Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are right, why worry about top speed.
    By the nature of Scream and Fly performance forums, and everybody talking big mph numbers, its easy to get caught up in. ...Top speeds.
    I suppose (in my feeble mind) I would like to cruise around 50-55 mph and have throttle left, vs running topped out at 40-45 mph.
    I don't want to run wide open all the time - I like to have throttle left. For my set up, its just requires more horsepower.
    So... I will be satisfied with the performance of this boat. And look good doing it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMike7 View Post
    Thanks to Ernie and all of you making this thread fun and informative to follow. So yes the test of the next gen Promise is a reality.

So far top speed is 45mph with a 23 pitch powertech style prop from Ron Hills back room Ha! RPM's are 5K.
    Engine height is a bit low for speed but good for handling. Have not tried chopper or srx type prop yet, but maybe
    in couple weeks when Ernie comes to pick the boat up. Obviously some less pitch smaller diameter props might help get RPM's up.

But here is the fun part; the boat and engine performed above and beyond what I was hoping for. It was windy and ruff conditions most of the time. Boat jumped on plane, turned, and blasted through two foot chop with ease. the 320 pound Etec did not hurt handling at all and gave me an amazing hole shot, plus would pin me to the back of the seat accelerating from 20mph to 45mph. Pulling a skier should be no problem! I'm sure the extended sponsons and front mount fuel tank helped also.

Most likely Ernie will post some videos in the next few days as I get them to him. All I ask is you give me some grace
    with them as I was driving the boat with one hand and holding the iPhone in the other! Not easy or smart to do!

The builder and myself are working through some build specs and pricing updates to make these boats available to a broad spectrum of folks. Including an all composite wood free option.

Thanks guys always open to input

Hmm - 45mph with a 60hp. And my little tunnel only goes 60 with a 115. Double the HP does not double the speed lol.
    No porpoise issues?

Interesting that 60hp is 320lbs. The merc 115 4s is only 40 lbs more. pretty similar.

Have you guys posted any videos yet?

I love how the final project came out! I too love the new fuel sipping motors - but I wonder what's better on fuel... a 60hp 2 stroke, or a 115hp 4 stroke. Hmm.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
    You guys are right, why worry about top speed.
    By the nature of Scream and Fly performance forums, and everybody talking big mph numbers, its easy to get caught up in. ...Top speeds.
    I suppose (in my feeble mind) I would like to cruise around 50-55 mph and have throttle left, vs running topped out at 40-45 mph.
    I don't want to run wide open all the time - I like to have throttle left. For my set up, its just requires more horsepower.
    So... I will be satisfied with the performance of this boat. And look good doing it.

#1 best perk of a small boat being a tunnel... you can go in much bigger chop than anyone else would DARE in a 13' boat !
    I just haven't quite figured out how to navigate over the 6' rollers left by the turd surfers. Seems at ANY speed, I get swamped. Straight on, parallel, at an angle... seems I only stay dry for those waves when I come off plane haha.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The penalty for this added displacement is, or course, weight – H.O. might as well stand for “heavy outboard.” At 320 pounds (20-inch length) the E-TEC 60 H.O. weighs 80 pounds more than the 240-pound E-TEC 60"

Boat would rip with a 330lb F5
    Last edited by FMP; 05-03-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I have to beg to differ, it all depends on the boat! yes most 13' boats are mediocre in rough water, the 13' bullet 130 is defiantly and exception. Theres not many videos of them running but its one of the deepest vee mini boats made and will give bigger boats a run for their money in rough water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brfv73tZnas&t=55s

Biels are great boats they have shown to be so, i hope to get my hands on one in the future but the cost of a new bare hull is more than i want to spend and they cant just sell you a plug, it has to have alot in it to be USCG approved.
    Last edited by TwzteD; 05-04-2019 at 05:56 AM.

6. Likes FMP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay attention and read through hmt. Watch the videos.
    Yes the Biel boat is following USCG regulations. I do not understand fully how some of these larger tunnels are hanging the biggest heaviest HP motor, even two motors on them. Are they following USCG rules, or does it not matter.
    Are USCG regulations even followed?

To me, the air entrapment hull that the Biel boat is, gives it less resistance in the water, potentially allowing more speed with a smaller motor.
    Of course hp is probably the biggest factor...

I suggest to any one here, bite the bullet and take the plunge. Buy a Bile Promise. Its there to buy. You know what it can do.
    Its surprising that with all the ridiculous money flowing on this site, a little fast Biel boat can't be built in numbers. It would be like buying a Hyundai .
    Last edited by Maxacceleration; 05-04-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a newcomer I have a lot of surfing and learning to do on this site. Here is a quote (shortened) I ran into from a forum long timer, Fish. From a few years back...
    A good applicable quote for me regarding my small boat. Set it up, learn it, add power...
    In time!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    ...most of the guys (including me) will tell you that before throwing more power at something, make sure setup is correct to get everything out of what you have and your boat is as efficient as it can be, then add power to go fast.

clear as mud? ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clear as mud is right! Once you ad more power everything will change, weight of new motor, lower unit, prop size and pitch , rpm, seems to me that you will have to start all over with so called setup.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's the fun part of the whole project. The fine tuning and trying different ideas....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    90 etec is the same motor

12. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes as the Captain says, ugrading the etec 60 HO is as simple as (money aside) going to the 75 hp or 90 hp motor. All the same 1.3L inline 3 cylinder motor.
    Maybe next summer or the year after for me.

14. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you can reflash the ECU and take the 60 to a 75 or 90, that's what the bigger Mercs seem to do, just askin???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    90 etec is the same motor
    Mechanically, yes. Tuning is different, and limits it down to the 60. It's got the low end torque of the 90 for holeshot and such, but top end power is reduced to similar as the 60.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1954bmw View Post
    Any chance you can reflash the ECU and take the 60 to a 75 or 90, that's what the bigger Mercs seem to do, just askin???
    I can hope! I have looked into it with no signs of anybody doing it nationwide. It appears the ecu's for the 60/75/90 are proprietary.
    I would be the first to do it!

Regarding weight of this boat, in its most basic state they are saying 350 pounds. No floors. FYI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast