Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    That's why I didn't mind investing a little time and money in building reliable tooling to do those heads. They are odd enough that not everyone can do them. Only oddballs ..

These motors have a compression notch, I know on the early 3.0L it's worth 10 lbs cranking comp. on a gauge. They say it doesn't have time to affect them @ 6000 rpm. Run it a while , let's see how it does ..
    Great work, guys. Chaz, would you be willing to cut my 3.3 HPDI 250 heads to about the same tolerances of this project? I’d like kick mine up a notch.
    "I'm tryin' ta think but nothin' happens"
    Curly Howard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you sir !

And yes I am willing to do the heads for you .

I'll PM you, my shipping address etc ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Gents

Thanks for posting the build of this engine. I'm in the process of purchasing a 250 HPDI that needs a rebuild. I have a quick question for you, do you think there is any benefit putting the 300HP head son this motor. I know they have different port timing and ECU but everything else seems to be the same. Do you think there would be much gain in doing this? I'm not racing the engine I want it stock (mostly) just liek to get the most out of it.

Cheers
    Jason

Sold the old Formula 233.
    Now have a 22ft Whittley Sea Legend powered by 225 Excel with Pro-V 200 covers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Increasing compression and tightening squash will definitely help. I’m not a Yamaha guru so I can’t answer if the 300 heads are any better/ different than your 250. If you can establish that they have lower cc or better squash, then yes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FORBESAUTO View Post
    Welp, so far good, and mission seems to be accomplished. Cust took it the river this weekend, while he had it idling at the landing, he had three different people come over and ask him what all he had done to it. He said it sounds sweet. Fuel reading from plugs is safe and good at 4K. He said the initial take off from idle is a little sluggish, but about 1/2 way through take off when it hits close to 3k it slingshots out the hole and accelerates unbelievably better than before. Says it’s feels super free and very responsive to the throttle. He put 4 more hours on it and is loving it! Told me there’s no comparison in the acceleration of now compared to the way it was, he’s very satisfied with the results. Now if I can just keep him from getting too antsy and finish break in.
    How did your gent end up the season. All good after break in etc? Great thread, thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think he’s barely had time to get it broken in. I know he was thrilled with the mid range acceleration, not sure if he’s ran up top to see if gained mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfinished plugs I’m making to fill the center main cavities in cylinders 3 and 5. Wanted to make sure they fit snug and would lock in place before doing the final trimming and smoothing. Thinking about making a spare set to use as patterns and get someone to make some out of Teflon or billet or something.
    Attachment 432246Attachment 432247
    I'd be interested in a set of these if you ended up making them. Otherwise I will use an epoxy when the time comes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the sleeve swapped out and porting done. On this build I’m not changing transfers, booster, or lower ports, only cleaning up block behind the liner to make smooth transition to ports. I’m raising the exhaust port to yield 24 degrees blowdown, but putting more arch in top of port than the 300 to make more bottom end and mid range to better suit the boat it’s going on. Porting is done except on new sleeve. I’ll post pics of what I’ve done when get back in shop and finish up new sleeve and clean block up.
    So you opted to replace the #2 sleeve instead of boring it out .010, was that simply so you didn't have to do the other 5?
    Down here in AU boring may be easier to get done but will check my options.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 225XCL View Post
    I'd be interested in a set of these if you ended up making them. Otherwise I will use an epoxy when the time comes.
    No, didn’t take the time to make a pattern set. Wish I would have, but not sure how many of these I’ll be building.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 225XCL View Post
    So you opted to replace the #2 sleeve instead of boring it out .010, was that simply so you didn't have to do the other 5?
    Down here in AU boring may be easier to get done but will check my options.
    The sleeve was cracked folded I’m at top of exhaust port from heat. Had to replace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think he’s barely had time to get it broken in. I know he was thrilled with the mid range acceleration, not sure if he’s ran up top to see if gained mph.

How is it running?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, just saw this and been busy and haven’t been on as much. Unfortunately has had some mishaps. He ran into some rocks down in Venice and damaged bottom of boat. We had another injector that was on edge of tolerance. A new one was around $400. I had told him let’s find a set used and get em tested and cleaned, then pick the best balance of all and put in engine accordingly. Well low and behold he found a set for like $100 and put em in motor himself with no testing because seller told him they where good. Well you know if someone has whole set they don’t need, it’s because what’s around is toast, and mo than likely for a good reason. Well, you know the rest of the story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BOOM/………..Dry fire.... Lean burn......K car.....dammm**** and snozzeles…...I like rich carbs......and High timming…...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, just saw this and been busy and haven’t been on as much. Unfortunately has had some mishaps. He ran into some rocks down in Venice and damaged bottom of boat. We had another injector that was on edge of tolerance. A new one was around $400. I had told him let’s find a set used and get em tested and cleaned, then pick the best balance of all and put in engine accordingly. Well low and behold he found a set for like $100 and put em in motor himself with no testing because seller told him they where good. Well you know if someone has whole set they don’t need, it’s because what’s around is toast, and mo than likely for a good reason. Well, you know the rest of the story
    O no. Man that sucks and I bet he learned his lesson on playing with injectors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALWAYS have injectors tested after purchasing them unless you purchase from a REPUTABLE injector shop. I've lost count on how many "just serviced" or "flow matched" sets I've tested that aren't even good for scrap. Its too bad you had to learn this the hard way.

Blake

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast