Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

19 Eliminator tunnel with 200xs ROS 1.75 gearcase prop recomendatio

So posted a question for recommnded all around prop for a 200xs on a tunnel and I have learned 1 inch lower prop pitch for the 1.75 gear et vs the 1.87 . Anyone have any experience with the motor and hull to help ascertain a great prop to begin this hull motor relationship . The hull is a Kevlar build - doubt that it' is superlight and a 4 inch manual lift sits on the setack bracket from Eliminator . To will state the stock transom setback bracket is rather unusual - in that it looks the usual 6- 8 inches off the back but wraps around and returns to the stringers . I suspect it is stock Eliminator stuff of the day 1980 and was only to mount any behemoth Mercury sold and stay put . I will say the build quality of this hull and brackets is nice . Not that I'm a guy who grew up and around this stuff to know but just have not seen anything similar while surfing the threads . I did have a similar hull - Cougar 19 and found knee braces small aluminum triangles and the through transom bolts and transom plate creating a pull condition . This is stout in comparison . Nothing against Cougar builds - some I have seen are exceptional - coreing and stringers . I like the look . But back to the task - what prop and pitch is the above question . Enough about my enfactuation with exposed stringers and coreing . Just could use some solid advice on a nice old boat with a gen2 - new to me . Thank God this site is available for those that havnt been there and done it already 40 years ago

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in Ontario are you? Maybe we could run our 200XSs and try props on a nice day. I've got 5 props to try. So far I've only run my 28 Hydromotive T4X on my SS2000.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Belwood Lake - David . About 4 hours apart . Nice offer on the props and run - let' keep in touch . How did the 28 play out . I suspected 26-27 would be all it would turn . Flat on the bottom with the 28 ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be very worth your while to make it to one of our Otonabee river runs in the summer. Large variety of boats, and if planning ahead there's always guys willing to do a little prop testing. Anthony SS runs an STV river rocket with a 200xs, runs very well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Given that it’s a fatshaft your options to try may be limited.
    switch to a small shaft, different story.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies - I have reached out to several members and will see what I get back . Excellent forum - let' see what we can come up with - without buying a raft of props . Appreciate the efforts so far . Chat it up - David what' contact info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kellytheaker View Post
    So posted a question for recommnded all around prop for a 200xs on a tunnel and I have learned 1 inch lower prop pitch for the 1.75 gear et vs the 1.87 . Anyone have any experience with the motor and hull to help ascertain a great prop to begin this hull motor relationship . The hull is a Kevlar build - doubt that it' is superlight and a 4 inch manual lift sits on the setack bracket from Eliminator . the stock transom setback bracket is rather unusual - in that it looks the usual 6- 8 inches off the back but wraps around and returns to the stringers . But back to the task - what prop and pitch is the above question . Just could use some solid advice on a nice old boat with a gen2 - new to me . Thank God this site is available for those that havnt been there and done it already 40 years ago
    Interesting that you are running a new Gen 2 ROS 200XS on that hull. Posting a picture or two of the back end might help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHICH HULL DO YOU HAVE????

Eliminator did not make a 19' Tunnel but they did make a ModVP style tunnel with a center pod.

These hulls were originally designed for a jet pump, so unless you modify the center pod, you will need stupid setback and a prop with much compromise. So far the Mercury Promax prop is the best performing I have tried with the unmodified center pod. I am currently cutting down my center pod so the Outboard can be moved further forward and give a better flight attitude with higher running height. I was recently at the Eliminator factory in California, spoke to them in great detail about my planned modifications to my 21' Daytona and was shown numerous examples of how Eliminator is and has updated their hulls, center pods and transoms for running outboards.

LMK if you need help and post pics of your boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I stand corrected mod tunnel - tell me all you saw and learned - tech is of great importance to most of us . I spoke with Bob each just last year and he was such a good person to chat with at length . Show or tell us what you learned as far as improvements and changes to the centre pod and transom . I have seen a few threads on removing the last foot or so of the centre pod- promoting an improved flow of water for the prop to bite on . And the pro max prop is a chopper? Cleaver? .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pro Max is a 4 blade round ear thru hub prop. It replaced the ET in Merc's line up. A friend of mine loves them.

John Tiger did a bunch of testing with 21' Cougar tunnels in Hotboat Magazine a million years ago and liked the 3 blade Merc ET the best. Light load top speed only I'd think that or something similar would work for you.

Bellwood lake is 2 hours from our cottage (Orillia) and it's more or less on my way home to Windsor. I could stop by on a Sunday afternoon with a prop or two.

I ran the 28 T4X up to 87 after break in was done. The motor was low enough that the boat was tilted to the left. There's more there. I just want to see 90 and call it good.

Don't be afraid to buy props. You can always sell them. I think of it as renting. I'd start with 26. There is a 26 ET for sale here and it's even in ON

https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...h-26p-flawless!

Or you can look on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-1-2-X-26...o5G0:rk:1:pf:0

I'm thinking about this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Signature-E....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by David; 02-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelly, it was great speaking with you on the phone last night!

Here is the link to the ProMax propeller. I KNOW it was the best choice for my Eliminator and since our hulls come from squirt-boat DNA, unless you modify the tunnel, it will always need some sort of rigging band-aid to fly like it should with an outboard.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-pr...board/pro-max/

Unfortunately with the boats we have, one simply cannot compare rigging, props or other configurations from another hull design to ours. I have tested five different props with my 300X and will simply have to do it all over again once my hull mods are completed. For now... your best bet is finding a ProMax prop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply and solid prop findings on a similar platform to make an informed decision . I did find the same page on the promax as you forwarded . I did read some threads as well . Interesting threads on the ET vs ET PRO 4 blade then the Promax showed being the latest addition to the Merc lineup . Thanks for the info and narrowing the field . Appreciate the brotherhood here , always willing to share the facts that were usually learned the hard way - thanks for shortening that curve

13. Likes Tango liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the mention David... we need to start our own 200XS club ��

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I'm just finally finding the time to rig this hull with this motor and ran a few gallons through it . David a member from Windsor dropped off a couple props - 24 drag 4 and a Hydromotive 28 pitch . Thanks David . Really appreciate the hand with the lends and drop off . By the time I had recognized the need to have a correct prop type and pitch - I had missed the opportunity on the forum due to my late timing . So I will test this hull and motor combo tomorrow morning with a decent prop oppotunity. I wanted to test it as soon as I had the props but best tomorrow when the lake is quieter and weekend traffic is back at work . So David you have a big heart and thanks - nice meeting you both .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I had the opportunity to test David' props 24 drag 4 and 28 hydromotive . First up was 24 pitch - sporty was level with pad and setback has tip/intake of the sporty sitting 8 inches of the stern. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190716_112929.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	457.5 KB 
ID:	446033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190716_113034.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	446.2 KB 
ID:	446034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190716_113045.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	446035so 24 is great hole hot quick to run up to 6500 Rpm and 80 mph and still climbing and I back away - I have very little seat time at 80 and wind gusts are making me timid as I exit shadows . So I try to get used to the new motor, hull and characteristics of this combination . I spent an hour with the 24 drag4 and switch over to the 28 hydromotive . The 28 digs a whole and cavitates on launch and I notice bow rise and allow the prop to bite at 3500 rpm . The prop cruises nicely and when pressed upward it settles out at around 6000 Rpm and acceleration is of course weaker and seems to need lifted up to continue further towards the 7000 Rpm limiter . I did notice a chine walk several times around 70 mph and suspect hull is either about to air out or it is airing out and it'
    Sitting on the sporty and I am too low and need to raise it up and allow the sponsons to do their job . I believe that what I'm experiencing . So I have gone up one hole on the clamp - meaning 3/4 of an inch above the pad . Joe Perog offered up a lend of his arsenal of props but got lucky and Randy Corson had a 26ET that Joe had not know about!! and I have it coming shortly . So I believe a 26 ET pitch will produce a decent performing hole hot and hopefully a strong run up into 85 or so and still leave some rpm room on the powerband to go further . So 3/4 " up and 26 pitch soon to be tested and hopefully i find improvement and hull begins to set further aft . Please feel free to educate me on settings - props - heights . Your input is appreciated . I hads lots of opportunity earlier in the spring to get some nice props like - pro Ets and pro max but wasnt sure what pitch and by the time i got closer to knowing - i believe Joe P had bought them and others of course that are far more knowledgable but possibly Joe is single handedly creating a shortage of good used props maybe working with manufactures creating this shortage - collusion ! Maybe. And pics sideways - sorry but havnt figured that out yet .
    Last edited by kellytheaker; 08-03-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Additional

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast