share constructive info that can assist me with any of this...

kind regards
    Last edited by thunder77; 03-09-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll give it a go from memory (probably wrong) and no books handy.

The ignition on the 90 might work, but the optical part was one of the issues with it ( think dirty CD player )

the carb and reeds iirc are to small ( the main difference for making them different hp)

cant remember the rev limiters and other controls.

I also think many accessories fit. Links levers and such

probabably no help though

never messed with etecs so no idea

3. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Likes thunder77 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    them are three completley different motors..130 is 90 deg v4 loop...90 is 60 deg loop..etec is it's own animal all together...parts are not interchangable without major mods...and then probably not for the better...IMO ....60 degree OMCs are the best motors built so far...you can read a bunch of crap about them on the internet, but in real life they are simple ,easy to work on,troubleshoot....good power to weight and fairly good on fuel for a carb two stroke....130 loop good old motor ,but hard on fuel....ETEC good on fuel and when they are running ,they are great....when you have problems they are complicated ...

5. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a sleeve in the etec. Rob the lower unit off the 90 and put it on the etec.

7. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an update fyi, i have found that the trim tilt unit has only one ram on the etec, compared to the ocean pro which has 3, took both legs off and have fitted the trim/tilt from the etec onto 130, the outer leg is the same but as i expected the adapter plate is different, the etec exhaust has some kind of variable exhaust?? the actual unit bolted up perfect, but i had to use the steering control arm and shaft from the 130 as the top is slightly different in height and top 2 bolt holes for top engine mount are closer together on the etec, just finished it now and, incase your interested, i found to my surprise that the etec trim tilt in 20" actually weighed around 11kg more than the ocean pro version, even with 2 less rams,, strange but i guess it must be a better ram...
    So for now i can confirm outer leg, whole trim/tilt, and lower engine mounts are absolutely interchangeable, l/u actually also fits into the etec leg much easier than trying to refit onto the ocean pro aswell, only negative that i didnt expect is the extra weight, the newer one moves faster also...

p.s. heads look interchangeable from 90 to 130 also...
    Last edited by thunder77; 03-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnt get the l/u with either of them, i only have the 20" 15 spline 1.86:1 will this be slowing me up? i think the motor should have at least a 2:1?Am thinking this may be the best way, run the 130 while fixing the etec, any idea of approx cost associated with sleeving it? also is it usually a blocked injector that causes this? thanks
    Last edited by thunder77; 03-09-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, it was from memory a lot of stuff changes, their used to be one it was just carb and reeds probably much older.

Gl on the build

11. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, i actually have a evinrude 225 looper 91ish model, tucked away also that i always intended to put on this boat, was just going to use powerhead on the 20" leg thats on boat already.. i have reinforced transom in a big way with 4 knees and steel securing from below the floor on stringers going to top engine bolts, through the splashwell with several layers of glass on top, floor is foam filled and new so hull is very strong, have also used ssteel threaded rod for top engine bolts and taken them through to front of splashwell where they tie in with a ski pole to the floor, i have also just made pods to at least float it back to original draught before the heavier motor... this is now where i am getting lost, i cant make up my mind what motor to use after my latest purchase, the 90 is too small, would the 2000 model 130 ocean pro be more reliable and powerfull than the 2007 etec 115? would the fuel usage at wot be much different between them? finally any idea if the 225 would use heaps more fuel on such a small boat as i can only carry around 50ltr at moment, am going to open another thread but thought you may know at least more than me, as i am fairly new to boating and have no idea really...?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    225 would use way more fuel. Boats run in full power mode to maintain rpm. The prop hold you to x rpm not the throttle like in a car.

The etec can adjust to minimum to maintain rpm power instead of full power all the time like a carb. As you mainly only need 80% to maintain rpm. So fuel saved.

Now would a 225 run 30mph different and due to rpm difference between them to make 30 mph. It’s possible you could use less fuel.

What size boat?

130 beats 115. Powers power

14. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thankyou for your reply, the boat is only 14ft, similar to a sidewinder, but at this stage have only gotten it up to 80kmh, which isnt nearly what i had expected... revs being at 4900 flat out, thee prop is 14.5 x 17, am thinking i may have a problem in that the gearing i have on it is the 1.86: 15 spline gearcase as i bought motor after leg had sold already and have a cpl of these legs... would it be wiser to get different gearing before buying another prop?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, maybe not 80kph isn’t to bad. For a starting spot. I started at 56k and only recently hit 75k and I’m stuck there till I modify something.

Gearing is more or less personal. The one you have should be faster than 2:1. If solid mounted I would work on height of the engine first. A hole or two should add about 500 rpm.
    '06 Tracker All-Fish/Tournament V-18 90 Optimax, 46.8 gps Goal one complete reach 45 mph.

17. Thanks thunder77 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fyi, have now learnt that optical 90 powerpack is the same powerpack as the ocean pro 130, just in a different configuration for where it mounts..
    The optical 90 flywheel and stator is the same as the etec flywheel and stator, directly interchangeable, so are the coil packs, rear half of block looks to be different but the crankshaft and the front half of block look the same, will update as i learn more...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The injectors on the e tech are chipped serial numbers like car keys. Will take a tech to do computer stuff to make them work with different computer. Last I heard. Their epa emissions compliance thing.