Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honda bf90 prop suggestion ?

Hello, I'm looking for a new prop to my boat it's a aluminium hull with 2 steps 18 degree all way. Engine is a honda bf90 carb and current prop is a Mercury vengeance ss 13x18 and it's revving 6000rpm WOT, Now it's doing aboaut 40mph but i would like to get a couple miles more.
    I was thinking of getting a 13x19 but does any have a god idea what prop i shuold get to gain som more speed

I was looking for the laser 2 and turbo 1 prop but mayby there is some better models out there ?
    Last edited by Toffe; 11-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laser has good bow lift.....Try a 20 p

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okey thanks, when looking on pictures it looks like the laser 2 has a smaller blade area than the vengenace, but mayby the laser 2 still has good grip ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s the gear ratio 2:1 or higher if over 2:1 like 2.2:1 the you might be able to go up to 22.

Aluminum has an awful time climbing the steps and breaking suction. Round corners and such not clean sharp angles like moulded fiberglass. If you’re climbing up and they’re not just reinforcement or traction helpers awesom. If not occasionally stern lift helps like a trophy plus.

Mine likes a touch of stern just because the opti is made of lead or something.

Dont forget you you might also want to raise it a hole or two if water pressure is good. Same basics as fiberglass just sometimes the hull stuf just looks cool only.
    '06 Tracker All-Fish/Tournament V-18 90 Optimax, 46.8 gps Goal one complete reach 45 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gear ratio is 2,33:1 and the boat does climb the steps but it has its limitation because the lowest step does not go all way back so it will not come really high up. I haven't measured how high the engine is now but mayby an inch, so i will raise a hole when i get my lifting eye for it, but i think a 22p might be a little to much for the engine but i will start with a 20p i think and see what happens.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal, glad to hear it lifts.

Optimal angle is 2-5* bow lift on the step you run on.

How far back does the step run? If it’s all the way but last foot to six inches it is built in setback.
    If it does you have more of a ski pad hull (fountain design?) instead of the mor common home plate. Same rules apply it will just balance different keep weight center line and don’t overload the rear keep the bow light.

If you have the props available to test go for it. I ran a lot of props and some even seamed right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did measure the lowest step today, it stops 26 inches before the back of the boat, and did measure engine hight also and it was 0 so i will raise engine 2 holes, did look like it was an inch higer up but it was not.
    I can not do any testing because the steering is broken and it's getting winter here i finland so it will soon be ice on the sea in the coming weeks. And I don,t have any props to test so thats why I'm asking here so i don't have to buy so many props, and they are not cheap here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 17 ft Starcraft aluminum-1100 lb single side console plain vee with slightly reversed chines. Motors include a 150 Opti and a 150 Merc 4 stroke. Best prop for me has been a modified Trophy Plus- a 21 pitch on the Opti with added tip cup at 5800, and a 23 pitch with added cup and a leading edge cut on the blades at 5900 rpm on the 4 stroke. Both motors ran 61-63 mph gps on the Starcraft, but the vee hull chines walks if you don’t drive it very carefully. I run the motors with prop shaft centerline at 5 inches below the bottom which gives best performance without a lot of venting. I also tried a 21 Tempest, a 22 Turbo 2+2 OT, and just for laughs, a 27 pitch OMC chopper. The Trophy Plus prop was the best for this rig.
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good, I sorta don’t like to say buy this prop. At 26” forward I would ignore it then, but also not count it in the transom measurements. Being that your lifting I”ok got with the trophy plus 19-21 solid vent. The 2.33 gearcase can turn quite a bit of pitch depending on the engine, and actually lifting messes with most suggestions (standard not lifting would be a 17 or so). I’m only suggesting 4 blades due to my experience with a 90 with a 2.33.

The prop wont close off the pvs vents if you open them ( prop not spinning fast enough or moving forward fast enough) listing at slower speeds is common and slippage at speed.

A lot of slip when you start your tail on a 3 blade

cornering blowout reduced

i curently run a laser2 22” I got the speed but lost the lift on the stern step and was generally happier pioloting with the 4 blade I had.

Now with a 90 you can run aluminum which opens up the spitfire options 19-21” which run great on mine but will blow occasionally on a corner due to diameter 12”

good of luck in the prop hunt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okej, thanks for all answers, I will start testing in the spring.