Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    they look expensive... The helicopter I mean...
    The initial cost isn't bad. About $300-400 for the heli. Another couple hundred for the radio. Another couple hundred for high torque servos - another $50 when you nicked the ground with the blades and had to buy new. Another $200 for the ball-bearing upgrades (get rid of all the bushings). And about $5 in fuel for every 10 minute flight.

Thunder Tiger ftw! I'll never forget the time I lost my muffler mid flight. It started getting loud... then BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ... I didn't know wtf happened. Then the motor died mid air and I half-azzed auto gyroed down. She bounced a bit, but luckily nothing broke.

They're pretty tough. usually it's the little linkages that break, and they're pennies to replace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by home made tunnel View Post
    The initial cost isn't bad. About $300-400 for the heli. Another couple hundred for the radio. Another couple hundred for high torque servos - another $50 when you nicked the ground with the blades and had to buy new. Another $200 for the ball-bearing upgrades (get rid of all the bushings). And about $5 in fuel for every 10 minute flight.

Thunder Tiger ftw! I'll never forget the time I lost my muffler mid flight. It started getting loud... then BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ... I didn't know wtf happened. Then the motor died mid air and I half-azzed auto gyroed down. She bounced a bit, but luckily nothing broke.

They're pretty tough. usually it's the little linkages that break, and they're pennies to replace.
    I walked out of the hobby shop with my 500 Trex CF for well over a grand... That included a bad ass balance charger though. Hitec metal geared servos, Futaba gyro.... No expense spared. I had flown the cheap ones and they sucked!

When ever I crashed it was a nice one. Blade grips, balls and links, tails and blades. I went back to the belted tail from the one with drive shaft because of cost. Also when to fiberglass blades VS CF. I finally built another complete head, and tail. With that and other parts (gears, bearings, ball joints, etc) I have enough to at least fly it twice! LOL!

Tough... that depends on how hard it takes a hit... I named mine "Shovel" because it liked the dirt so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC300002.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	393.9 KB 
ID:	431491

Name:	P2160006.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	431492

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    I walked out of the hobby shop with my 500 Trex CF for well over a grand... That included a bad ass balance charger though. Hitec metal geared servos, Futaba gyro.... No expense spared. I had flown the cheap ones and they sucked!

When ever I crashed it was a nice one. Blade grips, balls and links, tails and blades. I went back to the belted tail from the one with drive shaft because of cost. Also when to fiberglass blades VS CF. I finally built another complete head, and tail. With that and other parts (gears, bearings, ball joints, etc) I have enough to at least fly it twice! LOL!

Tough... that depends on how hard it takes a hit... I named mine "Shovel" because it liked the dirt so much!

CF and Fiberglass - Man you're impressive. I stuck with the Wooden blades. And yea, I never went to the driveshaft style. Always belt tail rotor.
    I had LOTS of hours on the simulator though. RealFlight.

I never was thrilled about the R/C boats though (sacrilegious I know). I grew up with my father teaching me how to fly model airplanes. I had a Dumas swamp buggy with an old airplane motor my dad had lying around, way underpowered. Unless you're driving along side a real boat, the model boats are kinda boring.

4. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is all they offer for the Align... I even have a set of Curtis Youngblood CF blades that are too pretty to fly.

That is what I used too, RealFight. I used it so much I wore it out and bought the wireless model. LOL!!!

Ah, the right boat can get your heart beat up. I had a 60" ModVP style hull with a large nitro motor. It would run a bit over 70 before it would blow over...

I found an outrigger hydro I am fixing to pick up for a little of nothing.

I have really gotten into the foam planes in the past couple years. They are just too easy!!!

Name:	DSC02224.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	431549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02228.jpg 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	431552

I love the FMS King Fisher. It comes with floats and even a camera mount for FPV.

Name:	DSC02226.jpg 
Size:	410.2 KB 
ID:	431553

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to make a mini-mold for a deep V cigarette style boat, and put a chainsaw or cheap HomeDepot weedwacker motor in it. The problem is finding cheap running gear. For just a stuffing box, rudder, shaft, and prop, some places want a couple hundred dollars.

7. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2