Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There goes James again. Seems he has to cast shadows of mistrust and dishonesty about farmers and really the entire industry. Hope you don't choke on your supper, James!!!

Not sure what the big deal is. Mine is a bit newer ('12) but I can access all the codes it throws on the screen. I just drop by the dealership, give them the code, they run it and even print off a schematic of the location and part number of the sensor. You don't have to do what those articles say. You can call and they will send a tech out if you want. A call out will be 80 bucks or so depending on how far out you are. Also that article talking about loading it onto a transport and carrying it into the dealership is bull$hit. I have never done that. It has to be a catastrophic failure.

2. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an owner of a european auto repair biz and related to this John Deere BS , in order to repair Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, VW, etc.security related components I must maintain a Locksmith ID which requires a background check,special rider to the shops insurance police and about $400.00. It expires every two years and must renewed through pretty much the same procedure. In this case of MB security related items (TRP) that means Engine Computers, Ignition Switches, Ignition Locks, Transmission Control Modules, Shifter Assemblies, (basically anything that would be included in the sequence chain of events to starting the vehicle and driving it off). Ordering any of the afrorementioned parts requires multiple forms of paperwork including photo ID of the vehicle owner and all must be submitted to the parts manager (not the counter jockey) who is the only one who can authorize the order. As one might expect, the dealership representative is usually less than helpful in ordering said parts and multiple follow up calls are always required. We find the average TRP order can take a month or longer to be fullfilled. I see this as worsening problem and a right to repair law is a bandaid to address the larger problem of copyright law. If you buy, you own it. Im not saying the manufacturers should be required to provide access, I'm sayingthey shouldn't be able to stop the aftermarket from offering solutions/alternatives to repairing their half baked technologies.

4. Likes Forkin' Crazy, NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RED ALERT View Post
    As an owner of a european auto repair biz and related to this John Deere BS , in order to repair Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, VW, etc.security related components I must maintain a Locksmith ID which requires a background check,special rider to the shops insurance police and about $400.00. It expires every two years and must renewed through pretty much the same procedure. In this case of MB security related items (TRP) that means Engine Computers, Ignition Switches, Ignition Locks, Transmission Control Modules, Shifter Assemblies, (basically anything that would be included in the sequence chain of events to starting the vehicle and driving it off). Ordering any of the afrorementioned parts requires multiple forms of paperwork including photo ID of the vehicle owner and all must be submitted to the parts manager (not the counter jockey) who is the only one who can authorize the order. As one might expect, the dealership representative is usually less than helpful in ordering said parts and multiple follow up calls are always required. We find the average TRP order can take a month or longer to be fullfilled. I see this as worsening problem and a right to repair law is a bandaid to address the larger problem of copyright law. If you buy, you own it. Im not saying the manufacturers should be required to provide access, I'm sayingthey shouldn't be able to stop the aftermarket from offering solutions/alternatives to repairing their half baked technologies.
    Makes sense. My thinking is what a huge sales advantage to offer by including service tools within the system not to mention make their OWN service techs lives a ton easier by having it all included. The current canBUS lockdown is stone age from a service standpoint vs a master controller/tuner suite package.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2