Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydrostream V guys, favorite props?

I've been reading and reading on set ups for hydrostream V's on prop selection and most of the info I find is pretty old, not to say that its incorrect but with all sorts of newer props out there and all these cut and modded choppers I started wondering what your favorites are? Favorite doesnt have to mean fastest, although that is a big component for all of us sometimes a little less top performance results in a much more pleasurable driving experience. So far I read lots of positives on small ear choppers for these hulls but I see these lightning ET semi cleaver choppers and Spinneli, Mazco and all sorts of cool customs on the super fast boats so I got to wondering who tried what and what you really liked would make a worthy thread. If you could post pitch and type and what you liked or didnt like about your props that would be awesome!
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my friends 87' Valero v-pad bottom with a 87' GT150, conned with lwp and came with a 28p Raker. I have a jack plate 5.5" set back plus the built in setback giving about 12.5" total. I ran it even or 1/2" above with the raker, chine walked a lot, slipped a lot. Now I'm using an over hub chopper 27p with heavy cupping worked by D.A.H.. I'm 1-1/2" above pad and just pulls like a bull, less trim needed. I get 72mph, could get more once I put solid lower mounts and tighten up the slack in steering.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to props for a padded V hydrostream are usually 25,27,29 SRX props. But on my Viper I have really liked the hoss choppers. Weather a true hoss or a hose cut chopper seem to work really well. Even a non modified chopper works well.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I've been reading and reading on set ups for hydrostream V's on prop selection and most of the info I find is pretty old, not to say that its incorrect but with all sorts of newer props out there and all these cut and modded choppers I started wondering what your favorites are? Favorite doesnt have to mean fastest, although that is a big component for all of us sometimes a little less top performance results in a much more pleasurable driving experience. So far I read lots of positives on small ear choppers for these hulls but I see these lightning ET semi cleaver choppers and Spinneli, Mazco and all sorts of cool customs on the super fast boats so I got to wondering who tried what and what you really liked would make a worthy thread. If you could post pitch and type and what you liked or didnt like about your props that would be awesome!
    A lot depends on what model stream you have and what power and gear case is on it. My v-king I had with a Bridgeport carburated was around 245 hp and loved the 26 big ear chopper and the offshore cut 24 chopper was a blast to drive with its low and mid range punch. I did not like the cleavers I tried. I wanted to try a 32 x 14.5 3 blade cleaver but never had the opportunity. I m sure that would have ran a good top end but other than that not a great choice.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have run SRX before on other boats with OMC power and loved them. I did not even realize Merc guys ran them or they were compatible. Hmmm might have to try that route and see.

My boat is an 18' V pad Valero which according to the registry is the identical hull to the V-King with a more modern cap and slightly larger interior. Looks to me like the rear bench is approx 6" wider and thats it. I can't see a difference between the V-King and the Valero hull by eye either I've checked em side by side and look the same, maybe wrong though? Power is 2.0L Merc with a so far stock lower but I do plan on a Bobs nose stock lower. I was all set to go for a Chopper 28p but was advised thats too much pitch for a 2:1 case especially with a small 135 ( soon to be modded 150XR2 ) but regardless I was thinking about props and behavior and whatnot and really only played with props on three hulls. A 19' Yami 200 J-Craft, a 16' semi pad gt150 knock off V OMC powered, and a turd 21' Arriva I/O I think it was called. The Arriva ended up with a 21p 5 blade Merc prop I cant recall what it was named but it worked decent enough although I would have liked to try more, I simply ran out of time and the boat went. The J we tried a lot of props on and the worst by far was a cleaver, it sucked actually. No hole shot, and little to no top end gains over the 17P aluminum we started with. It wound up with a 17P stainless cupped ski prop that we loved on there but there was a 23 stainless that worked well too, all through hub.

On my OMC the SRX was an instant love affair, it never slips, hole shots like an animal and I can trim that thing to absurdity and it still holds. Ski prop though, this hull doesnt like much speed so I left it as it is for some time now too.

I'd like to try a true chopper, Lightening ET or Spinelli look to be the same design? and now an SRX sure sounds interesing. I see a lot of guys running Yamaha props on Mercs, whats the goto prop in their camp?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surfacing props are not a good choice with your set up as it is. With no low water pick up you cant get the prop hi enough to get the performance they provide. Definitely work on getting the low water pick up and of course a jack plate if you don't have one already to get prop to the surface. Then work on getting a 2.5 200 power head and tuner if you can and you will be all set
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

7. Likes rock liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lower unit is first on the list, then power gains over time. Im not in any rush to do all this but while Im learning im soaking up as much as I can and getting a feel for what works for others so I can narrow down my focus on what parts I should keep an eye open for. Plus I like to shoot the breeze about my hobbies and these days? This is hows its done, over the net. I enjoy reading others opinions and stories on chasing their goals, the wins the losses all of it good to read. Appreciate all the input guys, thanks
    Hydrostream dreamin

9. Likes Hot Shot Merc, Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lower HP motors Hoss Triton are the bestest. A5 choppers after that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of Triton, checked their site, looks real nice!

Any fans of the ET props?
    Hydrostream dreamin

12. Thanks Merc25sshydro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the offshore cut choppers on my Vectors
    18 Action 225 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offshore cut chopper is sort of like an ET cut correct? A cupped chopper with straight cut trailing edge?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a vector and I picked up a 25 pitch 4 blade thru hub no name prop that I had cup added to. I lowered the motor a little for the thru hub and it really settles the hull down with less porposing and nice acceleration. I like it but I also have some small ear choppers that work good to. I think that a 4 blade over hub. some kind of "chopper" would work nice with cup added.
    garybvd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no porpoising at all with this hull. Its slow out of the hole with a fair bit of bow lift but planes out quick, runs smooth and cruises slow if need be with no porpoise. From a slow cruise if I nail it the mid range is pretty solid and where it performs best.

I can already tell Im going to be prop hunting for years. Right now Im looking to buy a slightly damaged through hub 23 pitch Laser2 and I plan on testing my prop mod skills out on it. I have lead and brass hammers already and I have many, many years using hammers and mandrels for other non marine applications. Going to build or buy a pitch gauge and start playing. I dont think I'll go as far as buying prop mandrels but grind/shape/clean up I am certainly going to do. Really what I need is a soild OEM prop that works great first so I have a bar to aim at and then see if I can work a prop or props myself to better the performance. I got a good tip using lipstick to cover the thrust face of the prop blades and run it and whereever lipstick remains after is not biting water so use that as a guide to shape the prop.

I might work out some sort of cupping mandrel too. Getting WAY ahead of this thread now though, thats 5-10 years out
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Yamaha props got you a 26 or 28 and try it .best of both worlds for me.

18. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes Hot Shot Merc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmc6 View Post
    I like the Yamaha props got you a 26 or 28 and try it .best of both worlds for me.
    I have a line on some Yamaha props but I am very unfamiliar with what ones I should be looking for? I was suggested an M2 26pitch by a guy I know whos always trying to sell me something so I was hesitant but if thats a good'r I may just try it.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast