Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    That’s what Volvo and Mercedes are doing in the big rigs...
    something about an Italian dieselwith all the DEF/emission crap just scares me...
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

2. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoker2001 View Post
    something about an Italian dieselwith all the DEF/emission crap just scares me...
    Fiat invented the common rail diesel engine.

VM Motori supplies a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder diesel engine to the current generation London taxi cabs. They see some use. (The new generation will have a Volvo 3 cyl gasoline engine and an electric motor)
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

4. Likes stoker2001 liked this post
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a link to a lil more about this A630 engine

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...-0l-ecodiesel/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make boat engines, too:

http://www.vmmotori.com/marine/marini-2.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VM Motori supplies a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder diesel engine to the current generation London taxi cabs. They see some use. (The new generation will have a Volvo 3 cyl gasoline engine and an electric motor)
    I have heard horror stories that these italian engine manufactures don't stand behind the emission failures on these new dodge trucks and owner is stuck with HUGE expenses

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do tell. Wouldn’t Dodge be the one responsible for the emissions warranty and have to pick up the bill?
    What specifically is failing?

Looking at the specs and pricing it seems Dodge would have a hit with this package.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In any case, Dodge RAM is owned and managed by Fiat s.p.a. so engine and truck are both Italian whether it is made and assembled in US, Mexico, Italy or wherever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetime View Post
    Do tell. Wouldn’t Dodge be the one responsible for the emissions warranty and have to pick up the bill?
    What specifically is failing?

Looking at the specs and pricing it seems Dodge would have a hit with this package.
    you can google it,the first Gens in 15/16 had real expensive emission failures that wernt covered (read fine print)...BTW,you gonna be bombing around this Friday at BIG Cat run?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fiat didn't invent it. The reason people in the U.S. are weary of Fiat is their history here in the U.S. isn't great. They sold cars in the U.S. when Fiat meant Fix It Again Tony. The days of the Fiat Spyder of the 1960's-1980's. My sister had one, fun cars to drive but electrical problems were frequent; like the same era of British cars.
    It takes time to get rid of a reputation like that.

Wasn't the Cummins NH250 a common rail inj. engine? What about the Detroit Diesel 2 stroke diesels, isn't that a type of common rail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail
    "Common rail engines have been used in marine and locomotive applications for some time. The Cooper-Bessemer GN-8 (circa 1942) is an example of a hydraulically operated common rail diesel engine, also known as a modified common rail.

Vickers pioneered the use of common rail injection in submarine engines. Vickers engines with the common rail fuel system were first used in 1916 in the G-class submarines."

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...re-efficiency/
    "During my research on the subject, one amazing thing I discovered was that the concept has been in existence for more than 50 years! The idea was apparently developed by a gentleman named Robert Huber of Switzerland in the 1960s. I couldn’t find out much about Huber other than a mention, so I do not know what the prototype was. In the 1970s, Dr. Marco Ganser, also of Switzerland, further developed Huber’s idea of common-rail. Ganser was, at the time, a project engineer with Stanadyne Diesel.

Stanadyne Corporation has built diesel injection pumps for many diesel engine manufacturers for years. In 1985, Dr. Ganser started his own company – Ganser-Hydromag – for the purpose of developing his common-rail system. At that time, no one believed he could succeed with this idea. Despite opposition, Ganser continued to further develop the common-rail system and worked with automakers such as Volkswagen, Daimler, Mercedes, General Motors, Isuzu and Yamaha.

In the 1990s, more common-rail systems were being developed using an electronic control unit. The major automaker developing this concept at the time was Fiat, working in conjunction with Magneti-Marelli. Then Fiat got into financial trouble and decided to sell the idea to Bosch, which developed the idea and placed its first common-rail system in a production car in the Alfa-Romeo 156 in 1997."
    Last edited by CDave; 08-11-2018 at 03:17 AM.
    -----------------------
    93 STV Mod VP/MERC 2.5 200
    -----
    The Bible is life's instruction manual.

Proverbs 4:18-20

" For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
    -- John F. Kennedy 1962

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDave View Post
    Fiat didn't invent it. The reason people in the U.S. are weary of Fiat is their history here in the U.S. isn't great. They sold cars in the U.S. when Fiat meant Fix It Again Tony. The days of the Fiat Spyder of the 1960's-1980's. My sister had one, fun cars to drive but electrical problems were frequent; like the same era of British cars.
    It takes time to get rid of a reputation like that.

Wasn't the Cummins NH250 a common rail inj. engine? What about the Detroit Diesel 2 stroke diesels, isn't that a type of common rail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_rail
    "Common rail engines have been used in marine and locomotive applications for some time. The Cooper-Bessemer GN-8 (circa 1942) is an example of a hydraulically operated common rail diesel engine, also known as a modified common rail.

Vickers pioneered the use of common rail injection in submarine engines. Vickers engines with the common rail fuel system were first used in 1916 in the G-class submarines."

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...re-efficiency/
    "During my research on the subject, one amazing thing I discovered was that the concept has been in existence for more than 50 years! The idea was apparently developed by a gentleman named Robert Huber of Switzerland in the 1960s. I couldn’t find out much about Huber other than a mention, so I do not know what the prototype was. In the 1970s, Dr. Marco Ganser, also of Switzerland, further developed Huber’s idea of common-rail. Ganser was, at the time, a project engineer with Stanadyne Diesel.

Stanadyne Corporation has built diesel injection pumps for many diesel engine manufacturers for years. In 1985, Dr. Ganser started his own company – Ganser-Hydromag – for the purpose of developing his common-rail system. At that time, no one believed he could succeed with this idea. Despite opposition, Ganser continued to further develop the common-rail system and worked with automakers such as Volkswagen, Daimler, Mercedes, General Motors, Isuzu and Yamaha.

In the 1990s, more common-rail systems were being developed using an electronic control unit. The major automaker developing this concept at the time was Fiat, working in conjunction with Magneti-Marelli. Then Fiat got into financial trouble and decided to sell the idea to Bosch, which developed the idea and placed its first common-rail system in a production car in the Alfa-Romeo 156 in 1997."
    Sorry, should have said, ”Fiat invented the modern, electronically controlled, common rail diesel engine”

The view that Fiats are junk is pretty much universal.

13. Likes CDave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoker2001 View Post
    BTW,you gonna be bombing around this Friday at BIG Cat run?
    Not going to make that. Hard to believe it’s been a year already. Skater is gone and other boat isn’t done yet.
    Stay safe! That gathering is like riding a motorcycle, you always have to be looking out for the other guy. Even on the Friday before the actual event.
    You know how I feel about boats being to close at speed in the delta!

15. Likes stoker2001 liked this post
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update... it's been a 1.5 years sence I bought this 3.0L ecodiesel and not a single problem. The best fuel milage iv seen is 33mpg... now that is empty truck on the highway with Cruze control set.... 28 average. And 26mpg up and down the back roads and county roads. I fuel up once a month

17. Likes CDave, 89LASER, stoker2001, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill636 View Post
    Update... it's been a 1.5 years sence I bought this 3.0L ecodiesel and not a single problem. The best fuel milage iv seen is 33mpg... now that is empty truck on the highway with Cruze control set.... 28 average. And 26mpg up and down the back roads and county roads. I fuel up once a month
    It has been three years for our JGC with the EcoDiesel. The only challenge has been the whole recall, but $3,200 and extended warranty has made the situation palatable.... looking for recommendations on a new programmer as soon as warranty is done.

Mileage has been 27.8 for the first 75,000 miles... but I set the cruise at 9 mph everywhere. And if needed it will go 140, which shocked me that the computer allowed in a brick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did they do anything to stop the cam gears from spinning?
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerMX View Post
    It has been three years for our JGC with the EcoDiesel. The only challenge has been the whole recall, but $3,200 and extended warranty has made the situation palatable.... looking for recommendations on a new programmer as soon as warranty is done.

Mileage has been 27.8 for the first 75,000 miles... but I set the cruise at 9 mph everywhere. And if needed it will go 140, which shocked me that the computer allowed in a brick.

Be careful with programmers with exhaust filters. Most generate more soot and cause filters to clog.

We had one that trashed a high pressure pump and shelled metal all over. Took a fuel sample to find it was clean, pure diesel. Was still under powertrain warranty. Took it to the pitiful local dealership. They changed the high pressure pump only under warranty (clueless idiots). Died and wouldn’t make pressure on their road test. Called cust and said new pump failed and she had put gas in tank causing the failures and she had to pay for pump and another one. Cust has it towed back to us, found that reason wouldn’t make pressure was stuck injector (from metal in system) pump actually still good. We took fuel sample and sent to lab for legal reasons, which came back as pure diesel. We repaired it properly by replacing complete fuel system and cleaning what was left. Poor cust paid for it all and now I’m legal battle. I know this is more a dealership incompetence, but kinda lame if you ask me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2