Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    I dont think there is any money in high performance motors thats why nobody else has them, as much as I hate to say that?
    Naaaa can't be any money in it .... Every race , fun run , poker run , gathering , fishing tournament , performance hull builder , factory low water pick up built today , factory built surfacing propellor , 99% of the used engines , mids , lowers , etc , are either from Mercury or have been sold by Mercury at one time or another ...

2. Likes MeCapnDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposedly The End Of The Road In 2019

I dont think there is any money in high performance motors thats why nobody else has them, as much as I hate to say that?
    I read a Mercury HP memo somewhere this year that production of any kind of racing hardware will end in 2019. Inventories will be depleted and not refilled. F1 Outboard racing engines cannot be purchased as a complete item (powerhead, mid-section, SSM gearcase). Only the "pieces" can be purchased. The only high performance motors to be sold (future?) will be the ProXS line. Racing used to have direct ties to product development. None of this 4 stroke stuff (Verado to begin with) ever saw one lap on a race course. Merc is doing development of new designs in other ways now.
    Last edited by WaterZebra; 08-25-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where you're from water zebra but I've talked to a few dealers around here and getting info is kinda like pulling teeth... One dealer in the area is pretty good but the rest have no info and they try to sell me a supercharged 300 Verado when I ask about a 300R. I find myself educating them instead of me learning something from them... In their defense, I know it's their busy season.. But when I worked at a snowmobile dealership, I was always up on the new models and their features.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vnemous View Post
    Many dealers, like Mercury are required to sell a certain amount of engines a year, Its much more financially responsible to have smaller, less expensive motors on your floor plan than a bunch of big or high performance motors. JMO
    Hell we thought that. Around here the small **** dont sell. 90 and above. I just cut all my 25 and below motors to what I paid prices because some of them have been sitting around for a year or more. My stocking order was all big stuff this year, and most of it's sold already before it even showed up.

6. Likes nitro_rat, vnemous liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BRP recreational products is larger than the new Brunswick without the fitness stuff will probably be, after the first year of separation the figures will be out on who makes the money??

If you announce it and cant supply it, you have created a big window of opportunity for your opposition to make a new product and make yours old news...
    I remember in 96 I bought a Kawasaki 900cc PWC from a relative who sold Sea Doo's as well. I thought the Seadoo was not on par with Jetski quality. While I still think all three Yammy, Kawa and Seadoo make good stuff BRP sells skyrocketed. I would love to know why BRP is staying two stroke with their outboard motors as everyone else has gone to 4. Maybe they know something the rest don't or maybe they don't know something the rest does........Or maybe they are on the way to perfecting the two stroke design where Mercury and others could not ????

22R
    Last edited by 22R; 08-27-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    I remember in 96 I bought a Kawasaki 900cc PWC from a relative who sold Sea Doo's as well. I thought the Seadoo was not on par with Jetski quality. While I still think all three Yammy, Kawa and Seadoo make good stuff BRP sells skyrocketed. I would love to know why BRP is staying two stroke with their outboard motors as everyone else has gone to 4. Maybe they know something the rest don't or maybe they don't know something the rest does........Or maybe they are on the way to perfecting the two stroke design where Mercury and others could not ????

22R
    Yes always wondered for a company (BRP)that has far more experience at building performance 4s than most others.
    Last edited by powerabout; 08-29-2018 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we see is not surprising at all:

1. Keeping inventory requires a lot of capital. Google for floor plan financing if you want to learn more. It is better to keep a central stock and ship the engine where it is needed when there is a customer order.
    2. It takes some time to ramp up manufacturing of a completely new engine platform
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Classes Of Customers

Quote Originally Posted by stealthperf View Post
    Not sure where you're from water zebra but I've talked to a few dealers around here and getting info is kinda like pulling teeth... One dealer in the area is pretty good but the rest have no info and they try to sell me a supercharged 300 Verado when I ask about a 300R. I find myself educating them instead of me learning something from them... In their defense, I know it's their busy season.. But when I worked at a snowmobile dealership, I was always up on the new models and their features.
    I heard this from Merc Product Tour people on Monday..............Boat builders and big box dealers are considered VIP / 1st class seating on this marketing / sales trip and everybody else (dealer re-power purchases and walk-in customers) will be seated in the standard coach seating area. Yeah, I have the same story going on with dealers in my neck of the woods..........One guy was all over it and has a good rep with the Merc folks and the other 4 dealerships?.....They will not be getting any sympathetic vibes from me when they file Chapter 11 due to excessive napping on the job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    I heard this from Merc Product Tour people on Monday..............Boat builders and big box dealers are considered VIP / 1st class seating on this marketing / sales trip and everybody else (dealer re-power purchases and walk-in customers) will be seated in the standard coach seating area. Yeah, I have the same story going on with dealers in my neck of the woods..........One guy was all over it and has a good rep with the Merc folks and the other 4 dealerships?.....They will not be getting any sympathetic vibes from me when they file Chapter 11 due to excessive napping on the job.
    Yep... due to the fact of no information and the info i got didn't sound great... I deceided to go with a 300xs project...... I know i can get props that will work, i won't need a merc tech to go with me to go prop testing with a computer to read "load" and the lower unit is proven to be fast.... I think the new ones will be great someday. My pockets just aren't deep enough to justify the cost and time to go through all that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Naaaa can't be any money in it .... Every race , fun run , poker run , gathering , fishing tournament , performance hull builder , factory low water pick up built today , factory built surfacing propellor , 99% of the used engines , mids , lowers , etc , are either from Mercury or have been sold by Mercury at one time or another ...
    yes because they are the only game in town but its what 1% of sales thats why they are the only game in town.
    Last edited by powerabout; 08-30-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last paragraph of this article sums it up...
    https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2017...g04yzgm3zse9ha

15. Likes 22R liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2