Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FLIR thermals

Hey all you hunters that are interested and have had issues tracking wounded game , I hunt with an outfitter in Oklahoma, couple of years ago my son in law shot a BIG Oklahoma buck around dusk , called for a pick up from the stand the outfitter came back to lodge and we all ate supper ?? I asked why we weren’t heading out to look for the down deer, he simply said no problem we will head out in a few , he brought along a high end Flir thermal ($4,000) long story short went to where deer jumped fence in total darkness pointed Flir in that direction and with in 30 seconds of panning said he’s over there at 70 yards and wala there he was ...

I made up my mind I had to have one shopped and found entry level Flir @ $600 , normally when I shoot a hog they drop , lunged one a while back after dark pulled the Flir and 70 yards from where the blood stopped he was laying at base of two pine trees, this things is amazing at 175 yards at night I can see deer and their horn configuration ...

Jay

Jay @ JSRE

2. Likes CDave, AZMIDLYF, thurl howard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing a lot of boats being outfitted with FLIR and not just big boats.... tenders 30' and up......
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those used to see potential objects at night , I know the Flir I bought is Marine grade and water proof Incase it took a swim in the woods or stream while I’m looking for what ever’s down at night !

They are high end hunting equipment for sure , ranging from $600 to $8000 , ouch ! They were just offered to military until they became available to the public !

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never even thought about it for that. I have used it before and it is amazing what you see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
    Are those used to see potential objects at night , I know the Flir I bought is Marine grade and water proof Incase it took a swim in the woods or stream while I’m looking for what ever’s down at night !

They are high end hunting equipment for sure , ranging from $600 to $8000 , ouch ! They were just offered to military until they became available to the public !

Jay
    Yes, they are used for night time running.... they are wired into the GPS/electronics display.....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

7. Likes Jay Smith liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use thermal monocular for hunting ...day or night ..blood trails look fluorescent...buddy has a FLIR 240...I have a pulsar xd19...I like the pulsar a bit better overall , but they both work fine...