Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the difference?

This may sound stupid, but I honestly don't know the answer. I'm a V-drive guy, have been for forty years. A Stevens 18 ft Silhouette with a built 509 CID nasty BBC. I've been looking at boat ads just for fun and see quite a few V-drive boats that look like flat bottoms. Some say flat bottom and others say runner bottom. Until last year I never heard the term runner bottom. Are they the same thing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A flat bottom is flat as the name suggests. A runner bottom has “tunnels” and the outer chines are called “runners.” I guess car engine boat guys are more car guys than boat guys?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABB2F079-FB54-4588-BC1A-47FD867C6877.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	404662
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sincerely appreciate the information. Just because my boat has a car engine, I don't really believe I'm more of a car guy than boat guy. I'm about equal. Would you tell a top fuel hydro driver he's more of a car than boat guy? How about unlimited hydro drivers? Are they more helicopter guys than boat guys because their boats use helicopter turbine engines? Actually the car guy remark I found humorous, I just had to comment. Thanks for the information

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossram View Post
    Just because my boat has a car engine, I don't really believe I'm more of a car guy than boat guy.
    I just meant the way that the hull shape is named. Doesn’t really seem to follow “boating” convention...

I myself probably am more of a car guy than a boat guy but I don’t like to mix engines between the two. I like an old 2 stroke Merc on the back of my boats!
    Josh Peterson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured that. That's what I was brought up on. My father was national champion D utility stock outboard 5 years in a row, late fifties, early sixties. There is a picture of him in outboard history, 1959 1,000 islands marathon start on this forum, also a film on youtube "Winnebagoland marathon 1957. When he retired from racing I was 17 years old, very much into hot rodding. We made a deal, he wanted a flat bottom. He would buy the boat, I would supply the engine and install it in the boat. I found a chevy 409 that looked like a 425 dual carburetor but found it had a 3/8 stroker crank and it ran clockwise, backwards. It's now bored .125 and residees in my 55 chevy. Ran it in the boat many years. Sent the V-drive to Casale, upped the OD to 24% and put in gears that turned the other way. On it's best day the 409 propelled the boat 83 mph through timing lights at Columbiaville MI drag boat races. The 409 now has a crossram intake, hence my moniker, took me 7 years to find one. The boat is now considerably faster with the 509 BBC . It's a bow tie block bored .250. I got nothing against outboards, I'm a hot rodder and fast boat guy (old man). My Stevens (the same one my father and I put together) gives me the best of both worlds, perfect for me. I actually liked that little jab, made me actually laugh out loud. Thanks to you I know what a runner bottom is. Best regards
    Last edited by crossram; 04-13-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love to hear stories about hot rods and boat racers of the past! If you can dig up any pics of you and your dad and your toys (past and present) I’m sure they will be well received here!
    Josh Peterson