Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the fastest you have gone with regular controls?

Im getting used to driving this stream without a foot throttle and I like the freedom of foot well area and ability to put it into cruise control so to speak. The wife and I have been covering some good distance in this boat and while I was all hot to trot to put a foot throttle in so I could handle it better now that I have some seat time I find it fine as is. As I add power I realize this will no longer suffice so I got wondering, how fast have some of you gone with standard controls?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have owned a bunch of boats and the first two were the only ones I had without a foot throttle. Boat number three was also the first boat to run over 80 but after that I never looked back. Nothing better than two hands on the wheel. Once you get some power on you stream, unless you have hydraulic steering, and start sufacing a prop you will need to have both hands on the wheel just to handle the torque. If you like the hand control for cruising maybe look into the "in control" throttle. If i am thinking correctly it allows for both hand and foot. Your boat with seriouis power will need everything it can get to make it easier and safer to drive. Be careful and have fun safely.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did see the dual action set ups and one member machined an adjustable throttle stop that uses the hand control to set the stop which I really liked and I will emulate at some point for sure. As it is with the dual cable steering this boat is a tough deal to handle full tilt with one hand. I have figured out the body position now but soon as I have it wide open and trim set I do run both hands on the wheel to counter the chine walk. The chine isn't bad once I figured out that you trim up to fly it and then back down a little to settle it on the pad, that made a massive difference in high speed control for me as well as getting the engine height correct. It doesn't like too much jack plate lift it prefers a deeper prop and more trim. Once I get the plate too high it paddle wheels all over the place and doesnt go any faster. The paddle wheel effect is very freaky I still haven't settled in to enjoy even a little of that effect where chine walking a little is kind of fun, the wheeling is certainly not.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A torque tab on bottom of skeg will help BIG time on the torque of the wheel , if u dnt have 1 it's a very cheap mod that's a must to me, they help most on a surfacing unit,but will help on one running little deeper, should help on chine walk also

5. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went 80 and decided that was fast enough for hand controls.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    70 was enough for me , with torque of wheel and chine walk got little hairy with 1 hand. For me neway

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    72 was fast enough for me, foot throttle is like night and day. Except when my foot starts to fall asleep

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 2 "over-powered" boats with no foot throttle. The 1st was a v-king with a 2.5 260. I did not have a speedo or gps in it so I can't say how fast it went. I remember I ran out of courage before I ran out of rpms. Guessing about 90 or so. My Ventura 1 that I have now has no foot throttle because I wanted to keep it a "family" boat. The motor is jacked pretty high so it handles real well. About 82 mph on a good day. I will say that with one hand on the wheel I MUST keep a close watch on big slop coming my way. I also should say that I have 1000's of hours driving hydrostreams.

10. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 without a foot throttle is steel balls territory wow. I'm still in the 60mph range so lots of room to go.

I might try a torque tab on the stock lower and see how it goes. The steering gets very stiff as I wind it out, maybe that will help? I do want/need trim and lift tabs on the steering thats going to happen before a foot throttle. Probably all off season mods as I plan it out. The boats great though, tons of fun and a real rocket from 20mph+
    Hydrostream dreamin

12. Likes VooDooChild 1267 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran 80mph in a 17 checkmate with a 225hp 3L johnny with dual ride guide and standard controls. Handled well, probably could have gone 85mph with regular controls. I didnt have a nose cone or a jackplate

14. Thanks Chillinthemost thanked for this post
    Likes Chillinthemost liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    72 mph for me...I figured it was safe and can't get in trouble in a 21' at those speeds,tell the day i almost got bit being complacent in the Columbia river (it's crazy how water can act in a narrow dredged river that monster tankers push through)....Put a foot throttle in and never looked back.I also don't allow myself to become lame behind the wheel anymore,no matter what the speed is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    90 without a foot throttle is steel balls territory wow. I'm still in the 60mph range so lots of room to go.

I might try a torque tab on the stock lower and see how it goes. The steering gets very stiff as I wind it out, maybe that will help? I do want/need trim and lift tabs on the steering thats going to happen before a foot throttle. Probably all off season mods as I plan it out. The boats great though, tons of fun and a real rocket from 20mph+
    You will not be disappointed in the tab ,I can promise that, nite day difference

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooChild 1267 View Post
    I also don't allow myself to become lame behind the wheel anymore,no matter what the speed is.
    This. Cannot slip into zombie mode no matter what boat your driving. Things can change mighty quick on the water you gotta keep your eyeballs peeled and be ready to act. Even then we have all nailed a few rogue waves due to glare or whatever. I've had old faithful at least 6' out of the water before, in my younger days, when I was more laid back or whatever youth distraction term you wanna use
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merclover View Post
    You will not be disappointed in the tab ,I can promise that, nite day difference

Your input on this whole project has been stellar thus far, thanks again
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My bote only 15ft ,with a 200, I could handle the 150 but when i went to 200 ,was a whole new ball game. Doesn't have best of pads, and single cable steering at the time. I had to get hotfoot just to attemp more speeds,also really needs helm trim switches also, with the way over powered bote,and old school steering, it got very hairy, corner to corner hairy, but when I switched over to 200 I had torque tab and low water pick up and it was a huge difference in that tab alone

20. Likes pjbrownva liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast