Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kwik way boring bar question

Recently got this kwik way bar model FW and it came with two tool kits small and large bore.Large boring head is in machine and works great 2.8 in - 4.8 in the instruction book tells how to swap boring heads to 2.2 in - 2.8 in but no diagrams and I don't quite understand the written procedure for the swap.It must be fairly easy to do but don't want to f up anything as most cyls I will be doing is 3 in up. Any shop guys can help out ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bar head pics 003.jpg   bar head pics 002.jpg   bar head pics 001.jpg  
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If u know James Perry any , he loves to discuss machining tools , let me no if u need info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on internet and I can't believe they are charging for a manual.

http://kwik-way.com/opm/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
    Daddy taught me to never force anything but to just get a bigger hammer.

1995 19'0" Champion bass boat
    1995 200 XRI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dealt with Kwikway for years and while they have a quality product their level of pride is out of bounds. ! lapping disc over $200 on the FWS. Couple gears sveral hundred dollars. Head for FN was well over a thousand.Blind hole consumable for FWS a couple hundred. Very good tools just pricey.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys I got an email off kwik way to codersupply.com who now has the boring bar line and waiting for a response ? If not will talk with perry if need be.
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    I have dealt with Kwikway for years and while they have a quality product their level of pride is out of bounds. ! lapping disc over $200 on the FWS. Couple gears sveral hundred dollars. Head for FN was well over a thousand.Blind hole consumable for FWS a couple hundred. Very good tools just pricey.

Rock
    This one was used in a snowmobile shop and has not been used in 10 + yrs and is in great cond and bores very well.It did not have a blind hole tool holder/cutter and found one on ebay new for 135.00 with a triangle bit and got two spares for 8 bucks apiece. I just bored all my crossflow blocks 25 holes on the same bit and have not rotated to the other two points on the same bit yet.My shop I use charges me dealer cost 55.00 a hole any brand so now I just saved myself 1400.00 and I got the bar,two tool kits,the factory table all for 2900.00. Will be paid for very soon as now I will be able to do outboard,snomobile,motorcycle,atv . You would think a large city like mpls/st.paul would have many shops that do these small engines NOT very few only two I know of and have been doing this for 30 + yrs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a couple shops that will do 2 strokes but not very well. That is why I bought my machine. The shop mine came out of was the premier shop in the area till it wasn't. Bought the bench and both boring bars and after getting them in my shop I discovered why the "premier" shop wasn't premier anymore. Both bars needed massive rebuilds. Got rid of air float and pneumatic centering. Rebuilt both bars and they work great. Now it is time to do the 048 universal bench. If there is a place for air to leak, it does. One day soon it will be all it can be. Congrats on the new machine. You will never regret buying it.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

8. Thanks racervboat thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    I found this on internet and I can't believe they are charging for a manual.

http://kwik-way.com/opm/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
    I was gonna say .. Strange thing happened today. My wife went to the grocery store .. and them S.O.B's had the nerve to charge her for a gallon of milk ..

Instead, I'll say that there are three things wrong with Kwik-Way tools. Employees that don't care, China and more recently India.
    Maintain them properly and don't bite off more than they can chew and they will literally outlive the owner.
    Chinese built an exact copy. Bore's within .001 , Sell's for half price, free manuals for life in 32 languages . And a fortune cookie that say : When POS machine break - use KwikWay part to fix !
    Lets face it, the old American companies are not coming back. If I was in the market for a brand new boring bar or honing system, I would look long and hard at some of the stuff coming out of India. But since I'm not ...

I had to do a little looking around, but I was able to find a 052 table system for my FN bar. Air bag lifts off of the switch on the right side. I made bushings that fit the mains for 2.5 and 3.0L blocks as well as deck spacer blocks to clear the Exhaust hump and the under side of the table .

I also have a KwikWay Powerhone. Nowhere near the floor space or cost of a Sunnen CV machine and the only thing it can't do is hone the main's of automotive blocks
    ( about a $7000.00 upgrade on a CV) Still holds 40 gallons of oil, uses sunnen AN 818 series stones and guides , auto and manual , dwell button , pressure meter , etc.

10. Likes BoomerMuskoka liked this post