Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Good Mechanic in Sacramento Area for Mercury Promax 300 on Bass Boat

Title says it all. Thanks in advance.

* Moderators, if I posted this in the wrong place, please move the post to the proper place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might try SOS marine in Granite Bay.ask for Jeff.tell him Kev Kraft sent you.another guy in Rio linda is Jim Chambers,cant remember name of shop..another option,but long drive is boatmasters in Livermore
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. I'm in El Dorado Hills, so Granite Bay would be awesome. I looked at the SOS website, but it doesn't show much, especially in the way of bass boats, but maybe that doesn't necessarily matter. How well do you know Jeff and his abilities? Have you had work done by him? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Basnova; 06-14-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he has been playing with Mercs longer then me and I am old as the hills.get estimate from sos,they are probably swamped
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

5. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Kev, I called and spoke to Jeff, and told him you referred me to him. I asked if he thought he could work on my ProMax 300 and he said, "I KNOW I can!", which sounds promising. When I asked when I can come in, he said they're booked out to August 4, but he's squeezing me in tomorrow. I think you're referral got me in, so thanks so much for that. Now I'm hoping my issue isn't too serious, and he can get things sorted out.

Thanks again,
    Kelvin

7. Likes NICE PAIR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Basnova View Post
    OK, Kev, I called and spoke to Jeff, and told him you referred me to him. I asked if he thought he could work on my ProMax 300 and he said, "I KNOW I can!", which sounds promising. When I asked when I can come in, he said they're booked out to August 4, but he's squeezing me in tomorrow. I think you're referral got me in, so thanks so much for that. Now I'm hoping my issue isn't too serious, and he can get things sorted out.

Thanks again,
    Kelvin
    2nd for Boatmasters. I haven't live out there in 10 years, but they are a great shop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd post an update. Turns out my Sportmaster lower end was blown. Not blown through, but gears were all chewed up. Jeff did a complete rebuild. Seemed like it took forever, as I just got it back today, two months after leaving the lower end with Jeff. Jeff said the reason it took so long was because getting all the parts from Mercury Racing can be a chore, especially when something needs to be special-ordered.

Kev, you might get a kick out of this next part. When he put the lower end on, Jeff asked if I wanted to test it in a tub or run it on the lake. I opted for the lake for real-life testing, so we took it a mile down the road to Lake Folsom.

Just before we launched it, Jeff asked if I wanted him to test it by himself, or if I wanted to go, too. Of course, I wanted to go. OH MY GOD! The man is a MONSTER behind the wheel. I have never gone that fast in my boat, EVER! Before I took it to him, I had completely emptied it of everything, so I only had the bare legal requirements of life jackets and fire extinguisher, and my trolling motor in case we needed it, so we were running light, and didn't have my GPS hooked up. I'm pretty sure we were blasting on top of this morning's chop at, at least, 85mph! I know dash gauges aren't completely accurate, but last I saw, before white-knuckling anything I could get a hold of, was the speedo needle blowing past 75mph, and the tach climbing past 5800rpm. Although my boat is a 20'1" Viper Coral fish-n-ski that was custom made from the ground up to specifically accommodate a Promax 300/Sportmaster rig, and Jeff appeared to have everything dialed in for that speed, you better believe I was praying for my life!

When Jeff saw me ****ting bricks, he backed it down, and with a smile said if I wasn't in the boat he would have gone faster, and then he dropped the hammer again! You know that saying about how it's not the rig that's fast, it's the driver? Well, if i didn't believe it before, you better believe that I wholeheartedly believe it now!

Apparently, he also trusts his own work with his life!
    Last edited by Basnova; 08-30-2018 at 02:10 AM.

10. Likes stoker2001 liked this post