Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Tuner, Heads, and ECU for stock 96' 225 Pro Max?

1. I Want to remove the rev limiter or at least be able to spin to 7500- 8000. Can my stock ECU be re-flashed?

2. Also what heads will work for moderate compression increase, Not wanting 200+psi. still want to be able to run mix pump gas(race fuel +pump gas or toluene + pump gas)

3. What tuner will work that will increase HP or is the PM tuner good already?

Thanks in advance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Question #1 not real sure what can b done to it , contact brucato ,
    #2 , cut heads to 34cc , will yield 145ish compression, run premium only
    #3 I would think ur tuner is just fine , could get urself a Bob's but no matter what tuner u use ,dnt expect any hp gains ,

3. Likes coffeeguy, KIRCHNER liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on the others

but as noted ted turner just fine tunes the powerband, your still limited by the hub. Hp gains would come from port work and timing or cutouts. Some are available for higher rpm operations.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would cut heads and add all of Carson's, reeds,stuffers,intake spacer, with all 4 things done, will yield a big difference u will feel in seat of ur pants

6. Likes coffeeguy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you not getting intrusive with the motor , I cut Pro Max 225 heads to 34cc’s utilizing the 1mm head gaskets , I use only TDR reed valves they have proved to be bullet proof in our all out race to recreational engines for 25 years ,can’t be any better than the stock 225 PM tuner , I’d rethink spinning that stock cast piston motor 8k with side pin locator pins and stock nylon con rod bearings your asking to possibley loose your entire investment , 7000 rpms Is what I suggest on a long life 225 build , I build them weekly and mine live long term with no issues at no more than 7K ....

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Smith; 02-21-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to all J has said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc 2.5 View Post
    I would cut heads and add all of Carson's, reeds,stuffers,intake spacer, with all 4 things done, will yield a big difference u will feel in seat of ur pants
    I would tend to agree. Not only does Carson make a great product line, but he thinks enough of his customer base to provide a direct link to himself on this site as well as sponsoring this tech section.

Forum: Technical Discussion

The place for mechanics, racers, governing body officials, tech-talk junkies, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.Sponsored by: Chris Carson's Marine/CCMS Custom Reeds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris has the best customer service

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like someone already mentioned.....if you're not willing to replace the pistons with some that have a better rep for not losing ring pins, I wouldn't fool with the ecu (rpm limit). It can get expensive fast ….been there & done that. I probably wouldn't even recommend increasing the compression as it would just put more stress on the locator pins as well. From every thing I've heard and experienced, the promax is very durable in stock form but when you start leaning on it the weakest link exposes itself and that is the piston locator pins. The plastic cage bearings probably wouldn't be great for higher rpm either although I don't recall ever hearing of them failing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies guys! really appreciate it. My best top speed to date was last week I tried a 29P 3bld Cleaver (Ron Hill) 79MPH on the limiter @6700 RPM. So I was getting a lot of slip and Zero bow lift no matter the trim angle. My hull is a somewhat heavy 20' Ceebee Avenger Mod VP I'm guessing the hull is around 1000 to 1100 lbs ??

With my hydraulic jackplate all the way up my shaft is at least 1" below the pad I don't know why the cleaver is slipping so much, probably diameter. I believe it's 14" my 26 ET cut chopper fly's the bow well and jumps out of the water tops out at 6400-6700 on the limiter at about 77MPH. I'm going to try a 30p small ear chopper and 26p 4 blade cleaver next time out , the 4bld should be interesting as it's unlike most I've seen. It's pretty high rake + being a four blade should bite well and the high rake I'm thinking maybe more bow lift when I trim out, the 29 3bld cleaver I think had so much stern lift it was actually making the bow plow .

So no more than 7000 RPM's huh Jay Smith?? Alright your the man so I will take your advice! Until I Need to rebuild which then of course I'd opt for top Pinned Pistons. I'd be happy with mid 80's with this hull, Hell I'm happy with it now! Alright so 34 cc heads and CCMS Reeds / Stuffers and see what she do.

Thanks again everyone!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not a ecu feller but I'd want sum info knowing that the stock system will support that kinda compression, will it be rich enough ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock ECU supports 140 lbs compression fine at sea level and 23-25 * timing , just be sure fuel pump and its system is clean and clear , I see pressures normally at 34-38 psi IF you see higher pressures your small screen - filter is blocked under regulator and it must be removed and cleaned to get a healthy fuel system . This plugged return screen will make an EFI overpressured run sluggish lazy and drink unnecessary fuel , a low lead timing will also kill a 225 bottom and cause a motor to be super lazy and take forever for the bottom end to clean up ... More to the absolute top performance ability on these engines than most knows ..

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lookin' at all ya post and can't find one that mentions "what kinda hull" ya foolin' with.. will make a huge difference on what ya tryin' ta accomplish and how ta get there ?...

16. Likes FORBESAUTO liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100 % I tell every customer if your contemplating an engine builder and he doesn’t ask you about the hull configuration , WEIGHT , and your expectations run from the guy don’t walk. You can get a cookie cut POS that’s not tailored for your needs and rig ...

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I seen them 1.25 and 1.50 reading glasses down to the Wally World store... Purty cheap too ..

My hull is a somewhat heavy 20' Ceebee Avenger Mod VP I'm guessing the hull is around 1000 to 1100 lbs ??

19. Likes 90 5.0 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast