Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No knock sensor needed. The newer ECU uses the coilpack dwell to determine if the fuel is higher quality or not. The higher the octane the more time it takes for the spark to propagate into combustion. This translates directly into ECU tuning and something I have been doing for years when tuning cars for E15 to E85 or race fuels.

2. Thanks XstreamVking thanked for this post
    Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    No knock sensor needed. The newer ECU uses the coilpack dwell to determine if the fuel is higher quality or not. The higher the octane the more time it takes for the spark to propagate into combustion. This translates directly into ECU tuning and something I have been doing for years when tuning cars for E15 to E85 or race fuels.
    I'm sorry but your statement is incorrect

Dwell in ignition systems refers to the period of time that the coil is turned on. That is, it is the length of time that current flows through the primary winding of the coil. Google it
    As far as ecu tuning goes coil dwell time is adjusted a little to get hotter stronger spark if your having spark blow out on a high horsepower application.

BUT I don't know everything but if you can Google something that supports your statement coil dwell is used to determine fuel quality I'll believe it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jz View Post
    I'm sorry but your statement is incorrect

Dwell in ignition systems refers to the period of time that the coil is turned on. That is, it is the length of time that current flows through the primary winding of the coil. Google it
    As far as ecu tuning goes coil dwell time is adjusted a little to get hotter stronger spark if your having spark blow out on a high horsepower application.

BUT I don't know everything but if you can Google something that supports your statement coil dwell is used to determine fuel quality I'll believe it
    I will assume that since your screen name is 2JZ, you know all about tuning, turbos and Supras. So if you know such things, how can you not know that the electronics monitor the amount of time it takes for a coilpack to release it's energy? YES, the dwell is the amount of time the SPARK propagates, not the combustion... but that time is also monitored by the ECU, triggered by the teeth on the flywheel or crank.

So understanding that... I can fine tune spark, fuel trim and timing PER cylinder on many OEM ECUs available today... how do you think modern vehicles can pinpoint exactly which cylinder is misfiring, not just a bank?

I will not claim I know everything about outboards and tuning, I have immersed myself into building 3.0 & 3.2L Optis over the past year... but I also have 30+ years of tuning/building/racing some of the fastest cars ever built. For a year I held the record for the quickest stock-frame turbo GTR and my brother has the Production Car Track Record at multiple road courses across the USA. We were one of the first to put a Powerglide in a Supra and hit 8's back when TX2K first began.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GTR-Track.jpg   14425278_866450740155419_2032142628387374073_o.jpg   15585401_926032507530575_3717064668880873052_o.jpg  
    Last edited by Tango; 10-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.

5. Likes Davidlake liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4