Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glassing for dummies

Well I have read through pretty much every single thread in this section just to try to absorb some knowledge, as I plan on doing a full resto this winter on a boat that I recently picked up. Although i feel like I picked up on alot of stuff that I didnt know or was corrected on in some way i still feel like there is so much let unsaid in terms of slang or assumption. So I think there could be a use for a thread such as this to post those tips, tricks, and things that we all should know before getting started like what type of resins to use and why, what kinds of glass to use and why. Basically as the title suggests "glassing for dummies"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glassing refresher welcome indeed
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    West Systems offer great tutorials,will answer all your questions!
    why ask me ?

4. Thanks derpid thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This dude seems sensible and straight forward

Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So much more info on line than anyone could ever write here. Most mfg's and sales outlets have a tutorial program that covers their products and how to use them. West Systems is a good one for epoxy. You could start with fiberglass basics as a search and as you learn go to more and more specific areas of the industry. FE... I knew nothing of infusion of resin related to boat building. So, I did research on it and now know what products are used, tools/equipment are needed and the complete process. It is a process of building product knowledge, and application procedures that is the basis for glassing. A few guys here have been in the biz for 20+ yrs and i'm sure they are all willing to admit they are still learning....

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt life provides lessons every single day and the best of us learn the most thats why they are the best. I used to do a lot of paint work and it took years to really figure out what was the best products to use and when/where to apply them. Then they changed everything to water base and now I dont know squat about paint products anymore. With glass work im always concerned about what to use where and flash times etc. Its easy to go out and buy a complete system but its hard to buy what you need when you need and not make errors in that process. I have very little glass mat experience and Im looking to learn so thanks for the tips.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have any particular questions regarding a project, just post on here and you will get info. Myself or one of the other glass guys will help. Just post pics showing what your concerns are with the boat. A lot of the answers will be dependent on the type of boat and what it was built out of originally, and how badly it has been damaged or degraded. I started out as a paint and body man in my teens in vocational school. So I know exactly what you mean with the paint products changing. But the basics remain the same, and prep is still the foundation of the job. Same holds true with a glass project.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

9. Thanks LakeFever, derpid thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to know XstreamVking I will be sure to post my build when I get there and I will apologize in advance for the many questions im sure I will have. just to feed your curiosity the boat is an 83 Larson wildfire I purchased to get through summer after my etec failed on my spyder. Its nothing fancy and I consider it basically a baja knock off but I like the shape of it and it is a good sized boat for my first full resto, not to big, not to small and will fit in the garage with ease. Plus ive always liked these 80's lo profile ski boats.

I will have to check out the west systems page Stokernick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.fibreglast.com/

Is a great place for supplies and Gel Coat when you get around to that.......They also have a monthly 20% off discount for a couple days. Sigh up for their email and order in bulk with the 20% off.

Karsten

12. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a little late here but I have something to add.

I just did my transom and deck and am no expert but this is what I have to add as a layman who just did this job.

1. I wish I had used pre mixed structural putty instead of mixing it myself. I found it pretty difficult to get the right consistency and that I needed a ton of expensive cabosil to do it. The structural putty at about $55/gallon turned out cheaper but mostly was just easier to use and also gave better results.

2. Rehearse any bonding operation, I didn't do that and wound up loosing a bunch of time when I stripped my all thread. Also the 2x4's I was using to spread the load were just too flexible. I should have fully clamped it down dry first and I would have been able to see that.

3. Your going to waste allot of resin if this is the first big job you've done. I think I wasted about 30 - 40%.

4. Try a test layup first that is big enough to simulate what your doing say 2' x 2'. I went strait into glassing the underside of my deck and ended up with a dry layup on my first piece.

14. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to thinking how I got information when I began rebuilding my first boat. I ordered my supplies from Mertons Fiberglass.
    http://www.mertons.com/index.html
    I asked the person on the phone a question and received a detailed and informed answer. I have been ordering from them (him) ever since. Turns out he is Joe Merton. I have asked a ton of questions when ordering and he has always given me great advise. Joe always answers the phone. I assume it may be a one man shop. You may spend a dollar or so more for a gallon of resin but he always ships immediately, asks if he can fold the material to save shipping, and always has advise free for the asking.
    Of course there are many professionals and highly experienced hobbyists here with a wealth of information. Generally the info is good, if it is bad, wait for 10 minutes and let the s#!tstorm wash away the misinformation.
    Last edited by oldskier; 08-09-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

16. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Far fewer S#@^% storm than we used to have. HA,HA. But the clouds are always on the horizon if bad info is given....I remember you getting slammed by a few nay sayers. I didn't like it. Just because a guy does it his way, doesn't make it wrong. I'm glad you stuck around and are still doing it your way. And I agree, mertons has a real good rep for giving great advice.

Rebuild thread:
    Videos

18. Thanks oldskier thanked for this post
    Likes oldskier, VooDooChild 1267, LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tip that was given to me by XtremeVking when i did my first ever transome/stringer repair was to soak the cloth (1708 biaxial) outside the boat.The first couple pieces i did prior to that tip rendered me dry cloth in some spots cause it was not penitrating while trying to work the piece and it was frustrating trying to wet it while molding dry pieces.So i took his advice and started from scratch wetting both sides on a ply board then apply and work it into shape.At that point the repair became fun,easy to work the pieces especially in difficult areas....and came out STRONG.Nothing betting then the feeling you get when your out hammering your boat in the slop knowing the boat will take it cause of the work you put unto it.Since doing that repair and now having basic knowledge passed on to me i have taken on a few more repairs that have come out sweet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread for tips. Many I didnt know.

Funny re the **** storm being smaller. Forums by and large and not as busy as they were but its not bad really because it seems a lot of the screaming whining goof balls aiming everyone wrong have moved on to where they are most appreciated. I think you all know what I mean. Lucky us
    Hydrostream dreamin