Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 3 Ram Tilt / Trim Leaking Down

Hello,

I've got a 1986 Mercury (Mariner) 115 6-cyl outboard that, up until a few days ago, the tilt / trim was working fine on. Here's what happened:

Last Wednesday, I took my Dad out to do some catfishing. I pulled the transom saver off the motor and trimmed the outboard up to full tilt before backing down the ramp (Same procedure I always do)

The motor held its full tilt position without any difficulty.

Fast forward a few hours when it's time to get off the lake. I pull the boat onto the trailer, but when I trim the outboard to the full tilt position it quickly drops back down. I end up having to get creative and get my transom saver installed while hanging off the rear of the boat so as not to drag my lower unit up the ramp.

Yesterday was the first chance I'd had to mess with it since then, so I opened the reservoir to check. It appeared to be a little low, and the fluid inside of it looked about like strawberry milk. I ran the outboard up and down a few times while refilling and bleeding the system.

When I was finished, the motor still does not hold itself in full tilt, but it stays up slightly longer than it was before.

I have been unable to find any external leaks.

I spent most of the evening reading here on the forums and it seems like there are a multitude of problems this could be. Before I start throwing money at the problem, I was wondering if someone could help me with my first steps.

I'm thinking the logical first step should be to inspect the manual release valve, but I'm open to any suggestions.

(For what it's worth, the motor on this system is a 2-wire motor. I was told by the previous owner that the trim motor had recently been replaced)

Any response is greatly appreciated. Really wanting to get this back up and running quickly..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Question:

While reading last night it appeared that some people recommend changing to a single ram system instead of the 3-ram system. Would this be the single ram with external (in the boat) trim pump like I have on my 1984 Mercury 200HP Black Max that's on my bass boat? If so, would anyone happen to have the part number for that ram?

Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The single ram won't fit yor motor bracket.... The swivel pin is diff sizesape....Pink says airorwater.....Likely the O ring where new motor is put on is the problem.....Just fix... don't change...

4. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Likes nitro_rat, wcsd106 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    The single ram won't fit yor motor bracket.... The swivel pin is diff sizesape....Pink says airorwater.....Likely the O ring where new motor is put on is the problem.....Just fix... don't change...

Dave is spot on. Just fix what you have.

Your 115 should be an inline. The trim options for that motor are the early 2 ram or the 3 ram you have now. Your current setup is the "preferred" system for the inline. The entire clamp assembly must be swapped to go from one style to another.

Your 200 is a V6. A V6 can have 1, 2, or 3 rams but again, the whole clamp has to change and none of the V6 systems interchange with any of the inline systems.
    Josh Peterson

6. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Likes wcsd106, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thank you both! I was overwhelmed with the amount of information I was reading last night and, since most of it was read between 2am and 5am, I probably wasn't as alert as I should have been. I had been under the impression that the single ram from a V6 could fit that one, but I admit I hadn't ventured out in the rain this morning to measure. I knew the twin cylinder would require changing the swivel bracket. I actually have a couple of those systems sitting around from parts motors.

Should I take the port trim cylinder apart to inspect and clean that check valve, or should I go straight to motor removal and changing that O-Ring?

When I bought the boat the original 3-ram system was FUBAR... someone had broken off the manual release valve and then wrapped a hex bolt in teflon tape until it would plug the hole. (But that's a story for another time) Needless to say, I replaced that trim manifold with a spare and moved the good motor to the new manifold... I reused the O-Ring where the motor met the manifold. I guess getting 2 years out of a reused ring probably isn't a bad lifespan.

I bet you all are right about the place to start looking. I'll keep you posted. Gonna order that O-Ring today (Gonna need one regardless if I pull motor to inspect)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a good idea of what you have... First ck the manual valve.... the small tip can break off... then the port ck valve.....Trim.... love when it works.... when it don't........

9. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Likes wcsd106 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to stay on top of my equipment and keep it running good.

I'm trying to find the P/N for that O-Ring. If you happen to know it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcsd106 View Post
    I try to stay on top of my equipment and keep it running good.

I'm trying to find the P/N for that O-Ring. If you happen to know it, it would be appreciated.
    I like to use boats.net to look up part numbers. If you have your s/n or year/hp you can pull up the exploded view with a parts list.
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All. Been a bit since I last posted in this thread, but work and weather has kept me from being able to mess with the power trim system. A break in the weather, Wednesday, gave me a chance to get the power trim unit removed from the boat so that I could put it on the bench for inspection and repair.

I think you all are right in that the leak (likely air) is occurring where the trim motor and pump mount into the housing. When I pulled the trim motor off of the pump and started inspecting o-rings, this is what I found:

Both faces have what I would consider severe pitting of the metal. I suppose I could probably work those out with some emery cloth, but would I possibly be better off purchasing a replacement motor/pump unit? The one currently on the trim manifold is an aftermarket unit, at least that's what I was told by the guy I purchased the boat from. Is it really worth putting any effort into an aftermarket pump/motor assembly?

Also, while I have the power trim assembly removed, would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the o-rings in the rams, or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd buy a reman unit and be done with it. Those are tuff to repair and stop leaks . hf...

14. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and find someone local. I know there getting old and most shops don't care/ want to help. If you need I have lots of parts/ stuff.

16. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by half fast View Post
    I'd buy a reman unit and be done with it. Those are tuff to repair and stop leaks . hf...
    So that I'm on the same page, are you suggesting finding a reman power trim assembly or just replacing the motor/pump?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obr in semmes Alabama has reman complete units . I would also seek out a used complete unit that has no issues . Hf...

19. Thanks wcsd106 thanked for this post