Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cali kid View Post
    Wires, fuel rail, injectors, ect.
    Sounds like all are necessary for operation. How could you possibly remove it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually thought about this when I first popped the manifold off. I was like wtf is all this wiring and **** doing in the intake. I built an injection system with a car I had before. Used Gm fuel injectors and a custom Computer, MAP sensor from a GM. Basically you had two options for that conversion one was to mount a TBI and GM with an adapter plate. the other was to drill and tap the manifold with bungs to install the injectors into. Outside of having the injectors closer to the reed plates not too sure why they did it like this. I would have thought 6 small TBI units would have be a better setup on these intakes. Has anyone taken carb 3 V6 and thought about installing 6 smaller tbi units with the Merc Fuel injectors mounted in them. This has been done in older carbed car motors for a long time.

I don't have a picture of my unit but its basically the same setup as this. Of course the draw back was the injectors used to spray straight down onto the manifolds versus directly into the valves but it was way better than the carb setup.

Fuel rail system
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2wcmmhj.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	416407

Original intake.. well this one has a GM throttle body plate mounted to it.

I used a Megasquirt Injection computer. fully programmable.
    I don't think one woul dneed to go with this as i'm not sure if it will control the spark advance etc... and the Merc computer already does that.

IMO if you built a custom intake manifold based off the carb motors and used the GM dual barrel throttle bodies and modified them to accept the Merc stok fuel injectors all you really need to do is setup the TBI throttle plates to let in enough air flow.

People were using this setup with a turbo to take a slant 6 to well over 500 HP and the merc V6 is a much more powerful base to start with than the slant 6 ever was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of the DFI merc motors use individual throttle bodies for the intakes(yes I know they are DFI and have no injectors but its a good base to start with if they do or are they all just downdraft intakes like the EFI's?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom92 View Post
    Sounds like all are necessary for operation. How could you possibly remove it?
    As my first post states, 300x reed assy. Uses exterior mounted injectors, and nice 5 petal carbon fiber reeds. Or the 6 pedal reeds will also work. Takes everything out of the intake. Most of the performance gain is right there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cali kid View Post
    As my first post states, 300x reed assy. Uses exterior mounted injectors, and nice 5 petal carbon fiber reeds. Or the 6 pedal reeds will also work. Takes everything out of the intake. Most of the performance gain is right there.
    OK I'm with you now. Is there an intake swap that's necessary to do this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh.... https://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...ler-components
    Looks strikingly similar to what we did hacking the Slant six into an injection setup. horizontally mounted injectors. Looking at the diagram the injectors spray in in on the outside of the reeds? Where does the oil get injected or does it get mixed with the fuel before the fuel hits the injectors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strat250 View Post
    Ahh.... https://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...ler-components
    Looks strikingly similar to what we did hacking the Slant six into an injection setup. horizontally mounted injectors. Looking at the diagram the injectors spray in in on the outside of the reeds? Where does the oil get injected or does it get mixed with the fuel before the fuel hits the injectors?
    Gets mixed in the VST as before.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like form the parts diagram you would nned part number 1, 25, can probably re use the fuel pump, and intake manifold but would need to cap off the fuel lines enter or just swap out the intake manifold assembly as a whole.

I still think it would be a more efficient system to mount three dual barrel TBI systems each with two Merc promax injectors mounted in them from a GM type deal with a custom mounting plate bolted to the reed plate and short wide arm mounted to them with GM throttle body plates welded to them.

Having the fuel try to atomize flow across the reed plates can't be a good system. the TBIs mounted would have the fuel injector spray directly at the reed plates. it would definatly take some effort to make the intake though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sorta what Im thinking... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	416412

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use your intake. The link rods for tps and throttle cam are longer. Oem parts, and cheap. You can use your stock fuel rail if you modify it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2002 - 2005 were the only years the 300x were produced . Go to your local outboard boneyard and see how many of them are littered about ... Zero
    But there are usually same year 225 / 250's available for your choosing .
    Many of the base components are shared between the two . The ones that are not , can be modified , bought new or now better than new .

For guys with running motors that want a little more , the best bang for the buck is to clip your heads to 64-65cc . Lighten the flywheel to aprox 13 pounds . Strip your reed blocks of the rubber coating , lap them flat and install the reed Chris Carson makes just for this.
    Easy external parts to get to . Still quiet as a church mouse and will usually pull one more pitch size prop to the same rpm .

The 300x exhaust can has a "cats eye" hole on the side to help them idle a little cleaner as well as a hole at the base to vent some exhaust away from going thru the lower unit . I have cut the back off and left it off . I have cut the back off , made a few 2" holes and welded the whole thing back on . Each had a different level of sound .

If you are going to cut the can off , leave the water dumps a little longer .

Now that it's not so constipated ..
    You can't buy the X reed adapter plate from Merc any longer but these billet adapter plates and fuel rail's are available that will move the injectors , rail , harness , brackets , bridges and other junk out of the airstream ..

It would be a good idea to put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the VST at this point if your mature enough to not run it lean . It will keep going faster the more you turn it left .. until it saws itself in half . The whole reason for putting it there is to keep the bottom two cylinders fat and happy ..

There are two pretty common sense "stages" if you want to call them that . With moderate compression, it will still run on pump gas .
    Anything after that requires going into the block and doing port work big bore kits etc .

E-85 ... Man , don't you know boaters will drive to the end's of the earth to find "wrek" fuel .. ? LOL ..
    The only thing I see wrong with it , is that it is "Hydroscopic" . The whole time the boat is in the water , near the water , or the humidity is high and the tank vent is not plugged , it would be absorbing water .

12. Thanks XstreamVking thanked for this post
    Likes XstreamVking, YBSane liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz,
    Awesome info. I think my only question that remains is what is the actual difference between a 2002 225 efi and a 2002 250 efi. from everything I ave been trying to gather its just the computer programming?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strat250 View Post
    Chaz,
    Awesome info. I think my only question that remains is what is the actual difference between a 2002 225 efi and a 2002 250 efi. from everything I ave been trying to gather its just the computer programming?
    The 250 may or may not have a little more exhaust height. As long as there is no compression notch in your 225, very little difference. Maybe Chaz knows. He is pretty much the bench mark here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chaz. That's very enlightening. Looking at my powerhead it has C-15A heads. I assumed all the efi 225s were C-2. Dont know if that makes a difference or not. I'm assuming these can be more readily cut down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That can be a minefield all unto itself.
    I fixed an opti block a couple months ago that had a split register. The owner said it was a 250 there were enough minute differences in year to year or mid-year changes to the optis back then that maybe didn't even last a year that it wound up being a 06 225 sleeve if I remember correctly .

http://advancedsleeve.com/Documents/...%20Catalog.pdf

Honestly , I don't go by any of those head casting numbers . I pour every head before I ever touch it ( OK -Ok so the Mrs does it ) and before it leaves the building so everybody involved knows exactly what we had and what we now have .

I was teasing RS that my test wheel don't go down to 225/2fiddy but if you think it's in the box , then it's easy to slot the second hole on the crank trigger eye to make sure you get 28* @ WOT ...

17. Thanks Kitch thanked for this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast