Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Denis Berghauer has passed .....

I am truly sorry to report that 'The Big B', Denis Berghauer died yesterday. It will probably be another day or two before service details are announced.

I had the opportunity to work and play with Denis while I was with Mercury. He was a delightful character, lots of fun to be around. We met in about 1967 at the Milwaukee/Chicago race where he was running twin OMC's on a V bottom, a Souter Shead I think. Merc decided they wanted him on their team and made an offer, he raced for them for years. Winning the Parker 9 Hour in 1973 driving with his brother Dewey was probably his biggest success. One of his favorite memories was teaming with Don Pruett for the 1970 Paris and Berlin 6 Hour events.

A very loyal man, if he decided you were his friend, there is nothing he wouldn't do to help you ..... a genuine "give you the shirt off of his back" kinda guy. One time at Parker when we were trying to perform a quick powerhead change. As we were unbolting the damaged unit, we were getting the hoist in the parts truck out to lift it off. Denis knew we were in a hurry, walked over and said let me do this. He wrapped his arms around that powerhead and lifted off, then grabbed the replacement and put it on the housing. It wasn't even his boat we were working on! After that we referred to him as 'our portable hoist'.

He loved his family, loved his friends and loved his boat racing ..... we will miss that man.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winning Parker 1973 - Berghauer.jpg 
Views:	1086 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	413017

Name:	The Berghauers - Parker.jpg 
Views:	820 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	413018
    Last edited by willabee; 07-19-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    May he rest in peace.
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shunk, Hetz and I went to see him the last two Sunday’s. He was doing okay. Arranged for Last Rights last Monday. He drove to his sisters 80th Birthday party on Sunday. Couldn’t believe it. Yesterday he deteriorated during the day. Going to miss his advice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It occurs to me that the giants of boat racing are slowly disappearing. The people that made OPC racing the success that was, are passing through our lives, into memories. Life does go on, true...but the people that made OPC racing as fun as it was, can never be replaced.
    Dennis was one of these people. His heart and enthusiastic joy of life, was larger than himself....and he and Dewey were big men.
    You knew that it was going to be a great time, when you saw the "B" brothers in the pit area. Big time boat racers...yes. Among some of the best...yes. They both were serious drivers, that knew how to win. But they never lost sight of the fun factor in it all.
    Dennis was very kind to me after an accident in Ottawa Canada. He had no reason to help me, other than it was the right thing to do, so he did it. I'll never forget that. That's just what the Berghauer's did...and still do.
    Dennis...once again...thank you for your help, and kindness. You are remembered by so many.

5. Thanks willabee, BK thanked for this post
    Likes willabee, North Island, mbd29 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the outside looking in have seen many racers pass.. I will not name names ....but set em high and trim em out....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dee sent me these Tuesday night with other old B.S.O.A club photos. These all came as one pdf

Name:	Denis.kieths.dee.pdf 
Views:	211 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	413060

top Denis B and Mike Helm
    middle Keith stippich
    bottom Dee B

8. Likes T2x liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berghauer, Denis July 18, 2018 Age 78 years. Beloved husband of Maria. Further survived by sons, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, brothers, sisters, other family and friends. Mass of Christian Burial will be held Saturday July 28 at 11:00 AM at St. Mary's Visitation Catholic Parish 1260 Church St. Elm Grove. Visitation Saturday at the church 9:00 AM until 10:45. Interment St. Mary's Cemetery.