Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to take things off course but, the 2 stroke YZ are popular for their cost of ownership and simple maintenance. There are other benefits but that's the big reason. I applaud Yamaha for not sending these to history books.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kah68 View Post
    Not to take things off course but, the 2 stroke YZ are popular for their cost of ownership and simple maintenance. There are other benefits but that's the big reason. I applaud Yamaha for not sending these to history books.
    I agree 100% I was a hardcore 2 stroke fan when it comes to off road toys.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    big 2T fan here myself, when i found out Kawasaki was gonna kill the big bad KX 500 i went and bought 2, ride one occasionally and have the other sitting in a game room as a conversation piece, its never had fuel in it, i refuse to ride a damm thumper. I tried a honda 450x and it was 4x the hassle my 2T's are, and not as fast, that big KX will suck the stickers off those thumps when i go by. Like 68 said, Yamaha is killin it with that YZ, everybody here in Texas is buying them, putting the big bore kit, flywheel weight, and OMG what a woods bike, and way cheaper and less maintanence. Our local dealer buy's like 5 at a time and cant keep em in stock, also Beta, KTM, and Husky are further developing their 2T's and they are awesome. Watch red bull series there will be 100 bikes on the start line maybe 1 thump, most of their races are over sea's where they are not force fed thumps, here in America they basically just shoved em up our ass...Roost

4. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    so the new Yamaha dirt bikes are being introduced because?
    if you remember yamaha was the first jap bike that made a competitive thumper, YZ426

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CR500 was the fastest bike I ever been on. We thought the 7 second Banshees were fast until ole boy put that 500 on em. I had to sit on the tank in every gear to keep the front on the ground. My outboards and bikes will be 2 stroke until I die haha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point was that Yamaha invested in development of a completely new two-stroke engine like Mercury should have done:

A newly-designed 85cc liquid-cooled two-stroke engine featuring a case reed-valve intake and a mechanical Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) lies at the heart of the 2019 YZ85. Combined with a redesigned cylinder and head, crankcase, crankshaft, connecting rod, transmission, exhaust, and CDI unit, this new YZ engine provides broad, tractable power across the rev range without losing peak power at high RPM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    My point was that Yamaha invested in development of a completely new two-stroke engine like Mercury should have done:
    The only "new" tech that Yamaha 2-stroke received was the power valve and case reed that's been on the bigger bikes for over 30 years. There's no new tech there that fixes any of the 2-stroke's inherent problems. It doesn't have to pass any sort of noise or emissions test, and the intended consumer doesn't really care if you have to mix oil, it's hard to start, it gets crappy fuel economy, or if the idle quality sucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLATBTM View Post
    CR500 was the fastest bike I ever been on. We thought the 7 second Banshees were fast until ole boy put that 500 on em. I had to sit on the tank in every gear to keep the front on the ground. My outboards and bikes will be 2 stroke until I die haha
    thats exactly what i'm talkin about, you'll never get that rush from a 4T, i'm no super motocross guy but when i see that straight i can suck them thumps up and dump a load on em when i go by. You buy that bike for one thing, and you dont give a rats about fuel mileage, or anything else really. I know there's alot of guys in the boat world that feel the same way, that 300 drag will give you a woody when it goes by, even idling. I wish Merc would continue to make just one 2T for that crowd, somebody, etec, will step in and get that market, although most would still run the black motor if they could get one. I have a buddy runnin triple drags on a Talon and has 3 more NIB sitting in his garage, and yes of coarse i've tried like hell to buy one...Roost

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ITS a disposable world. big screen t. v. breaks goes to the curb. we are just a tiny percent of outboard sales. theres no profit in producing the racing 2 stroke unfortinately. its all about the bucks$$$$$. my dfi vvt 175 4 stroke cost me 1200$ for some minor service , what can you do. conventional tools dont work anymore. the futures a scarey thought.

11. Thanks David - WI thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    ITS a disposable world. big screen t. v. breaks goes to the curb. we are just a tiny percent of outboard sales. theres no profit in producing the racing 2 stroke unfortinately. its all about the bucks$$$$$. my dfi vvt 175 4 stroke cost me 1200$ for some minor service , what can you do. conventional tools dont work anymore. the futures a scarey thought.
    WOW ! I will be mixing my oil and gas and living with a crappy idle I guess.

22R

13. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only untill 2 stroke oil is NLA! YOU WONT have to worry about a crappy idle. on a scale 1 to 10 10 being nice and smooth and1 being nasty rougmines a 2 on a good day closer to a 1. it keeps the bees and flys away at the ramp thats a plus. ha ha...
    Last edited by KIRCHNER; 07-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    only untill 2 stroke oil is NLA! YOU WONT have to worry about a crappy idle. on a scale 1 to 10 10 being nice and smooth and1 being nasty rougmines a 2 on a good day closer to a 1. it keeps the bees and flys away at the ramp thats a plus. ha ha...
    all true with carbys but not with DFI, e-tec you can run in the boat showroom like lots of dealers do

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9