Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chrysler racing 150

I learned something the other day from my dad. The racing 150 Chrysler ran four carbs vs the two on a 140. For the factory race effort, when they set the record for single and twin outboard they ran fuel injection on the 150.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poky, Not sure if the Chrysler factory effort had a "formal" 4-carb setup, but a few were made by using two sets of 3-carb manifolds. Here's some pictures of one I had several years ago. Note the welding on the intake and the two 3-carb manifolds with a top cut off and a bottom cut off. Never got to finish this motor before selling the whole load. The 150 had a very hi compression head as well and some huge ports!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-4CarbSideView750.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	410067

Name:	4-CarbLfSide750.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	410068

Name:	150IntakePorts700.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	410069

3. Thanks powerabout, Bob V, gmjim thanked for this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Correct, the 4 carb and fuelie motors were not factory produced or factory options, they were the work of privateers

The 150 was a 2 carb motor

5. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad was chief engineer at Chrysler marine, granted, he's old, but he seemed to think the factory race boats all ran 4 carbs. I had asked him why the 140 ran just two carbs. he made it sound like the R&D guys had 4 carb manifolds and injection. I don't get him to talk about the old days every often. Sounds like they had a lot of fun messing with the Mercury and OMC guys back in the day.

7. Thanks Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those transfers and scallops weren't factory. That head as well. If that's a small bore 150 which they all are, that head is a 105 or certain year 115. Blue print diagrams I posted on the racing thread.
    Some factory guys did build four carb r&d set ups in the 70s. Talked to one a few years back who was right in the basement skunkworks, claimed the TC four carb to be a top end screamer, most built four carbs are smaller triple carb WB as shown above
    They did offer the 150 into 1976 with 195psi for all years.
    Poky your Dad was right in there in that time , If I remember you saying that?

9. Likes Mark75H, gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But FI, Algon? Just mentioned that the other day with another member from TX.
    Those transfers/ scallops above, a member from FL mentioned those a while back, worked well he said, can't remember his name.
    Bill does his transfers like that, not sure he scallops.
    Might still try that on an F5

Gary Ferguson Mechanical FI
    Last edited by FMP; 06-24-2018 at 10:05 PM.

11. Likes gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad is Jerry Pok, he work at West Bend Marine, and then moved over to Chrysler Marine, I'm not sure when he started, but he got out around 79 ish when it started to end. I know he said the 150's shook the walls of the dyno room when they where doing testing. he talk about the V6 too. he was real proud of that engine, too bad they killed it

13. Thanks FMP, Mark75H, Instigator thanked for this post
    Likes FMP, Mark75H, gmjim, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poky View Post
    My dad is Jerry Pok, he work at West Bend Marine, and then moved over to Chrysler Marine, I'm not sure when he started, but he got out around 79 ish when it started to end. I know he said the 150's shook the walls of the dyno room when they where doing testing. he talk about the V6 too. he was real proud of that engine, too bad they killed it
    My dad ran against the a good number of the Chrysler and Force racers in Mod 100 and Formula 100 classes. Most of the Chryslers were from Minnesota and the Force guys were from Texas. The only one I remember that had a good running 4 carb was Randy Pierson from MN. I remember the Texas force guys telling me the 4 carb they has wasn't as fast as the 2 carb motors they were running.
    I have a 4 carb motor built by Joe Michellini, but I haven't run it yet.

15. Thanks Instigator, gmjim thanked for this post
    Likes gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poky View Post
    Would be great to hear all about the V-6 development. Year prototyping started, horsepower(s), Mercury V-6 comparability, quantity produced, displacement, etc. thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told first example was at the dealer show Nov 77. Development must have been a minimum year earlier. All loopers, first were vertical reeds as show in the Hartford museum pics. Last example were horizontal with 220+ hp, going by memory from what was told.
    One summer on I believe Fox lake , maybe 78/79 a later example was running very strong. Witnessed by an OMC guy , same person who said Nov 77 for the show. Claims that motor beat up on a lot of Merc and OMC , to the extent that he wasn't sure if anyone was faster and was truly surprised by its performance. He claimed Baker was testing it as well.
    A couple more examples are still around in addition to the Hartford piece.
    Speculation is Chrysler built a straight five but abandoned the common chest and 72* pin spacing not getting into the manifold needed for proper pairing that Force later developed with the F5 and then Chrysler started the V6 program.

Randy was in the R&D said the four carb TC version was the runner in the 4 cylinder. But these weren't stackers , inline chest to tuner so four carbs enable more exact cylinder carb jetting since ex pairing lengths differ as does scavenging lengths. Stackers having 180* pin spacing on the sharing pairs for each stack have equal scavenging time and lengths resulting in the single TC carb per pair with jetting that satisfies. Build a TC four carb front as Randy mentioned and outflow the WB four carb just as a two carb setup does between the 105 some years 115 and 135/140/150. Top end breathing

He was also working on the powerflow lu with prop exhaust, Force later in 92+ used a dual exhaust with snout and prop powerflow on the F5 from the original snout ex. But they moved the water intakes pickups from side bullet inline with propshaft to above the gears traditional placement.

I remember the guys at the local Chrysler dealer having a big smile when the V6 abilities came to talk. Finally they said, proudly. At least one of those V6 runners made the dealer circuit for limited time, select dealers. The other situation may be the V6 was sent here Ontario to the Barrie production plant for reasons of future assembly and it was simply shared among a few dealers here during its way. I'm certain it would have received a workout. Heck who wouldn't rig it to a Conqueror or center console 20' or other CHRYSLER boat made in Barrie Ontario for a trial on Simcoe or L Ontario or GBay!

It's possible they went outside for additional help, possibly U of W or elsewhere and couple of knowledged individuals know to excel in outboard development helped the program.

It would be something if someone had home footage of it running.
    Last edited by FMP; 06-26-2018 at 12:16 PM.

18. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H, gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just remember him talking that they took the best from the Mercury and the OMC. I'll see what else I can get out of him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked with my dad over the weekend, First dyno pulls on the V6, made 175 hp. it was designed with 200 hp as the goal. I didn't get how far they got toward their goal. there where three sand cast engines made, one was for dyno work only. He said there might of been enough parts to build more. but as far as the project went, there was only three V6 engines made.

21. Likes gmjim liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good stuff, two accounted for , three is MIA or hidden, maybe a forth also in parts. When the factory was closed up , a bunch of parts were taken to put the Museum piece in display shape, so I was told. Maybe that is the dyno mule, lots of paint scratches on some places, lower cowl etc.
    Last edited by FMP; 06-26-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all this time, he was still excited about it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cannot get this stuff out of your system, it's in your blood.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast