Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm missing something...

So obviously I'm new to this site and trying to comprehend the love of outboards, especially on bigger boats. I'm reading the thread on the Doug Wright 44 and people talking about the 7 Marines and I can't for the life of me figure how that could be better than some blown 502 I/Os with surface drives. I mean that seems to have been the go-to for years and now everybody wants outboards? How can they possibly be better? Seriously, I want to learn. I just bought my first stern drive and I can get a reman 260hp V-8 long block for it for the same price my local dealer wants for a 9.8hp Tohatsu outboard. (just under 2k)
    1994 Seaswirl Spyder 188 5.0 Cobra EFI

2. Likes loop liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The love for outboards is the ease of maintenance and not having to worry about boots leaking, gimbal bearings, and tons of weight etc etc...just to name a few. Now as for your case for the ol v8's , your 100% they are easy and cheap to work on and obtain. Now the seven marines you mentioned are one of those novelty things for rich ass yuppies with big wallets...horizontal engine mated to a weak at best mid section and terribly ugly too. I ve always been an outboard guy and will still be that way with my old 2 strokers chugging away even after they ban internal combustion and force feed electric crap down our throats.
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    blackburb, for one thing the love of outboards isn't a new thing. Their application on larger hulls has become popular over thhe last few years. I don't think that cost is a factor. I doubt rigging five of the big 425hp (or whatever they are) Yamahas is cheaper than a couple inboards. What you do get with outboards is significantly more room in the boat. This is especially important in commercial and fishing boats. As outboards become larger and heavier due to emissions regulations they also become better suited for large boats.

As far as performance goes, my money says any boat with a Mercruiser 260 mag looses to any boat with a Merc 260 outboard in just about any kind of race you can think of...

When you're playing the used field (where 260 mercruisers live) for the same money you can go FAST with an outboard. I pick up old junk bass boats for under $500 all the time and salvage Mercury V6 outboards. Hang one on a small light hull and you're doing 80 mph on the water for a couple grand, or the price of a new long block for your 260 mag...
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the Red short shaft motor with racing lower unit, I'd be Happy to have that on my 26 ft

The lower unit is strong as can be because of intelligent design and is a small as a 150/200 lower unit

https://youtu.be/Yun1kpHi-Qs

Truly SICK
    We have invented the world; WE see

6. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nitro bout said it all, except stock 260 OB sounds way better also , I've always thought workin on inboard was pina. More expensive also?

8. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Years ago I had a buddy with a jet boat with 455 and Berkley pump , decent boat , I had my little ole bass boat with 115 on it at time. He could not out run me nor could I out run him. Side by side , well it kinda ate him up a little. That's when I bought my 1st 150, he sold that boat after we met wit the 150. Lol. 60mph was all it had , but sounded like he was doin 100, we dnt have that many hot boats down here but what is here that I've met or seen. I've never been outrun by a inboard boat. I know there are sum very fast ones , I'm just sayin round my neck of the woods

10. Likes Will hedrick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To run 120 mph in a cat with I/O power will take about 600 hp per side. I have had I/O and outboards. First the I/O will get about 1-1.5 mpg while the 400R are getting around 2.5 mpg on cats. The cost of the I/O is about double and the weight is twice as much or more. More weight requires more gas and more power to go the same speed. To winterize an I/O is a big project. To winterize an O/B you simply put it on the trailer and let it drain. I know the two stroke lovers will not like this, but the new 4 stroke O/B's are light, have a ton of torque and are far more reliable. I have blown so many 2.5's I can not count. I have blown up more than my share of 1000-1300hp engines as well. Not fun having to wrench so much for boat rides. Right now I have my 300X powered cat and I love it. For a two stroke they are very reliable and get decent gas mileage. I do wish I could have 400Rs though. But three on my boat would be pricey.

12. Likes nitro_rat, davidmercury liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you're in the big boat game (let's say around 22' and larger) the 2.5's just aren't big enough. The "black max" 2.0, 2.4, 2.5 family engines really shine on the small boats that they were designed for!
    Josh Peterson

14. Likes W2F a V-King, NICE PAIR, LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm beginning to understand. I totally get the more space in the boat for commercial. I also get the small, really fast boat thing. Around where I live tho, it's almost impossible to find used OBs and the prices are thru the roof. So that's an aspect I have no experience with. I guess my question is more geared toward the poker run style boats (and that's what I assume the Doug Wright is built for) as that seems to have really boomed in recent years, and if I had the coin, that's the style of boating I'd want to be doing. I know someone about 300 miles from me who has a Formula 311 with twin NA 502s and they do poker runs all over. That looks like fun to me! And there are a couple much smaller poker runs near me that I plan to take my boat to next summer. And tho the I/O takes up space in the boat, it gives you the nice sundeck to lay on with a margarita and having had a sundeck on my pontoon, that was a priority for this boat. I would say about 95% of my "boating", will be at anchor with the tunes cranking and the drinks flowing and no-wake speed puttering around the shorelines (pontoon mentality)
    Last edited by blackburb; 12-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    1994 Seaswirl Spyder 188 5.0 Cobra EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have the right boat for what you're wanting to do with it. That's why there are so many different kinds of boats - everyone's needs and expectations are different!
    Josh Peterson

17. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro_rat View Post
    Sounds like you have the right boat for what you're wanting to do with it. That's why there are so many different kinds of boats - everyone's needs and expectations are different!
    Just dont expect to sip that margreta doin 80! haha.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    Just dont expect to sip that margreta doin 80! haha.
    You need a tunnel hull for that...
    Josh Peterson

20. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can bolt a powerhead on in an hr. by yourself with just hand tools. try that with an I/O.

22. Likes nitro_rat, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro_rat View Post
    You need a tunnel hull for that...
    even better just do a couple of shots, before u get on plane.

24. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed 20yrs of OB's and being able to stand up and work on them. Last year due to health issues switched to an I/O and for the most part will need to pay for someone to do some services. Besides that I can no longer fit in the engine area because my joints don't flex as well as in my younger years(L0l)
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

26. Likes NICE PAIR, Will hedrick liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast