Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    The ecoboost is great, for 80-100K miles then... head gasket issues begin. If its a short term deal they are worth considering, but boosted gas for towing? Ticking time bomb imo
    I haven't put more than 40,000 miles on any one vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years so it's a non issue for me. I'd also do a lot more research because just like there are reports of head gaskets on boosted motors there are similar reports on Direct Injected motors like the GM LT motors with valve and head issues long before 100K.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have close connects with dealers who warranty. The eco boost is fine, and a very stout performer for what most people use it for; commuting. But those who work em hard or tow a lot head gasket issues are common. Its just way too easy to go into knock with boosted gasoline engines, this is nothing new and not Ford specific. There has not been head gasket issues with the GM V8's since they switched to MLS type in 04, none to speak of. The issue with early genV 6.2's was related to heat soaking the injectors and causing the computer to pull timing which made them very doggy. This happened accross the board from Vettes on down. To the best of my knowledge this has been dealt with and is no longer an issue.

I like the 5.0L Ford motor, its great. I just like the 6.2 better. The Raptor 6.2 is a beast but thats a different animal altogether than what most of us boat tow guys want. The Hemi is also plenty powerful and lets not forget the Tundra which is also mighty. I dont buy Jap cars is all, I dont judge those who do I just dont so the Toy is out for me. The friends I have with the Didges have had three fairly common problems; trans, diffs, and lifter failures. GM also had a lifter problem but only the genIV engines with AFM were problematic and not all were. Kinda hit and miss. The genV seems to be doing well aside from that early heat soak issue and I do hear gripes from all camps about excessive shifting and trans tuning nuisances related to driving style.

I also have an older GMT800 SLT 5.3 that I love. I really like those trucks in 4x4 and I like the 07+ 2wd big power models. Very sporty and funn to drive with the coils vs the torsion bars and imo 2wd is way nicer for towing if you dont absolutely need 4x4.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    The ecoboost is great, for 80-100K miles then... head gasket issues begin. If its a short term deal they are worth considering, but boosted gas for towing? Ticking time bomb imo
    Head gasket issues?? Must be the part of the world you're in.... Been a tech with Ford longer than the ecoboost has been around, and I haven't seen one head gasket done by any tech in 2 different shops since they were introduced. Plenty of other issues, but they're better now than ever. I have also driven F-150s towing 7500lbs plus with all 3 engines (2.7 eco, 3.5 eco, 5.0l) and the 3.5 certainly outshines the 5.0 in the way it delivers power, torque specifically.

4. Likes FORBESAUTO liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Diesel, and 3/4 ton size, or don't even get a pickup. The new trucks are not good h-d towing vehicles in the 1/2 ton size range. Something sub 5000 lbs sure. But you get a 8000 lb camper or boat behind one and look out. Diesels get tremendous mileage and the 3/4 ton frames are real truck frames. Bigger running gear, brakes etc. Not to mention a stout trans, and that is real important.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Diesel, and 3/4 ton size, or don't even get a pickup. The new trucks are not good h-d towing vehicles in the 1/2 ton size range. Something sub 5000 lbs sure. But you get a 8000 lb camper or boat behind one and look out. Diesels get tremendous mileage and the 3/4 ton frames are real truck frames. Bigger running gear, brakes etc. Not to mention a stout trans, and that is real important.
    This is why you can buy so many different configurations. Daily driving a diesel doesn't make sense for an average person IMO. Cost of maintenance is much higher, and if you are not working them the emission controls don't function efficiently which leads to extremely expensive repairs. Then there's the unloaded ride quality of the super duty.... Most people will like a 150 better, depending on the package some share trans options, and even engines. For more than average towing a 6.2 gas Super Duty would address any concerns someone would have with the F-150, and for someone towing heavy all day every day the diesel is certainly the better option. Again, just my professional yet humble opinion...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a F-150 4x4 with the 5.0. Also have a lifted F-250 4x4 with a big gas motor. Nephew has a F250 4x4 diesel that I drive a lot. The F-150 is what I jokingly call a Mustang GT with a pickup bed.......Wife's truck. Both the others are real trucks. But, if you will be doing mainly light duty service, A 150 with a 5.0 will do it. Still rides like a truck. Not much ride quality difference than the F-250's.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model years xtreme? I drive 30 or more trucks a week. The super duty's with solid front axles, heavier suspensions, 80 psi in the tires, aluminum cabs definitely are a rougher ride than the 150s until you load them up. Even then the solid front axle drives differently than the 150.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First few years the EcoBoooost would burn holes in the pistons towing heavier stuff. Most were results of dummies using 87 , what the salesman told them.
    No offense to you guys south but a truck without 4wd is just stupid useless up here. Shouldn't even be allowed.
    Pull them with their trailer and boat out of the lake every year at least once with my K20 Sub. Just put it in neutral and steer I tell them. A F150 this year, new , wouldn't go in 4. Just click and clicks.
    Last edited by FMP; 11-13-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the GM4500 and 5500!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvette View Post
    What model years xtreme? I drive 30 or more trucks a week. The super duty's with solid front axles, heavier suspensions, 80 psi in the tires, aluminum cabs definitely are a rougher ride than the 150s until you load them up. Even then the solid front axle drives differently than the 150.
    Sure they are different...One is a light duty, one is a heavy duty. Different animals.
    F150 is a 13, FX-4 Good 5.0 motor. Changed to 275-60-20 michelin defenders. Rides better now. Have had some trans and other issues. (sigh) F250 is a 90 with a 460 EFI straight axle conversion, riding on 39's with 6'' lift. Rides better now than the stock IFS ever did. Never been back to dealer...Perfect truck. Diesel super duty 250 is a 16, never been back to dealer. Perfect truck. And when unloaded you don't have to ride with 80psi in the tires. Makes a big difference. 60psi is plenty for normal un-loaded use. It might be the best riding one of the bunch.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those efi 460 fords were one of the best most reliable and maintenance free engines ever made. Too bad ford saddled the 250’s with the dumb @$$ ttb leaf spring suspension. You’re right Xtream, throw a dana 60 under there and - perfect truck!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love my ferds. Got a 2001 4x4 expedition that has also been perfect. And a 09 Mustang GT also perfect record. New stuff has gotten so complicated it is hard to keep functioning correctly. Wife's wanting a new unit and son wants a LD 4x4 truck (wifes 13) so prob be getting a new 19 F-150-mustang for her. Even more giddyup than the 13 has...

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expos are great, saw a FL plated one here this summer, couldn't be you?
    Tundra 5.0 diesel Cummins 4x4 , I've heard good things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I road tested the 3.5L ecoboost and it's impressive. More pull than the 5.0L in same truck!
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to step up to 4 full size doors and steps to keep the wife happy. Usually don't hull much so has the 5.5 bed on short WB 145 inch. Should tow much better than out TBSS since Checkmate is about 6500. I presume the spray in bed liner is best... has anyone use a DIY kit and if so which one. Will get bed cover first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2411.jpg  
    Checkmate 2002 Convincor 270 496 MAG-HO

2003 Cougar 22MTR w/300xs SOLD
    90 21Skater w/300xs - sold
    98 STV Euroski w/280 - sold

2006 Trailblazer SS 6.0l 395hp

17. Likes idvette, FORBESAUTO liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast