User Tag List

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom of that looks good compared to what the bottom of my Vulture looked like. I still refuse to show before pictures of it. LoL
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

2. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one that has never ridden or even touched a Hydrostream, so I am not familiar with their build. What caused the holes in the bottom? Are they worn through by the trailer bunks or are these caused from impact after the core started failing? I have never seen skin on a production boat thin enough to break through like that. I have seen wear/rub areas caused by poor mating of the keel rollers, but not like these up on the deadrise areas. I'm asking because I want to do one of these for myself. Gordon

4. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The hull is a cored construction. A layer of 3/8” end grain balsa core sandwiched between two thin skins of glass. When the balsa rots out, the structure is compromised and the outer skin is usually the first place to go!
    Josh Peterson

6. Likes NICE PAIR, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not realize the skin was that thin. If new, what would happen to the outer skin if a floating glass bottle or floating log was hit at speed? I've run over submerged logs, floating trash, and other debris at speed when fishing after heavy rains and flooding on southern lakes/rivers. None of the many fiberglass boats I've owned have suffered that type of damage. Does water intrusion and freezing between the fiberglass and gelcoat layers have anything to do with this?

8. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never worked on one of these so I really don't know what I'm looking at.
    I blew a couple of the pics up a little to see.

Are these chopper gun boats ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5204.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	424178
    looks like chisel hole

Name:	IMG_5202.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	424179

Name:	IMG_5223.jpg 
Views:	779 
Size:	395.3 KB 
ID:	424180

Is this a void between the gel and ??
    Wriggleys gum makes me think of boating, "Double your engines, Double your fun"

10. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering the same thing Nice Pair....some look like actual holes in the glass and some look like air pockets between the gel and glass skin. We used to build boats many years ago and that was a big deal...trying to roll out all the air bubbles otherwise you would get the air pockets and eventually the gelcoat would break away and leave those unsightly surfaces.
    Hustler 15' Wildcat / Merc 80
    Hustler 13' Wildcat / Merc 80
    Hustler 13' Picklefork (Experimental) / Merc 80
    Hustler 16' Victor / Evinrude 85
    Hustler 15' Tunnel / Evinrude X115
    Hustler 17' Lark / Suzuki 140
    Ranger 17' Aztec / Merc 115
    Hustler 16' Victor
    Hustler 16' Victor / JohnRude 135 (current and restored)
    Hustler 15' Family Tunnel / Johnson GT115 (current project)
    Hustler 16' Victor

12. Likes tnelsmn, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The ones that have glass behind them are air pockets. Shame on Hydrostream leaving them....The others are prob trailer damage or impacts of some sort.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

14. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that looks like an air bubble between the gel-coat and the hull build up layers. I think some streams got a thicker hull build than others. It must have not been properly rolled after layup?? Looks like several spots with similar issues. No worries, it can all be ground out and repaired properly.

I have a Vector project boat (that I am looking for a new home for it if anyone is interested pm me) that I can see has a thinner lay up than the V-King I am restoring now.

My V-King had a 1/2" balsa core set on mat over the hull build layers of what looked like heavy roving cloth, maybe 3 layers. The Running pad area out to the hard chines were about 3/8" thick. The area where the core was bed on was only 42" wide IIRC. Core did not run all the way to the hard chine, but did run almost up to the bow eye, tapering up to the front.

My Vector had the core replaced (not by me, but previous owner)out to the hard chine, but the hull seems thinner. I did not measure the hull thickness on the Vector, but the V-King I did drill several 1/8" holes to gauge hull thickness, and this was done post grinding all the existing core and bedding material away.

My hunch is from reading the many Stream restore threads is there was no set in stone way these boats were built. As said many times here, these were a really well designed hull, but were mass produced and some build quality suffered.

There is no argument that balsa core has a bit stronger impact density, and is the cheapest option for a restore. And maybe if sealed in glass properly it will last forever...don't know.... I do know if balsa is used it must be kept dry, as in humidity dry before embedding with glass.

In my limited opinion and in the several old boat restores I have done. I have removed way more rotted wood than rotted composites, in fact I've seen no rotted composite, BUT I am not a professional, just a hobbyist who likes rebuilding stuff. I have also removed as much wet foam as Dry....Guess anything that is installed improperly can and will fail. More so when built in a hurry for mass production and keeping cost down.

I used Composite core, but instead of bedding and covering it with mat ( Like Hydrostream did their balsa ) I used a layer of 1708 under and over the 1/2" Divinycell H-80. Then laid my stringers on top of that and covered them with another layer of 1708. Stringers are 1/2" Corelite Board.

This Viking thread will be fun to follow, he imo has come to the right place to get his information as there Are Professional men here who are gracious to share their knowlege with him.... AND he is not camera shy with pictures...we ALL Love pictures
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

16. Likes NICE PAIR, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try and clear up some of what I know.

There are some holes that were caused by an air chisel years ago when my brother began the initial disassembly. These seem to have very clean edges, are pretty round, and are through holes with no glass behind them.

The last one blown up (with glass behind it) I believe it was initially a crack in the hull due to the soft core. It was repaired 12 years ago when this project started. Thats why there's glass behind it. You can barely see some new glass laid in towards the front of where the floor ended, remember these repairs are old and have been in the weather for a decade, so they blend right into the existing hull. There's two like this on the hull that I can find.
    There's also a factory repair I was unaware of until my dad pointed it out once we had it flipped. That is right along a strake and you can see the poorly matched flake. Flipping it was surprisingly easy with four helpers! Also crazy how small it feels sitting on the floor.

Looking at the bottom I'm seeing that the strakes are not parallel to the pad (bow to stern). They seem a little uneven. Should they be straight? I'll post a picture with a straight edge tomorrow. I plan to support the hull with a cradle like one I saw Prop Rider use years ago on a Viper rebuild.

I think I found the right place to document my build, lots of knowledgeable people here who are nice enough to share their expertise! I've been "lurking" around here for many years and happy to finally share my own build, and pictures, they speak a thousand words.
    Last edited by tnelsmn; 11-26-2018 at 05:06 PM.

18. Likes NICE PAIR, Laseraddict liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just seen you are from Coon Rapids MN. Where abouts? Im just up in Nowthen (Just north of Anoka. 12 miles from downtown anoka). Also, RJ (has a sweet viper and a pretty sweet vking. He is here on S&F and sure he will pop in at some point) is in your area too, or around there.
    -Kevin
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippie459MN View Post
    I just seen you are from Coon Rapids MN. Where abouts? Im just up in Nowthen (Just north of Anoka. 12 miles from downtown anoka). Also, RJ (has a sweet viper and a pretty sweet vking. He is here on S&F and sure he will pop in at some point) is in your area too, or around there.
    I'm near Sand Creek Park if you're familiar, or ShortStop bar. I work part time welding/fabricating for a friend in Nowthen off 47 and Cleary road.

21. Thanks DLouth thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know where that is. I am right off Cleary just north of Viking (22). Im trying to think where a welding place would be on 47 and 66. I know Merls Auto Body is there but that is the only business I know of that would do anything like that. There was the race car guy behind Merls but not sure if he is even there anymore. Anyways, nice to see another local Hydrostream guy!
    -Kevin
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update since I'm bored at work Have most of the cradle finished up. Need to add some 2x6's on edge along the strakes to better support them, also still need to track down some material to hold the pad flat. Then I'll tie the plywood together better and have the cradle finished. I know this seems really over kill, but I don't have any way to hold it. And it seems so flimsy, I can deflect the outer shell a good 1/8" or so in some spots just pushing on it. As always, here's more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5233.jpg   IMG_5234.jpg   IMG_5235.jpg   IMG_5236.jpg   IMG_5239.jpg  

IMG_5240.jpg  

24. Likes NICE PAIR, Hippie459MN, Laseraddict liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work on the cradle and not over kill. It will likely save you from some corrective work later on.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

26. Likes NICE PAIR, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!!! That is a cradle you can sell to someone once you finish the rebuild. Get that pad nice and flat like your thinking and save yourself the work of doing it later once the core is in. I put my Vking on the floor and built supports on the the strakes and supported the bow from the ceiling as the hull would really deflect from the cap and windshield weight. Anyway, looks great!
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

28. Likes NICE PAIR, tnelsmn liked this post
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast