Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retrofitting Evinrude Factory Trim Questions

Hey guys, been a while since I posted. I am still running my 1975 70hp on a 6" CMC Jack plate with manual trim. I have finally located a working factory TnT unit. The guy pulled it off of a 78 70hp, and ran it on his 74. He does not have the wiring.

First Question- I have read a bunch of conflicting information about the swap. I have seen guys say it is as simple as pull the motor, swap brackets and reinstall, and others say I have to pull power head and mid, swap pieces, build spacers, etc. Has anybody done this on this motor and can tell me exactly the process? Or does anybody have pics of installing?

Second Question- The wiring. I know OMC uses resistors and a solenoid? Do I need to go this route? Or would a heavy duty momentary on/off/on switch get it done?

If not can anybody help with a range of years or part numbers that would be plug and play? I am just going to install a switch for tilt trim on the dash.

Attached pictures to show what I am working with. Hope some of you guys can help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180506_185219_755.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	401.5 KB 
ID:	429138
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_524954881331916.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	429139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1121786901317291.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	429140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_2733432196882670.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	429141

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done a 70 but I did do the same thing your wanting to do on a 1975 135 Johnson and it wasn't as much work as I believe yours will be. At minimum you need to swap out the swivel bracket and both clamp brackets because the trim and tilt you have is an internally mounted unit and the old parts don't have the provisions to just bolt it in. One problem is the shift rod runs inside the swivel tube and I think it sticks down too far to just pull the bottom of the swivel tube away from the exhaust housing. I believe you'll need to reuse the bottom mount bracket and mounts because the two years appear to be different. Also if you do eventually need to pull the upper mount bolts out you will need to remove the powerhead because it is a bolt and nut system...my 135 had just a bolt threading into the upper mount which made my life a lot easier. You wont know if you will need to make any spacers/bushings until you get it apart and do some measuring...I did have to make new ones for my motor. If you go to my thread on doing my T&T you'll see a little of what I ended up having to do. Hopefully someone that has actually done a 70 will chime in.
    Hustler 15' Wildcat / Merc 80
    Hustler 13' Wildcat / Merc 80
    Hustler 13' Picklefork (Experimental) / Merc 80
    Hustler 16' Victor / Evinrude 85
    Hustler 15' Tunnel / Evinrude X115
    Hustler 17' Lark / Suzuki 140
    Ranger 17' Aztec / Merc 115
    Hustler 16' Victor
    Hustler 16' Victor / JohnRude 135 (current and restored)
    Hustler 15' Family Tunnel / Johnson GT115 (current project)
    Hustler 16' Victor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I could not find definitive info. So decided to scrap that idea. Just did not want to risk having my boat not up and running for an extended period.

I am now going to find a CMC PT 130 Unit.

I already have an existing CMC Jack plate, I don't want to lose the functionality. Is it possible to just put the CMC trim onto the jack plate? Anybody ever ran 12" of setback? I think I may need to beef up the transom a bit. The main use of the boat is shallow water running.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some more checking and the 1975 70 used the external mounted trim system just like my 135 did...that's the reason I retrofitted a newer under the clamp bracket style to my motor...it is indeed more work for your 70 than it was on mine. Do you change the jack plate height often? If not find a CMC PT 130 unit and replace the jack plate with it at the same height as you now have the jack plate. 12" is a little much for your boat I think. Relooking at your pics you may have to bolt a 1/2" or so aluminum plate to the trim unit to get your height back...the trim unit pivots at the top so I don't see how you could make the jack plate work with the trim unit guts.
    Hustler 16' Victor
    Hustler 16' Victor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a down time down in Texas? That would be a good time to retrofit the system. To be honest retrofitting mine was the best thing I did...T&T works great and looks good. Well worth the time it took. Just a thought.
    Hustler 16' Victor
    Hustler 16' Victor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanUmbarger View Post
    Do you have a down time down in Texas? That would be a good time to retrofit the system. To be honest retrofitting mine was the best thing I did...T&T works great and looks good. Well worth the time it took. Just a thought.
    I really don't. I am a teacher and live a few blocks from the boat ramp, Usually on the water at least once a week during winter, 4-5 days a week in summer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanUmbarger View Post
    I did some more checking and the 1975 70 used the external mounted trim system just like my 135 did...that's the reason I retrofitted a newer under the clamp bracket style to my motor...it is indeed more work for your 70 than it was on mine. Do you change the jack plate height often? If not find a CMC PT 130 unit and replace the jack plate with it at the same height as you now have the jack plate. 12" is a little much for your boat I think. Relooking at your pics you may have to bolt a 1/2" or so aluminum plate to the trim unit to get your height back...the trim unit pivots at the top so I don't see how you could make the jack plate work with the trim unit guts.
    I don't adjust it a ton, but I tend to tweak with it from time to time still have not quite gotten the prop tuned perfect. Going to be installing trim tabs in the next week or so, will probably be tweaking with jack plate again once installed. Right now I have it set as a compromise, if i raise it any more or trim the motor up one notch I porpoise horribly. Hoping the Tabs will cure that and I can get some more out of it.

I just don't see much about set back, other than ability to raise motor and get more clean water. But I know 10 and 12" setback plates exist, just don't know what they go on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said the guy took the trim assy. from a 1978 70 and put it on a 1974 70...have you talked to the guy about how he did it? Seems the 74&75 should be close to the same...If he was able to do it without pulling the swivel tube off and if the bushings were the same...piece of cake!
    Hustler 16' Victor
    Hustler 16' Victor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can take the two nuts off the top mount with out the bolts spinning, than the bolt up will be a breeze.
    Chances are that they're probably seize in there, which is a good thing. Try to take the two nuts off first and if you are successful, it shouldn't take you more than 1 hour to replace the swivel bracket with out taking the powerhead off. Don't forget to drop the gearcase. Good luck.
    Last edited by sharpeye Mike; 01-26-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    If you can take the two nuts off the top mount with out the bolts spinning, than the bolt up will be a breeze.
    Chances are that they're probably seize in there, which is a good thing. Try to take the two nuts off first and if you are successful, it shouldn't take you more than 1 hour to replace the swivel bracket with out taking the powerhead off. Don't forget to drop the gearcase. Good luck.
    I ended up just passing on picking up that unit. I think my life will be easier in the long run with a CMC tilt/trim.

I was eyeing a Panther PT 55 but after emailing them they told me it would not work with a Jack Plate.

So i am hoping to find a deal on a CMCPT135.