Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Pressure to High Need a little help

I am really frustrated and need to reach out for some help. I have a fresh Jay Smith built 260, on a Jay Smith drystack adapter plate. I have been having trouble getting the water temp above 100 degrees. My water pressure with my last sportmaster at 99 mph was 20-25 lbs. I recently purchased an new sportmaster and welded up the starboard water inlet, and was excited to go out and run it. I did and at 88 mph the water pressure was 30-35 lbs. I was scared to go any faster cause the gauge was almost pegged.

My first solution will be to allow more water out of the adapter plate to decrease pressure, but this will most likely decrease the water temperature, which is already, in the "cold zone"

I have already increased the outlet at the poppitt cover to 1/2"

below is a link to motor at idle. You will see two 1/2" hoses from adapter plate with 15/64" restrictors, the heads have stock restrictor washers, and the Poppet plate hose with Half inch hose with no restriction. Pressure is about 2lbs at idle, but rises to 35 lbs at 88 mph.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance

https://youtu.be/WkmSwQdwBPE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	half inch poppet hose.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	426.5 KB 
ID:	421334
    Whitney Woolard
    Oregon/Washington
    '96 Allison XB2003 w/Mercury 2.5 260ss

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible that I have a water pump that is creating to much water flow for the rest of the system? I have run six different lower units and the standard 200 cases, seem to produce acceptable water pressures, with a Bob's cone, or Titus Cone. I guess what I am asking is there a combination of parts that would create a flow and pressure that would be to much? It just seems that the amount of water going through the motor is way to much.
    Whitney Woolard
    Oregon/Washington

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the gauge is accurate? You can test it with an air regulator output on a compressor.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

4. Thanks Cervelo777 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    Are you sure the gauge is accurate? You can test it with an air regulator output on a compressor.
    Flabum, that is a good question, I suppose the gauge could be getting weak, and could be reading higher values. Thanks for bringing up that possibility!.....and also a way to test it!
    Whitney Woolard
    Oregon/Washington

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have u tried smaller head restrictor? Smaller Washers to slow down the water?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With every JSRE drystack system we install/deliver we supply 5 restricter plugs , 2 large, 2 small and a blank so the water temp in the block can be manipulated in tandom with the ambient changing cooling media , mixing plug opening sizes to gain desired block temps , the only issue I had along with this customer we couldn’t reel in was the high pressure readings , the accuracy of the pressure gauge was always in question in my mind ... I’ve found that high pressure numbers on a accurate pressure gauge will normally point to a restriction of spent water leaving the block causing to much heat , with this situation we are seeing elevated pressures and cold block temps ???? Which doesn’t add up IF the pressure gauge readings are valid and correct .

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Smith; 10-20-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to suggest checking the temp gauge too..... any time you see an odd problem, all the tools used to check it should be checked too.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
    With every JSRE drystack system we install/deliver we supply 5 restricter plugs , 2 large, 2 small and a blank so the water temp in the block can be manipulated in tandom with the ambient changing cooling media , mixing plug opening sizes to gain desired block temps , the only issue I had along with this customer we couldn’t reel in was the high pressure readings , the accuracy of the pressure gauge was always in question in my mind ... I’ve found that high pressure numbers on a accurate pressure gauge will normally point to a restriction of spent water leaving the block causing to much heat , with this situation we are seeing elevated pressures and cold block temps ???? Which doesn’t add up IF the pressure gauge readings are valid and correct .

Jay
    I should mention that Jay Smith has spent way more time on the phone with me answering every question about anything I wanted to ask. His customer service is above and beyond anything I ever expected, so i hope that it Jay did not feel that I was pointing any finger at him. To be honest I have called him so many times, I felt bad bothering him again, he has always taken time to get my little brain marching in the right direction. I tested my water pressure gauge today as Flabum suggested, and believe that it is reading 15 lbs. to high, and will order another one Monday. I also feel that my temperature gauge may be lying to me as well. Again, thank you for your patience with me and all the help.
    Whitney Woolard
    Oregon/Washington

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jay will get u straightened out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Whitney,
    i try to go the extra mile with all engines we build and target total satisfaction with any motor I build . As a rule of thumb If there isn’t a creditable or any gauge to validate temperatures I find if you can hold your hand on the top of the head and hold it there comfortably for an extended time it pretty cool ,if you can hold it there for say 3-5 seconds before it’s becomes too hot to stay there it’s just about correct . I realize That’s not scientific at all , I would always opt to use a temp gun or temp stick to take all the guess work and check calibration accuracy of temp gauge to concur correct / accurate block temps , water pressure gauges need to be tested to validate its accuracies also , one must start with accurate data to reach any conclusion .

Good luck ,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE