Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Anyone do auto/boat upholstery work? Need help picking a sewing machine.

I’ve decided to start a new project…….re-upholstering a few seats out of my boat. I’m always up for learning a new skill.
    So, that being said…..I need to pick up a sewing machine that will work for this project. If this goes well, I might try to redo some seats in my car one of these days. But at this point, I just need a good reliable “hobby” type machine, I’m not going into business.

I’ve done a bunch of research on machines, and it sounds like I at least need something with reverse, something I can run very slow if needed, and it needs a true walking foot for doing multiple layers of marine vinyl fabric and/or leather.

So here are some machines I’ve been looking at…..just wondering if any of you guys have done upholstery work like this, and have had some kind of experience with these lower end walking foot machines.

Rex 607, about $269 online

Consew CP206RL, about $400 inline.

Sailrite LS-1, about $700 online.

To me, they all look like pretty much the same machine….just different colors, and different brand.
    I don’t mind looking for a used machine, but there are so many out there, unless I have a specific brand/model that I know work for me, it’s kind of overwhelming if you don’t know what you are looking at……so if there any older ones out there that I should be looking for, please let me know!

Any other info would be great! Thanks
    Ian

...boatless for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - I'd like to know also!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most important thig with an older machine is that whoever you buy it from needs to demonstrate that it works. Sucks to get a long ways through a seam and have it skip a stitch or something. Your best bet is probably a used commercial machine. You need the machine, the table, and the motor and pedal. Sometimes the machines pop up on ebay but without the motor, pedal, and table they’re useless. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find a machine for a sketchy guy that’s great at upholstery. Decent machines will start around $450-500 and go up to about twice that depending on age, condition, and model. Some of the old ww2 vintage surplus singers are still good machines but they don’t have reverse. That’s about all I know...
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need a real commercial machine for sewing through several layers of vinyl, those sub$1k chinese machine won’t work for long if they work at all
    Josh Peterson

5. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used a sail rite LS 1 for my interior project last year in feb ,bought it brand new finished my project and sold it week later for 100 less than i paid so its like i rented it ,machine worked flawless , i practiced on some other material for a week before i did the real one, material was pvc with 1/4 inch foam attached being white gets dirty mineral spirits cleans it tho .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5307.jpg   DSCN5302.jpg   DSCN5297.jpg  
    Last edited by eli; 11-21-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a nice used Singer 281-3 with an AC servo motor on it for around $300, and also a Singer (looks like a 111W155 but it's hard to tell) that looks to be in good shape for around the same price. Both have tables with them.

Would either of those machines work for me? And is that a good price?
    Ian

...boatless for now.