Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You dont need a big check book to race class 7 in OPA but if you drive by yourself and use a foot throttle you will be eliminated first bump you hit, stab the throttle and break out

Its much harder than you are imagining. JMO

2. Likes powerabout, mjw930 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean both guys are using all of their senses 100% while running all out! some water conditions may allow a slightly less tense period. smaller courses don't make it easier,running close to shore makes for uneven wave patterns and more boats close together! until you try it you just won't understand! and mostly who would you look over at and say we survived that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    Not trying to ruffle feathers. Was looking for a definitive objective reason. The consensus seems to be that it can't be done by just one person. This answer doesn't sit well with me as it basically criticizes and negates the ability of the human brain. I've watched the in cabin videos and don't see anything spectacular being done with the throttle man's hand that a different cockpit layout and seating style wouldn't be done faster and more accurately by the drivers foot. If say they separated the port and starboard engines to the throttle man's corresponding hands, allowing independent engine speed controls thru turns I might reconsider but there simply in and out of both throttles together.

Do the rules state that there needs to be both driver and throttle man? Unlimited hydroplane have far more going on in the cockpit? with forward wing flaps only one driver. I'll give that the water is usually smoother, but so is the water in the close to shore small course races that offshore now runs.
    Last edited by donmac; 11-14-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even with 2 sets of eyes and two brains processing information, collisions still occur in offshore....Drop that to half of that visual and mental input and it becomes even more over whelming. I would say safety is the main reason most boats run a pilot and co-pilot.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think.... Whaaat and Me could out talk raceman on the power TUNNAs make..... just saying.....HeeHee.....If ya want to be a miilyare... in boat racin..... Start with a Billion....Dave S. out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started racing in 1999 it was in a 140 mph Skater. I set the boat up with a foot throttle so I could do both the driving and throttling and just had a friend ride along for the ride. Things went well in the first 2 races , won one and placed second in the other. Then encountered 3 to 4 footers in the third race we entered and the foot throttle sucked. Needless to say that was the last race I tried to do it all myself. A driver and throttle man work as a one and the longer they are together the better they mesh and the faster the boat will go.

7. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes bill3077 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vnemous View Post
    You dont need a big check book to race class 7 in OPA but if you drive by yourself and use a foot throttle you will be eliminated first bump you hit, stab the throttle and break out

Its much harder than you are imagining. JMO
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I have never raced offshore but run plenty of fast boats in rough water and a foot throttle is hard to manipulate. IF you have the bound to's for a foot throttle for rough water you may consider constructing one that swivels from near the middle instead of hinging at the heel, stoutly built. At least you could brace against it as well as throttle. I still vote hand throttle
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a big difference going out for a blast and running hard for a couple minutes and racing for 80miles in rough water. when I rigged the 24skater in 86 with foot throttle we were just out on the lake most days seeing what it could do. The first pro race really opened our eyes in 3-5ftrs. guys from longshot P7 ran away from us after first 5 mins. They were nice enough to let me look in there boat after the race [omg hand throttles}. and they had the latest front horn intakes instead of the downdrafts. immediately ordered some lathams and took the boat over to peter to get a gyro compass mount glassed into the hull! things were much better after that!
    Last edited by donmac; 11-28-2018 at 07:49 AM.

10. Likes Kcraft liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I tried to throttle for someone else was in my old VooDoo. The boat was set up for left foot throttle, so it was easy enough for the passenger to use the throttle. We were very uncoordinated. A Voo Doo is a long way from an offshore boat and I'm obviously not a qualified throttle man. But I can drive an Allison, so that's something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SAY Whaaaat...???!!?!?!

Check this out. Mercury heard your plight and the new 300R V8 & Verado 400R have Adaptive Speed Control (ASC) which eliminates the need for a throttleman. That's right! Now, your Mercury Outboard is Smarter than YOU!!! When your boat leaves the water, makes a turn or hits a big wave/wake... it can automatically sense the load change and limit the throttle as needed to save the driveline from shock or over-revving.

You see... just like McDonald's has figured out how to eliminate those complaining about minimum wage by replacing them with automated Kiosks, Mercury is changing the racing game!

http://www.mercuryracing.com/optimiz...rol-explained/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was kidding... try to get R man to chp in...2 men in the old daze.....only way..... now who knows.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I was kidding... try to get R man to chp in...2 men in the old daze.....only way..... now who knows.....
    Hey Dave!! There were some exceptions--our throttleman in the late 60's---was a bungee cord and 'red dot' rev limiters

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 12-04-2018 at 04:52 PM.

15. Likes OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kid.... going to THE merc dealer in Bellmore... Fat Stans Island marine base.....allways looking thru the parts books trying to trip them up so I could buy a pinion gear for my B quicky.....The boss.... fat Stan.... said if I could pick up a 10 hp Merc with my teeth or pick up a 1250 ss I could Have Em...... I still have my teeth and back...... But my mind has some issues......Ran FRR in my early dazzzs...... Why did that class need a deck rider? but it was fun. Off shore I get scared of England being Too close.....And 25years latter I went to an auction at that old marina and bought old inventory and found a......pinion gear for a......B quicky......I was a kid when you were racing and I am 75 years old......You must be old or I am a liar........HeeHee.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You must be old or I am a liar........HeeHee.
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nitro Glad ya picked that up......I am only as old as the bones tell me...... The mind wants to go..... but it has to drag the bones.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad ya picked that up......I am only as old as the bones tell me...... The mind wants to go..... but it has to drag the bones.....
    Dave---yeah--the bones are over 87 years old--the mind is also struggling--

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast