Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    some say you can install a ratcheting clutch dog on non ratchet gears via prop shaft and it will become ratcheting i cannot answer that question because i have never done it but it looks like good idea on ratcheting gears there are ramp on each gear and dog on non ratcheting no ramps so if you install dog that ratchets you will have half of the ramps anyway, drive shaft, prop shaft, clutch dog, carrier and pinion gear all interchange
    I assume a C1 would have the same size prop shaft as C4?
    Only the smaller prop shafts were the 70s-80s, xr motors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i guess this is pretty simple or it is for me???? i eliminated almost every question i had on guts issues simply by reading the parts list provided on mercs online parts catalog MIDAS which is long gone in a manor easy to understand i also bought every mercury manual i could find on v6 motors on ebay which had all the selling part numbers on them as far as cases were concerned (which is usless)ITS WHERE MOST PEOPLE DECIDED A 200 CASE WAS DIFFERENT FROM A 150 CASE because it had a different part number it was not, 1997 up they both had 1:87 gears in them and 2:1 which was in the 150 on earlier models only came on 135 if they would have put casting number on parts list it would have been a no brainier so i figured it out on my own. they had at one time put C1,C2 C3,C4 all listed separate on parts break down all you had to do is read u found different numbers now dont get me wrong first 2 /3 years of small bearing gear cases was a bummer same ratio but different part numbers because merc was rebuilding cases as fast as they could manufacture them set up was difficult and shimming changed dramatically from case to case even with same casting number because merc was R and Ding its gears to fit same cases on the public!!!!!!no size change on diameter on any merc v6 case pro shaft for consumer motors only got a little bigger on hipo only after so many complaints of lost $7/800 wheels due to breaking propshafts, bearing size on fat and small sporty cle t/master cases is same one, they only got bigger in prop spine area they still break off just not as much. there are differences between sporty cle and tourqmaster cases like carrier length, prop shaft difference and so on
    Last edited by TEXAS20225; 09-30-2019 at 03:12 PM.

3. Thanks Greg G, nitro_rat thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever, W2F a V-King liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some say you can install a ratcheting clutch dog on non ratchet gears via prop shaft and it will become ratcheting i cannot answer that question because i have never done it but it looks like good idea on ratcheting gears there are ramp on each gear and dog on non ratcheting no ramps so if you install dog that ratchets you will have half of the ramps anyway, drive shaft, prop shaft, clutch dog, carrier and pinion gear all interchange
    Hey TEXAS - If I am putting a 20" inch shaft into a lower unit I just took a 25" out of is there a trick to not having to re-shim and use the fancy alignment tools? Think I could just get away with re-using the existing shims already in the lower unit?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are two things that alter the pinion height the drive shaft machine work and case interior machine work thats the reason there are so many shims in a shim kit from merc they rang from .001 to .040 thousandths. the preload tool that's attached to drive shaft lifts it up its a spring bearing washer, big nut apparatus when installed for the purpose of setting pinion height, the setting is .025 plus /minus 0 but you can get away with a little but not much, i dont know that answer because ive never rebuilt one with out setting pinion ,forward and reverse gear last reverse not so important but it dont take but few minutes if you have all the stuff to check it with its your call

6. Thanks Aaronhl thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With auto differentials the stock pinion shim is always close and usually close enough. The gears are pretty consinlstent it’s the cases that tend to differ. I wonder if the merc lowers are the same kinda deal?
    Hydrostream dreamin

8. Thanks Aaronhl thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question for Texas, i've located a case off a 1992 200XRI, case number is 1647-9147C. Is this case just before the big bearing ratcheting case i'm looking for?

10. Thanks David Borg thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is the big bearing ratcheting case just before was a preload 1647-9147,9147- C,9147-C1 were all big bearing ratchet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a big bearing c1 case with a welded and filled drain plug. So how do I go about changing out the fluid?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is the big bearing ratcheting case just before was a preload 1647-9147,9147- C,9147-C1 were all big bearing ratchet
    Any big disadvantage to no preloaded? Is it worth the $300 he’s asking or keep looking for a C1?
    appreciate your input.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I bought a big bearing c1 case with a welded and filled drain plug. So how do I go about changing out the fluid?
    You need a bearing carrier with a rear drain plug.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its been welded up im wondering why? it will have to be a big prop shaft 11/4 dia, plus big hole reverse gear i never knew a small carrier bearing was made to fit the bigger hole in the hipo carrier unless the plug was stripped out and some other stuff that goes with hippo gear case stuff . im wondering what else has been twerked up ,the c1 case has a drain in it. same as all consumer gear cases close to where skegg meets case i hate it when the riggers get to flash out on a lower unit or anything matter of fact but some of the things ive seen are really amazing also c1 cases are getting hard to find now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there were plenty of fast boats with preload gear case guts which wont intermix with any other type case, drive shaft and pinion is suspect due to its smaller size but ive run some in a pinch and rebuilt a whole bunch of them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed on the last 2 lower units I opened - both 1647-9147-C units they did not have a shim behind(in front of) the forward gear. Only a shim on the driveshaft below the waterpump/ small retainer ring. Two units very small sample size, Should I expect all C units to not have a shim on the forward gear? Seems like they both had fatter shims on driveshaft too, and anything bigger would be more of a spacer...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't even tell you how many lowers from the factory have not even been around the block close to manual specs.

19. Thanks Aaronhl thanked for this post
    Likes TEXAS20225 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    I can't even tell you how many lowers from the factory have not even been around the block close to manual specs.
    Yep, by like twice the clearance … clink - clunk ..

Chaz = tryin, to take the Zen-masters and the book serious .. only to find a three point average of .055 - .065
    And the pin on the dial indicator sliding off the flag , there's so much rotation ..

Like anything else, (might wear quicker) But ... if it'll rattle ~ It'll run …

Too tight, it's gonna tie itself in a knot ….

21. Thanks Aaronhl thanked for this post
    Likes TEXAS20225, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast