Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking 1985 Evinrude 60hp

I have recently bought myself an Evinrude 60hp 2 cylinder ( compression is 150 and 152) and I want to do some mods on it over the winter. I am relatively new to the world of outboard modification ( I'm 16) so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. The motor will be going on my homebuilt 13' Glen-L Tuffy, so I know I will never be getting really impressive numbers like I would be in a Critchfield or something. The boat currently goes 37 mph with my 1981 Johnson 50hp ( Compression 120 and 80 and has a mangled aluminum prop) so I'm hoping to get 45+ when I'm done modding and am correctly propped. What kind of work would you guys recommend to get top speed? I've heard of upgrading to 70hp carbs on the 3 cyl 60hp motors but I've been shut down when asking about upgrading 2 cyl carbs on iboats forum. I've also have been thinking of cutting the bonnet and putting velocity stacks on it. Anybody know anything about short shaft power trim for it? I know its rare but I haven't been able to find anything. I'm open to doing a lot of stuff to get the speed I want to get! Once again, any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The carbs you have are the better ones to use. 81' 70hp carbs are smaller than what you have.

get Yamaha v4 - 115 reed cages. just a Little modification needed.

Pull sleeves from block ( empty/clean block in oven @ 350degf for 30 mins, sleeves come out easy.

Clean glue / casting lines from behind sleeve area > !! Do not get crazy removing material as this will cost you crankcase pressure.

Cut front of crankcase until crank touches reeds (Without a gasket ).

My experience w/ these engines is that the velocity stacks actually hurt more that help. ( carbs want to cross talk)

Fabricate a small piece of aluminum sheet, bent at a 90deg angle ( aprox width of carb base & travels forward to aprox 1/2" - 1" past the carb front openings. Mount this horizontally between the carbs. This helps eliminate the cross talk.

This engine likes compression 175-185

3. Thanks Callum5009 thanked for this post