Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouyhead View Post
    The video shows how much on and off the throttle there is in a race, you don't have that much abrupt throttle work in rally car and airplane racing, you need full concentration for that kinda water. The throttle guy is usually the best guy in the cockpit not the driver, without him you got no engines left.

4. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    I think he’s just looking at it from the outside and asking an honest question.
    That’s the vibe I got from post #1.

In post #6 he says that obviously since rally car drivers and airplane pilots can handle the vehicle alone obviously offshore racers must have some kind of deficiency...

And by post #8 not only are the drivers idiots, but so are the designers and builders because obviously if the boats were properly designed they could be controlled by one operator, you know, like a fighter jet!

Fighter jets and their heads up displays are backed by billions of dollars of research and millions of dollars of electronics and gyroscopes and who-knows what other whatzits and gizmos that are way outside the realm of possibility for powerboats. Until powerboat racing receives a significant portion of the country’s defense budget I don’t see it likely that piloting one will be a one man job....

Instead of criticizing the sport, if you’re genuinely interested why don’t you try to understand why it is the way it is instead of telling those who are actually doing it that they’re doing it wrong? If it truly was a one man job, don’t you think that all the teams would be using a single operator? Less cost, less risk, less weight; there’s lots of potential benefits to having just one man in the cabin...
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to ruffle feathers. Was looking for a definitive objective reason. The consensus seems to be that it can't be done by just one person. This answer doesn't sit well with me as it basically criticizes and negates the ability of the human brain. I've watched the in cabin videos and don't see anything spectacular being done with the throttle man's hand that a different cockpit layout and seating style wouldn't be done faster and more accurately by the drivers foot. If say they separated the port and starboard engines to the throttle man's corresponding hands, allowing independent engine speed controls thru turns I might reconsider but there simply in and out of both throttles together.

Do the rules state that there needs to be both driver and throttle man? Unlimited hydroplane have far more going on in the cockpit? with forward wing flaps only one driver. I'll give that the water is usually smoother, but so is the water in the close to shore small course races that offshore now runs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pay attention to the driver using both hands to steer at the same time the throttle man is jerking the levers back and forth. Steering is a two hand operation. With a foot throttle you tend to “gas” it on impacts and that can lead to a wild involuntary bucking that will kite the bow...

Steering is a two handed job and foot throttles are not well suited for extremely rough conditions!
    Josh Peterson

8. Likes powerabout, AZMIDLYF, bill3077 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think every boat in the video was either crashing or was crashing soon. I have drove and crashed cars and boats for most of my adult years. I can assure you weather i am going down the dragstrip or racing new Smyrna oval track. Or in my twin 300xs Eliminator or 1 of my bass boats on the water. I have never had the thought it would be a benefit to grab the throttle and use like a ratchet. The object of going fast and having control is achieved by smoothly apply power as fast as you can while keeping chassis or hull loaded and set. I think that was a video showing what not to do while racing.

10. Likes nitro_rat, mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throttle man is doing more than just throttle..Nav, tabs trim drives gauges etc.
    Honest question have you ever driven a boat over 90-100 in rough water with other boats running that fast..just trying to watch in front of you and then try and Look at gauges..
    It's not that the brain couldnt do it it's a physical thing
    Getting bounced around and trying to concentrate
    Etc.
    And keep it you for an entire race
    Last edited by mrichartz; 11-12-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

12. Likes nitro_rat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    poor throttle man buys lots of drives....
    hence the novice gets the wheel

14. Likes mjw930 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll take it from those with experience.
    I still however can't wrap my mind around how having two people in control of the same vehicle could be anything other than a cluster#$$%.
    I also keep thinking of all the giant egos involved with powerboat racing, and I'm supposed to picture these people looking in the mirror and being ok with handing over partial control of there boats. Because it's too hard to drive alone?

Do the rules mandate two operators?
    Are there any other vehicles that are operated this way?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to take our word for it. Just take your performance boat and run it as fast as it will go without coming apart, not as fast as you are comfortable with, into head, quartering and following seas making at least 4 turns every 5 minutes for an hour or more and make sure it spends as much time in the air as it spends in the water. Then get back to us on how this works out for you.
    Mark

17. Likes mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    You don't have to take our word for it. Just take your performance boat and run it as fast as it will go without coming apart, not as fast as you are comfortable with, into head, quartering and following seas making at least 4 turns every 5 minutes for an hour or more and make sure it spends as much time in the air as it spends in the water. Then get back to us on how this works out for you.
    Pretty sure everyone at the parker enduro just did that. With one driver at a time!

Exactly what is this supposed to prove anyway? That my lap times would be faster if half the controls were someone else's responsibility?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget I asked. I'll stick with my theory that there's two operators so when they roll, flip, highside, spinout, stuff, or otherwise screwup. They can each point there fingers at each other, making it a no fault situation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Last statement that I will make about this: You can not drive with one hand and control big boats through sharp turns. Again, you need to experience it to understand it-

Joe

21. Likes vnemous liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big difference in boats and conditions at Parker race than an offshore
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Last statement that I will make about this: You can not drive with one hand and control big boats through sharp turns. Again, you need to experience it to understand it-

Joe
    I would never try. It would need a foot throttle or some other out of the box thinking on throttle control.

I just see all racing as pushing the envelope of speed and tech. There seems to be mountains of money poured into hull design, engine design, drive, and prop design. As an outside observer there appears to be a lack of effort put in to driver control and cockpit design if there still "needs" to be two operators.
    While my checkbook isn't quite big enough for me to go racing right now, one day it may be. I can say with absolute certainty that I would never build, race, or operate a boat that mandated two operators. The thought of it is terrifying. I also wonder if this hasn't turned more potential owner/ racers off to the sport?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast