Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dies in gear.

86 2.4 mariner. Overhauled. Timed synched etc. Im having high idle problems. Cant find any intake leaks. Decided to put it in the water anyway, but when placed in gear it dies. Any ideas? This has been the most difficult and complex type of machine ive ever dealt with.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how's the compression? Did you check for spark on all 6?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carb and remote synch.

The remote synch can bite bite you if the throttle cable is synchronized extended has to be pushed to the barrel nut and synced if left expanded it won’t always return to full idle. And will jump when shifting into gear and bog -> die. If it has the combination lever it will goof with timing as well. Shift lever synch can also be a pain.

I assume the sych between carbs/ect is good.

Synch has has been the biggest shop thing lately every one seems to have stretched remote cables this year. Or we just we passing it as good for a while ehh
    '06 Tracker All-Fish/Tournament V-18 90 Optimax, 46.8 gps Goal one complete reach 45 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going back to ckg compression. Since it was overhauled incl one resleeve i hadnt checked. But ill go back.
    I was tying to find some adj spec for the throttle/shift cables. (I have a manual). When moving the throttle lever it shifts and then it moves the gas. I assume thats how it works but dont know if maybe the gas can be adj to come in sooner.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing you gotta worry about with the throttle cable adjustment is that it is adjusted so the throttle arm is at the idle stop at idle. Adjust it a couple turns past where it holds the throttle arm at idle to give it a little pressure against the stop. Adjust the cable last after all the link, sync and timing are done.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    compression is averaging 100psi cold with a 7-8lb variation. I rechecked carb linkage setting. (ok). rechecked fast cranking speed. should be around 22deg but tops out at about 16deg. trigger has no more movement forward to go higher. I had this problem previously. ive replaced just about everything trigger included with no change there. Tdc was also determined.
    it starts up but still idles high. 2000-3000 on the muffs. cand find no leaks. sprayed brake clean all over. checked the bleed lines. ive put new gaskets in the carbs (which were very clean). When put in the water it idles a little less but dies when put in gear. Im getting tired of disappointing my family.
    is there anything internal in the carbs that can cause the hi idle? No mixture screws on this model. I put new cris carson reeds in. dont know if a problem in there could cause idling issues but im sure they are in ok. i used lock tite on the screws.
    im thinking a timing malfucntion or air leak. i can get the idle down by turning in the low speed screw ( the middle one).
    this motor wasnt running when i got it so teres nothing to compare it to.
    any new ideas?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2-3k is a bit more then high idle. That takes open carbs

something is way off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbs are completly closed. The roller isnt even touching the cam. I sprayed everywhere including under the flywheel thinking maybe the seal is letting air by. But no reaction.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The roller isn't even touching the cam."
    Isn't that the problem? Is it not touching the cam when in neutral? This was the cause of my 150hp Evinrude problems. It stalled when put into gear because the cam and roller were too far away from each other in neutral. Plastic on the roller arm lost its bite, and it would not return to its normal position after shifting back into neutral. On my engine, it needs to be touching, or just barely not touching when shifting back to neutral from forward or reverse. I fixed that, and never stalled again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closed throttle blades and 3K rpms.....It's getting air from somewhere.

This may sound stupid, but not all "environmentally good" brake clean is combustible. So spraying that kind will not help much to find a leak.

I use a hand held small propane bottle and torch tip (bleed air ports closed) with a rubber hose, just cracking the valve to let a small amount out to search out vacuum leaks. A bit less messy and more controllable than soaking things with brake clean.... jmo
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2F a V-King View Post
    Closed throttle blades and 3K rpms.....It's getting air from somewhere.

This may sound stupid, but not all "environmentally good" brake clean is combustible. So spraying that kind will not help much to find a leak.

I use a hand held small propane bottle and torch tip (bleed air ports closed) with a rubber hose, just cracking the valve to let a small amount out to search out vacuum leaks. A bit less messy and more controllable than soaking things with brake clean.... jmo
    I wonder if it's not the roller arm that is sticking, but the cam. If the plastic on the cam has deteriorated and is making it stay advanced after returning to neutral, that could keep the idle up that high, right? A link and sync could be done and all could look fine and dandy, but after shifting to forward, and back to neutral - if the cam stays forward, it'll stay idling that high, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by SDP; 01-27-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Um I'm not tryin b bearer of bad news but 100 psi and less not gud for a rebuild,, can u give us little more info on rebuild, if its idling 2or3k rpm it dam sure shouldn't die when put in gear,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a wonky gauge. Lots of chinese junk out there. Borrow a known good gauge from someone to verify. A leak down test will show more info here. imo, there needs to be some run time for rings to seat.
    James H. W2F a V-King... Want 2 Fly a V-King

Dedicated Site for Hydrostreams >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/
    My Project 1979 V-King restore >> http://hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2761

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M100lbs compression on carbed motor might be fine ,according to the altitude your checking it at ...Leak down test is the best way to confirm ring bore health !
    Make sure the intake gaskets are correct and sealing , in good ventilation while motor is idling walk around the intake surfaces spraying WD 40 then observe for elevated idle , might have missed something , I’d also remove the throttle cable and manually shut the butterfly linkage and see if that lowers idle speed , also if your pick up timing is high it will have elevated idle speed ...

Good hunting ,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious , have you checked gear case health ?. Because of the going dead when it is put in gear issue ?

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast