User Tag List

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Much the same here..started out with a 1955 7.5 evinrude my grandfather gave me. I spent my summers from the age of 6 to 15 on the AuSable. Wore the rod "bearings" out of it the first summer. So I was 7 when I did my first rebuild. Moved on to a white 20 merc soon after that but anyway..

some years ago a boy scout leader had a bunch of kids up from southern ohio or indiana camping for two weeks on Cooke Pond. He had a 10 and an 18 that wouldn't run two really nice wooden boats from the 50's. Nobody would give him the time of day in town. They needed coils, points,,impellers. One I had running later that afternoon, i had let them use my old 20 merc to get to the campsite. Loaded the one in my HST.and took it up the river to them and the other the next day after the head gasket or whatever I needed came in and did the same. For several years they sent me cards and pictures of all the places they took kids with them. Anyhoo..
    Last edited by Capt.Insane-o; 01-17-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMC 1967 X115 lefty shifter.....2 drive shafts........7 gears.......cost Mr K ? how much $$ BP gear case...11 gears L/R shifter. Just history......Both were/are cool designs......OMC Cobra......same as # 2 Merc drive from....1964....only had rear gear to drive the H2o pump......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    ......OMC Cobra......same as # 2 Merc drive from....1964....only had rear gear to drive the H2o pump......
    well yah...most of the patents finally expired...so they gave it another failure, I mean try, ... More big dollars wasted. Two different size drives as well...the small block version AND the King Cobra... I really don't think OMC studied the proposed market they were considering at all, before they jumped into a new project. Boggles the mind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Johnson/Evinrude/OMC finally lost Lawn-Boy mowers market & sold out to Toro in the early 1990's...Once again, this didn't help things...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my wife...... she can't pull it......Beer can in the blade......

6. Likes InjectorService, bearclaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMC cobra drive........same lay out as bravo....shift on top..... lower w/ 2 gears..... same as #2..... Just merc did it better.......on bravo... cone shifts......Most big SSMs have trans in boat no shift down below......same as some 2 prop jap motors.......shift above the lower gear case. In my back WOODs......I have a snow boy..... OMC 2 stroke snow blower...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    My first 4 outboards were OMC. The law in Michigan was if it was 6 hp or less then anyone any age was legal to operate it. So when I was 5 my dad bought a 10 foot john boat with a 4 hp evinrude-It had the duel mixture screws on the front of the cowl plate "you had to turn the motor 180 on on the clamp if wanted to reverse-the throttle was on the side of the motor (not a rotate grip) " and I was addicted to the freedom--This gave young kids the real feel of what the boat would do. If your intent was to go backwards, you were going left or right first "no option"-the 4 hp merc. was the same way (another friend had the merc.).

Then I had a friend with a 6 hp evinrude "not only faster but it was shift-able" and just a much nicer piece overall. So at the end of summer my dad picked up a 6 for me (it was sooo much better) and I could run right next my friend instead of the constant trailing position that I had become used to (life was good). I ran that for what seemed like a couple of weeks and my dad came home all excited with a 9.9 that looked identical to the 6 (I remember us sitting at the dining room table with a hair dryer putting the new 6 hp decals on the 9.9 cowl) we mounted the motor on my little john boat (I think I was 7 at this time) and my dad had me run by the front of our house what seemed like a hundred times and would waive me in for adjustments he was moving the stop pin in the clamp "adjusting the trim angle" for me with my anchor all the way in the front compartment (I remember this like it was yesterday-43 years later) he kept asking me if it was wide open? did I feel okay? and did I feel safe? my answers were all yes and they were all lies. He says "now go out and see if Andy has anything for you". I ran down the lake about a mile and circled in front of buddys house for about 30 seconds before he came out and jumped in his boat as we did every day if the weather was above 40 degrees and I was suddenly six feet tall as I drove off on him BAD "I can remember being afraid to hold it wide open and having the same light sketchy feeling that I still love today"-- all of the times of him drilling my little 4 horse and bad memories of me having to run in his wake until was almost of out of sight were gone.

Killer memories that we now have the chance to create for young kids--take a kid for a ride anytime you can. You don't need to hang it out and put anyone at risk "a 60 mph pass will last a lifetime and you will be someones hero".

Joe
    Yep great memories that's what we live for... all were really great for me on the water with my dad and brother and then with my kids, almost always with somethin omc powered. My daughter helped me gather the goods to build up a the 15in tiller rope 50hp I always wanted so when it was done and she was down visiting I said lets take the jon boat out and she said naa lets go on the big boat. Well I won and we had a blast, let her drive it and she was hooked with a grin from ear to ear. Maybe i'm old but new fugly 4blows have nothin on those motors..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5684.jpg   20181002_123032.jpg  

9. Likes InjectorService liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not forget the OMC snowmobile, a kid in my hood had one, he took a lot of s-it form us cool kids who were riding snow twisters, blizzards and cats. But I bet he pulled each and every one of us home at one time or another, and about the same speed he could go with out one of us in tow. So we would let him ride with us, even if we had to circle back to find him, Like havin a tow truck with you
    1994 Brad Collins Mirage Jag.with 1990 2.4 BP E.F.I Offshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1969..... I had a 13 foot Desilva.... with a Merc 450.....Broke down..... My buddy had 10 foot sumthing with a 15 hp rude......towed me back...... on a plane......YA

12. Likes 99fxst99 liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was a long time dealer by me that had a military motor. On of many that they built.
    It wasn’t all **** like some would say.

Anyhow, it was like the old 3’s n 4’s that rotated 360* for steering n reverse.
    Was an old opposed 4 as I recalled.
    The strange thing about was it had a huge steering wheel mounted to top of cowling.

Dealer told me they mounted in motor wells in center of rescue/attack boats and would steer it from the wheel on top of it.

The old 2 and 4 opposed race motors were some of the first factory race motors, way before the Mercs.
    They were fast too!
    I ran a race against the 4’s w/a B Stock runabout w/a Yamato 80 (20SS) w/a sliding expansion chamber and it was fast.
    They had an ancient Desilva that had to weigh a 1000lbs.
    I remember seeing it in the pits the night before and thinking it was a slick antique.

I had to be 100lbs lighter.
    I had to drove my ass off to beat them!
    Never forget that old, ancient motor.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...OMC, beginning in the late 70's, and continuing through the 1980's, grossly over spent on their outboard motors/marine division development and marketing new engine & boat product,(think: multiple V-8 & V-6 engine designs & Race Programs, OMC Boat Company's, etc.) with different economy's affecting profitability. They needed cash. They found it by selling off multiple lucrative company's they owned. One such companies was Cushman Industrial Vehicles Co., which they bought in 1957. They sold it for $150,000,000. cash to Textron Corporation in 1989. In 1989, Cushman had $90,000,000. in annual sales. They sold Lawn-Boy soon after as well...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 01-17-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flashback

Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    My first 4 outboards were OMC. The law in Michigan was if it was 6 hp or less then anyone any age was legal to operate it. So when I was 5 my dad bought a 10 foot john boat with a 4 hp evinrude-It had the duel mixture screws on the front of the cowl plate "you had to turn the motor 180 on on the clamp if wanted to reverse-the throttle was on the side of the motor (not a rotate grip) " and I was addicted to the freedom--This gave young kids the real feel of what the boat would do. If your intent was to go backwards, you were going left or right first "no option"-the 4 hp merc. was the same way (another friend had the merc.).

Then I had a friend with a 6 hp evinrude "not only faster but it was shift-able" and just a much nicer piece overall. So at the end of summer my dad picked up a 6 for me (it was sooo much better) and I could run right next my friend instead of the constant trailing position that I had become used to (life was good). I ran that for what seemed like a couple of weeks and my dad came home all excited with a 9.9 that looked identical to the 6 (I remember us sitting at the dining room table with a hair dryer putting the new 6 hp decals on the 9.9 cowl) we mounted the motor on my little john boat (I think I was 7 at this time) and my dad had me run by the front of our house what seemed like a hundred times and would waive me in for adjustments he was moving the stop pin in the clamp "adjusting the trim angle" for me with my anchor all the way in the front compartment (I remember this like it was yesterday-43 years later) he kept asking me if it was wide open? did I feel okay? and did I feel safe? my answers were all yes and they were all lies. He says "now go out and see if Andy has anything for you". I ran down the lake about a mile and circled in front of buddys house for about 30 seconds before he came out and jumped in his boat as we did every day if the weather was above 40 degrees and I was suddenly six feet tall as I drove off on him BAD "I can remember being afraid to hold it wide open and having the same light sketchy feeling that I still love today"-- all of the times of him drilling my little 4 horse and bad memories of me having to run in his wake until was almost of out of sight were gone.

Killer memories that we now have the chance to create for young kids--take a kid for a ride anytime you can. You don't need to hang it out and put anyone at risk "a 60 mph pass will last a lifetime and you will be someones hero".

Joe
    Joe, I think you lived my parallel childhood. I got my first boat, a 12' Traveler john boat for Christmas 1966 at the ripe old age of 10. Rowed it most of the next year, except when I could talk one of Dad's friends into lending me a motor. First a 3hp Sears Ted Williams, then a 7hp Eska. The Eska was not any faster, but it had a neutral clutch to allow me to start it next to the pier. My dream motor however was the 6hp Evinrude. I spent hours at the local Evinrude dealer studying the engines. Remember when the dealer stocked engines on stands in the showroom awaiting a boat to be installed on? Christmas 1967 I got a brand new 1968 6hp Evinrude Fisherman. Twist grip throttle, remote tank, and full gearshift. I had arrived. Dec 26th the boat went in the water with the new motor. I was a bit apprehensive the first time I opened it up (after the 2 hr break-in), but I sucked it up and let her go. Fastest I had ever been! Or felt like it anyhow. I proceeded to have more fun than can be described in that boat. Broke ice to go boating in the winter. Snuck out past my limits to jump wakes in the river. Several other boys in the neighborhood had boats similar in speed and capabilities, and we were the s**t!

OK, fast forward to this summer. I had located a 12' jon boat and a 1969 6hp Evinrude. My 12yr old son is now boating on the same creeks and river as I did 50yrs ago. Although he does not have the boating obsession I did at that age (thanks, video screens...) he is very capable and loves his time on the water. He can operate our deck boat proficiently and is looking towards the day he can run the Rally Sport. Nothing gives a child the feeling of being in charge like being on the water in command of his own boat. it gives authority and responsibility. And its great fun for Dad to watch his boy(s) progress on the water. Attached are pictures of my son in his boat, and running with a friend. It is said that time spent on the water is not deducted from your lifetime, we are testing that theory!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4749.jpg   IMG_4740.jpg   IMG_4413.jpg   IMG_4421.jpg  
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

19. Likes Capt.Insane-o, bearclaw, tnelsmn liked this post
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast