Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 150hp 4-stroke

Has anyone had theirs tuned by Simon as I'm a little skeptical of the claimed 25hp gains from just AFR optimization and timing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I belive it. At 3 liters it's a big motor and can move some air.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWORDS View Post
    I belive it. At 3 liters it's a big motor and can move some air.
    Coming from a performance shop, a 6.0L V8 which came with an 87 octane tune is hard pressed to gain 25hp with just a 93 octane tune. It'd be nice if outboards manufacturers or tuners shared dyno graphs like in the automotive world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE-Z06 View Post
    Has anyone had theirs tuned by Simon as I'm a little skeptical of the claimed 25hp gains from just AFR optimization and timing?
    I'm going to find out soon. I wanted to get the new ProXS version, but couldn't, so will be "tuning" a regular 150 4 stroke. Will probably run it for a month stock, then start messing with it.

The stock one dynos at 158 HP. The Proxs dynos at 163 HP and gains 200 RPM.

I'm going to add solid mounts, low water, and tune it, see what it does without removing or machining anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    I'm going to find out soon. I wanted to get the new ProXS version, but couldn't, so will be "tuning" a regular 150 4 stroke. Will probably run it for a month stock, then start messing with it.

The stock one dynos at 158 HP. The Proxs dynos at 163 HP and gains 200 RPM.

I'm going to add solid mounts, low water, and tune it, see what it does without removing or machining anything.
    I saw your post on BBC in the Allison forum and anxious to see results. Thats what I've read and Simon claims an additional 25 from the 158 they said and not just 175, he raises the limiter higher than even the new Pro XS does. Do you plan on making your own solid mounts? You know the uppers are stiffer on the Pro XS version right and came from the Sea Pro version? Not sure if it's a different durometer or just a washer added to compress rubber more as I let the dealership do the install on mine since it was still under warranty.

6. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I saw your post on BBC in the Allison forum and anxious to see results. Thats what I've read and Simon claims an additional 25 from the 158 they said and not just 175, he raises the limiter higher than even the new Pro XS does. Do you plan on making your own solid mounts? You know the uppers are stiffer on the Pro XS version right and came from the Sea Pro version? Not sure if it's a different durometer or just a washer added to compress rubber more as I let the dealership do the install on mine since it was still under warranty.
    Ya, we are having solid mounts made. I tried to get the Pro but it was impossible to buy one, just not available anywhere. You did the SeaPro mounts?

The testing has begun. Mounts and lower first. Then ECU. So far, really impressed. At just 5400 RPM, breaking it in, it went 72 MPH, 28" Promax.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, we are having solid mounts made. I tried to get the Pro but it was impossible to buy one, just not available anywhere. You did the SeaPro mounts?

The testing has begun. Mounts and lower first. Then ECU. So far, really impressed. At just 5400 RPM, breaking it in, it went 72 MPH, 28" Promax.
    Long story, but started having issues controlling chine walk and hearing noise when running rough water. Found bolts/nuts loose that I've never checked before and noticed the outboard moving around more when trailering even though I always use a toter. Compared it to new 150hp 4-strokes which already have softer mounts to begin with to help with NVH on pontoon boats I believe as that's why Evinrude builds their pontoon series 4 cylinders with specific softer mounts and mine was even easier to move and figured it would only get worse possibly causing a bow hook at 65+. Found out the mounts on the 2018 Pro XS were upgraded and came from the 2015 Sea Pro version which was released after an "extreme duty version" was created in 2013 a year after the initial 2012 release. You put on scoops for low water pickup or actually swapped lower unit for different nose cone and what's your pad to prop measurement as that's a low slip number? I've done a best of 66 at the 5900rpm limiter with a 24 Fury.

https://youtu.be/Wnn0Lsd1wbI

https://youtu.be/BfpXbcD3oAA
    Last edited by PRE-Z06; 10-18-2018 at 07:28 AM.

9. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @pre_z06, wow that's insane. Ours moves around quite a bit, but not like that. We can't wait to get the solid mounts on it. Once we do that and have low water pickup, we can really test it.

The ProXS will be much better out of the box for sure. I would guess the SeaPro mounts are the same, if they are the stiffer rubber.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Long story Found out the mounts on the 2018 Pro XS were upgraded and came from the 2015 Sea Pro version which was released after an "extreme duty version" was created in 2013 a year after the initial 2012 release. You put on scoops for low water pickup or actually swapped lower unit for different nose cone and what's your pad to prop measurement as that's a low slip number? I've done a best of 66 at the 5900rpm limiter with a 24 Fury.
    Do you know the part number of those mounts? We ran it about 1 inch below the pad, but had no water pressure gauge, so couldn't push it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got the number for the Uppers: 8M0111054 (pro xs and sea pro)

There might be a separate set for the "extreme duty" Is this what you got? Is the extreme duty same or similar to the Pro version? How are they?

I think I may have to get some made out of Delrin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's the part# I got from Mercury even though they said what my motor was doing was normal. The extreme duty kit was offered before the Sea Pro came to market, it included a better trim bearing that became standard issue. The upper mounts are now sold separately where as they weren't before. Not sure if they're actually a higher durometer or just preloaded to allow less movement. I couldn't believe the 150hp outboard doesn't come standard with a water psi sending unit, but again I think it was intended for use on pontoon/pleasure boats that don't run elevated engine heights. I've only been up to 2.75" below pad on the Basscat before running out of water psi. The new mounts are better as far as high speed handling and doesn't wiggle as much by hand or when trailering, still a little concerned about the wear on the transom and swivel bracket at such low hours though Mercury says that's normal too. Honestly been considering moving up to new 175hp 3.4L Pro XS if I can confirm it's truly only 15lbs more than my current 150.
    https://youtu.be/lEIqlRR9cqI

https://youtu.be/HZIwjzeV3GA
    Last edited by PRE-Z06; 10-18-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's the part# I got from Mercury even though they said what my motor was doing was normal. The extreme duty kit was offered before the Sea Pro came to market, it included a better trim bearing that became standard issue. The upper mounts are now sold separately where as they weren't before. Not sure if they're actually a higher durometer or just preloaded to allow less movement. I couldn't believe the 150hp outboard doesn't come standard with a water psi sending unit, but again I think it was intended for use on pontoon/pleasure boats that don't run elevated engine heights. I've only been up to 2.75" below pad on the Basscat before running out of water psi. The new mounts are better as far as high speed handling and doesn't wiggle as much by hand or when trailering, still a little concerned about the wear on the transom and swivel bracket at such low hours though Mercury says that's normal too. Honestly been considering moving up to new 175hp 3.4L Pro XS if I can confirm it's truly only 15lbs more than my current 150.
    https://youtu.be/lEIqlRR9cqI

https://youtu.be/HZIwjzeV3GA
    I'm debating whether to bother with the pro mounts if they aren't great either.

Depending on the boat, the 175 could be decent, but I prefer the size of the 4 cyl. With oil and the cowling, the v6 is over 500 lbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm debating whether to bother with the pro mounts if they aren't great either.

Depending on the boat, the 175 could be decent, but I prefer the size of the 4 cyl. With oil and the cowling, the v6 is over 500 lbs.
    If you can get solid mounts made if go that route especially since you're running faster and at an elevated height. I was worried about voiding warranty and not confident in the setup handling more power. Think the single trim cylinder is how they kept the weight down to make it the lightest 150hp 4-stroke on the market. The fast trim makes it a little more tricky to creep up on the limits as well, but I like how fast it reacts in certain cases when crossing an unexpected wake at high speeds.

That's what I was afraid of as saw post about the V8 being heavier than advertised, have you weighed one? I have a 18' boat that weighs 1250lbs and didn't go with the 175hp SHO because it was heavier as well as figured I could tune the Merc once warranty expired. It's a simpler design with more cubes and sohc instead of dohc with vct which is better for longevity in my book. Looks like I'll save up for a 20' model Basscat and get a 505lb SHO tuned instead.

16. Likes WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you can get solid mounts made if go that route especially since you're running faster and at an elevated height. I was worried about voiding warranty and not confident in the setup handling more power.
    Was just going to order the new mounts, I was wrong, the ProXS uppers are different, and stiffer apparently.
    Part Number is: 8M0111054

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just going to order the new mounts, I was wrong, the ProXS uppers are different, and stiffer apparently.
    Part Number is: 8M0111054
    That's the part number on my warranty invoice from dealer, please post picture of difference once you get yours.