Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the pics on the other thread, the top over bottom triples vs side by side triples. Not sure which version goes with which T but the side by side results in far more equal length to system exit. Both versions have independent triples which run pulses within that triple without interference to the other triple, divided.
    Spacing lengths within the triple of side by side version would likely enable higher ex durations and port to port pulse arrival time in optimum range earlier in the rpm range and still hold into the high rpm. Scavenging of both sides, triples would be near equal vs the top over bottom triples.

Would be interesting to see all the versions, chest to end and the fire orders.

Last edited by FMP; 02-23-2019 at 04:30 PM.

2. Thanks Xtoffer72 thanked for this post
    Likes Xtoffer72, gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    subscribed.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    My opinion is that you should call that guy in Idaho and ask if he is still looking for that TII crank that he knows is in his shop somewhere! Tell him to quit looking, you have found it! .....

You guys have touched on a number of things, here's what I remember (or think I remember).....

The practice of using connecting rods with polished I-beams began with the 1350 stacker. There was a bit of a rod breaking problem that carried over from the 1250. Engineering determined the problem was a small percentage of defective forgings. From then on, all of the rods used at Racing were sent to the engineering prop shop where they were ground and polished. Racing bought a zyglo machine and all the polished rods were examined for cracks before they could be used in assembly. The Twister sold to the racing public was assembled at the Fond du lac boathouse, not at Racing in Oshkosh. I think the use of polished rods was continued for the build of 100 Twisters.

I don't remember the sequence of events that affected the location of the water discharge on the exhaust log. Seems like we tested the Cowbell before the Twister, late summer of 1970 I'd guess. The Cowbell, being a shorter log, probably had the discharge on the top. When we started testing the Twister, I think it was determined that letting the water exit early was causing a hot spot in the middle of the block, so we switched to a discharge at the bottom of the log. The specs for the Twister build may have already been established with a top discharge by then and the change to the bottom may have just fallen through the cracks. I know that when we ran the Twister in Paris that year, it had a bottom discharge. I also think the Offshore group at Lake X used a different configuration, making three different looks?

So in 1971, the racing public is buying the Twister and the Racing Team is using changes from engineering at Plt #6 to make the Twister stronger. When finished, these changes will be incorporated into the Twister I. I think the TI build called for 50 complete motors and 50 rebuild kits. The reason for the kits was to allow those racers that had the ability to rebuild a powerhead an opportunity to get updated for far less than the cost of a complete new motor. The kit required a new block because of the milled intake 'fingerport', new 'scalloped' reed blocks, a new exhaust log because I think the exhaust tuning had been improved and all the other items you would want to use when rebuilding your powerhead (bearings, rings, etc.).

However, I don't remember the kit including a crankshaft. The Twister and TI used the same crank, why increase the kit cost by including a new one? Especially one the buyer can't even use without some very expensive machining if he can even find someone that can do the work? Sounds like a mistake to me.

One additional little tidbit ..... When the company decided that it was going to offer the Twister I and the rebuild kits, our racing group was the only one building that version. As a result, we were the most familiar with it and I was told to put a list together of what would be included with the kits! I did and someone then turned it into the official bill of material for the people in Fondy that would be putting the kits together. You would think that I could remember whether or not a crankshaft was on the list ....

Your Switzer and Twister I believe .....

Attachment 431602
    Thanks for the information. That does shed some light. The crank was inside the box with the kit, so that does suggest a boxing error. Having no crank makes sense and also explains the lack of connecting rods. I'll try and take some pictures next week of the components in the box. That IS my former Switzer with the twister, but has somebody's art work with the cowbell image on the side. The boat is long gone unfortunately, but I still have the engine here and it hasn't been cranked since the day it came off the boat..
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post
    Thanks for the information. That does shed some light. The crank was inside the box with the kit, so that does suggest a boxing error. Having no crank makes sense and also explains the lack of connecting rods. I'll try and take some pictures next week of the components in the box. That IS my former Switzer with the twister, but has somebody's art work with the cowbell image on the side. The boat is long gone unfortunately, but I still have the engine here and it hasn't been cranked since the day it came off the boat..
    Wow, too bad no pic a Star with that Twister Norris! I have known Bobby Switzer since, well way too long as lived Illinois near him and Carol. My 10 year older brother had a Baby Switzer 20H Merc when I was a 6 years old kid! Sad Bobby has passed on, but never forgotten. I been west coast 25 years now (Idaho border state here WA). Out here my Merc Guru (Dr Frankenmerc) has a couple Twisters. I haven't seen him awhile as (lives 20 miles from me) I been laid up. Getting better, stent in leg have blood flow again! Gotta see him summer. Always a soft spot me anything Switzer or MERC! Link Shooting Stars pix..

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...9&action=close
    Last edited by Robby321; 02-22-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Actually all these motors have 3 into 1 exhaust, just differently achieved. The T2 motors are stacked as 3 over 3, the other motors are alternating even/odd three into one. Length determines the time one pulse hits an adjacently timed cylinder's exhaust. The fishing motors and Twisters have cylinder spacing that limits peak rpm below 7,000; the T2 & X have the grouped cylinders closer together, but so close that an extension housing and passage were needed to work in the 7,000 - 8,000 rpm range.

I have and have possessed a bunch of Twister and apparent T-1 silos. The water outlets vary quite a bit as does the internal water flow in the silo, but the tuning appears to be the same in all.
    How much of a spacer and have you the actual export to export distances at the cylinder within the triple? I would think the spacer was to delay the arrival through distance port to port at the lower rpm to a more beneficial arrival range before port closing to save an over ported bottom , mid range outcome. The higher duration if ported so enabling the high 8000.
    Actual port ° numbers would be interesting.
    Last edited by FMP; 02-23-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey raceman How the hell have you been
    1994 Brad Collins Mirage Jag.with 1990 2.4 BP E.F.I Offshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twisters were 135 type blocks... so big log setup. When Merc came out with the 140/150 blocks the inner plate was different, it had the exhaust angled back forth.... where the 135 style blocks and inner plate went 90* of the bores. Merc did that on stock motors to give more breathing in the log. The T2 used the same Idea on inner it was angled, just paired in 3 +3. The spacer gave more area.... that matched the lower exhust tube for the rear exhust log. It was all about closer pairing and flow. And less weight, easyer casting. Just IMO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spacer would yield longer port to port pairing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spacer that I am talking about bolts to the block..... giving more area. Your not on the same page.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the block and exhaust ? I need a pic ?

From the line of parts https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...ial-lookup-T2&
    Last edited by FMP; 02-23-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at Drolls pixs in that thread..... If you look at the block pixs....the spacer has the throttle pivot.The next pixs show the different exhaust plates. The 2 to the Left are T2s. It,s hard just looking at pixs but the long run is top clys and tuna tube. The short one is the bottom bank pairing... the tuna tube is in the exhaust housing. The is no tuna tube for the long bank in the exhaust housing. Darn I could use a drink.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I see the removable spacer. The two on the left are T2, top bottom triples. Long, short run to ex end.
    The short run is lacking the distance to end.
    Both triples remain independent to each end with the spacer, so port to port distances increase within the triple. A facing view of the ex port side with spacer and all without cover should show this.

14. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more area , where do achieve this? I see it as more ex runner length from sleeve to outlet within the common triple. A couple more inches travel distance from port to common triple to next closing port within that triple. That would achieve a few extra degrees of delay as mentioned above.

16. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can,t explane it to you and I give up, if you have it all..ALL in hand it starts making sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to give up, the spacer must increase the runner length while keeping the triples independent of each other or it all spills together.

19. Likes Mark75H liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast