Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obrien View Post
    There won’t be any reason to mess with the throttle body. It is bigger than the engine needs and does not open 100%. The reason for needing a tech with a lap top is due making sure the engine reaches full load. The engine is only going to turn a certain rpm so you want to prop it to reach as close as possible to 100% load. These engines use the same pcm as the catalyst sterndrive engines and also uses a wide band o2 sensor
    The larger throttle body is needed on the 200&225hp V8 as the 250&300hp V8 use a larger one to make more hp. Are you saying the smaller throttle body isn't opening 100% on the 225hp V8? It's the same one used on the 175hp V6

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    300r has short intake runners whatever those are per marketing
    And a different intake cam, both of which make more power at higher rpm's which is why the limiter is raised over the 300hp Pro XS. Basscat is supposed to be doing a test of both outboards as I imagine the 300R is pushing the 10% rule...
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=935367
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=941852

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There won’t be any reason to mess with the throttle body. It is bigger than the engine needs and does not open 100%. The reason for needing a tech with a lap top is due making sure the engine reaches full load. The engine is only going to turn a certain rpm so you want to prop it to reach as close as possible to 100% load. These engines use the same pcm as the catalyst sterndrive engines and also uses a wide band o2 sensor

what does full load mean? No small props? No venting/flashing rpms to 5k outta hole? Is that why only the high end 5 blades work?9
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically the engine is only going to turn its rated rpm. you can run a smaller prop but it wont allow you to rev the engine higher.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But will it sap acceleration?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basically the engine is only going to turn its rated rpm. you can run a smaller prop but it wont allow you to rev the engine higher.
    Meaning it has a "traction control" that doesn't like a lot of slippage?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no traction Controll. I can raise my engine on the jp and it will shoot right up to redline if I give it wot. In the manual there are troubleshooting tips that the dealer can see such as rpm requested vs power given. So if you give it half throttle the CPU might say 3k rpm is requested, the engine might only need to give 30% power. This is how it holds its speed in turns, we are only requesting an rpm from the CPU and the engine does what it needs to get there. Another thing I noticed when running in bigger swells is that when the prop leaves the water at 3/4 throttle it doesn't shoot to redline like the engines before.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not revving to the moon when getting air is good. I'm not digging the speed control thing in the turns. Why couldn't they just keep things simple?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatic View Post
    There is no traction Controll. I can raise my engine on the jp and it will shoot right up to redline if I give it wot. In the manual there are troubleshooting tips that the dealer can see such as rpm requested vs power given. So if you give it half throttle the CPU might say 3k rpm is requested, the engine might only need to give 30% power. This is how it holds its speed in turns, we are only requesting an rpm from the CPU and the engine does what it needs to get there. Another thing I noticed when running in bigger swells is that when the prop leaves the water at 3/4 throttle it doesn't shoot to redline like the engines before.
    Makes sense since these new engines have an electronic throttle body. Call it what you want, but the throttle body is dictating the power made based on the load and the programming decides what to do. You are not completely in control of the throttle anymore like an older cable throttle, same with vehicles that have all gone to fly by wire and you're somewhat at the mercy of the engineer who designed it to operate a certain way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed Simon about a tune and was told I could gain 25hp with and a higher redline. This is with a 300l not pro xs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmatic View Post
    I emailed Simon about a tune and was told I could gain 25hp with and a higher redline. This is with a 300l not pro xs
    The 300 Sea Pro makes 276hp, so it would gain 20hp going to the standard 300hp tune. The standard 300hp has a 200hp lower rev limiter than the 300hp Pro XS, but show to make the same 296hp@5500rpm. Did he say what the limiter was going to be raised to? The 300R makes 316hp and has a 200rpm higher limiter than Pro XS, but it has shorter intake runners and different cam to make more power at a higher rpm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3