Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now That Merc Has Killed 2-Strokes...

... you have to wonder if the EPA will come after our old ones. If so, I'm ready!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3469.JPG  
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

2. Likes noli, 89LASER, Bodhi, pkstv, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think all existing motors should be safe, “grandfathered in” if you will. What will get expensive is 2 stroke oil eventually as demand dies down. Of course the “racing” oils will stick around. They’ll have to be special ordered. Us deplorables will just go back to mixing regular motor oil to keep our heaps smokin’!!!
    Josh Peterson

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro_rat View Post
    I think all existing motors should be safe, “grandfathered in” if you will. What will get expensive is 2 stroke oil eventually as demand dies down. Of course the “racing” oils will stick around. They’ll have to be special ordered. Us deplorables will just go back to mixing regular motor oil to keep our heaps smokin’!!!
    easy on all that foreward thinking, there are a lot of other users of 2 stroke oil, lawncare, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, and etc. I once was at a gas station in Menphis Tenn. down the street from Graceland and a kid comes wheeling in on a yammi 360 enduro (remember them?) and bought gas and took out a bottle of Castrol and dumped in a gulp and fired it up and away he went smoking along. fun out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

5. Likes Aa Hayes, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, but jet skis, dirt bikes, weed whackers, and even chain saws are going 4 stroke. In 10 years, not only will the gas cans not work, but you won’t find 2 stroke oil everywhere either!!!
    Josh Peterson

7. Likes KIRCHNER liked this post
    #2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in 10 yrs i'm just going to be worried about where the closest buffet is.
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I do not think the EPA will do anything to threaten our older two-stroke engines, but it's the local governments that will continue to restrict their use more and more . I think that emissions-compliant outboards will also continue to become lighter and more powerful. They've certainly come a very long way in the last 15 years alone. But I'll always hold on to my 'old school' outboards.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    I do not think the EPA will do anything to threaten our older two-stroke engines, but it's the local governments that will continue to restrict their use more and more . I think that emissions-compliant outboards will also continue to become lighter and more powerful. They've certainly come a very long way in the last 15 years alone. But I'll always hold on to my 'old school' outboards.
    Agree fully there are 10 times ++ as many two stroke outboards out there compared to 4 strokes as there are decades of production for the 4 strokes to catch up to. Granted there lower HP motors but still anyone with a fishing tin boat and old fishing boats have old two strokes still running strong around hear anyway. It would kill the fishing and boating recreation market if they banned two strokes way to much money on fishing licences ect to do that. Pluss the newer 4 strokes are for the wealthy as no one wants to spend that kinda money an a heavy behemoth outboard to go slower no mater what the fuel savings! 2 stroke technology is getting better and will be back unless they can make a 4 stroke WAY lighter and less expensive. Guys like Caldwell have the right idea. sub 400lb 400hp. When a 4 stroke can achieve that in the outboard world then they will have my attention. Its all about power to weight no mater what anyone says. I would love to see what the difference in speed is between 400hp 2 stroke vs 400 hp four stroke on these new lighter 32 skaters being built. That would be so cool to compare. Both propped accordingly. Even with the higher torque of the 4 stroke a smaller pitch prop and high rpm of the 2 stroke compensates pretty good for that.
    Last edited by whipper; 05-29-2018 at 04:11 AM.

11. Likes bmax, Glasstream15, CI STV liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our gov will only choose a fight they can win. They took lead out of our gasoline because they knew they could win but you didn`t see them try to take lead out of airplane Ave gas did you. Nope! To many rich people up there with very deep pockets to fight.

13. Likes Michael J Giesler, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see commie states like CA going after two strokes with emissions testing, but I was just messing around with that meme. Maybe they'll figure out a way to get the weights down so old Allison lovers like me won't have to put sails on them after the two stroke parts market dries up. I would think that would take a long time.
    Present Allisons: GT20/200 XRi (stringers up restoration by Jack Barsh), XST18/150XS/115 ADI clone (full composite restoration by Kevin Bryant), R13 (Larry Register splash)/850XS
    Past Allisons: SS20/ 225 Pro Max, SS20/200 Merc, XR2002 2.5 260SS Merc, XTB21/225 Merc (hull #1), R15/60 JohnRude, EP15/60 YamaMariner

15. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whipper , good points. Not sure what it's like by you but over here it's 95% four stroke, all HP models. Very few new two being sold, mostly Yamaha with Merc second. When we see a new Etec we know it's from out of area. A few commercial guys are using Etec and they are said to be excellent. With every spring fewer two are around for general boating. The few hipo two that remain are a small market segment , performance oriented with some diehards that keep them running. All the new Etecs are great, just don't see the local on the water marinas with the brand and by now everyone is just fine with not checking oil for mix no matter how easy it has become. A whole generation of young boaters have no idea about mixing and how easy and user friendly the new ones are. The only thing they know is the talk from old folks about what a pain it was to always mix, even with high reserve auto mixing.
    Last edited by FMP; 05-29-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In my area it’s still mostly older bass boats and aluminum boats with 2 strokes. Ther 4 strokes are starting to show up mostly on the small aluminum rigs. On a tournament weekend I guess there are some of the big 4 strokes on the out of town rigs. I don’t see this changing any time soon around here!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest, I was pretty pessimistic about OB 4 strokes, but I think Merc might have something here with the new fairly light 4.6L V8's. If they prove to be reliable and aren't much more than the old 300XS, I think they will have convinced me there is a real future after 2 strokes.

19. Likes Glasstream15, WavetoWave liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that a company like CRT is building for our lightweight go fast community and I wish more would jump on that bandwagon. I think there are enough go fasts and bass boats out there for a market to succeed, but I think I speak for a large percentage here by saying those prices are completely insane
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

21. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If CRT is ever going to provide a product in a meaningful volume at a reasonable cost they will tool up for a casting. Billet blocks are cool but with the cost of a chunk of aluminum that big I don’t care how many they make, it will never be affordable!

Until I see a casting, I cannot believe that CRT is going to make any measureable impact in the industry. JMO.
    Josh Peterson

23. Likes olboatman, mach351, Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Once they figure out how to stop propshafts from breaking and losing $1200.00 props they might have something !
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

25. Likes Kcraft liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast