Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1993 Mercury 2.5 xri 175 hp oil injection system removal

sorry i've been down with a stomach bug for the last 36 hours. i wanted to repost to see if anyone has any new info that may be helpful.

i just purchased a 1993 Skeeter bass boat with a 2.5 xri 175 hp Merc. it has been sitting up for 2 years and I'll be changing the impeller, fuel/water separating filter, thermostats, rebuild fuel pump, gear oil, etc.before starting the engine. i did not start it when i purchased it but did do a compression check on the cylinders. all 6 were at 120 psi.

i want to dismantle the oil injection system and go premix before firing up the motor. i have read lots of the threads posted here and feel i can remove the system from the motor. However, i am concerned about removing the detonation sensor and detonation module. i would prefer to leave this intact if possible and let it operate as intended by Mercury.

Also, the threads on this subject call for removing the rotation sensor near the oil injection pump. I'ts my understanding that there is an oil injection warning module that the rotation sensor is attached to. i'm guessing that i can remove the rotation sensor and leave the module in place ? from the schematics on the oil injection warning module there is about 8 wires coming out of it.

i have the kit to plug the hole where the pump is and another plug for the starboard side of the engine. does anyone know what the plug for the starboard is plugging ? is that a vacuum line for the oil injection system?

I have not started this engine yet. before doing anything i was thinking of rerouting the oil injection line from the pump back into the pump to make sure the engine fires before removing anything related to the oil injection system or any modules, etc. I have already premixed 50:1 in the tanks so i should be good to go.

thanks to all of you that have chimed in so far. any extra input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    det. sensor and module can stay as is.. rotation sensor goes away along with all other oiler parts n pieces.... including tha module.

yeah, its vacuum pulse that pressurizes boat tank ta feed oil up to motor tank....

3. Thanks Crappiecrazy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wanted to thank you guys that have replied to my questions. I'm almost finished getting this engine ready to fire up. I completed all the pre-maintenance items this last weekend, impeller, fuel pump, etc. after work today i removed the oil warning module, the oil tanks, and the oil sensor. I am now ready to unbolt the oil pump from the block and remove it.

my questions are... will the drive gear come out with the pump or is it detached and comes out separately? my other concern is the "magnet" where is it? and will it come out with the pump and/or gear. These may be dumb questions to you guys but i don't want any loose parts falling down the hole into the crankcase.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be removing the pump tomorrow evening after work.
    thanks !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing will fall into the crank case. Magnet is in the plastic bushing. You might pull out the plastic bushing which leaves the oil pump shaft in the engine. Turning the flywheel by hand will move the oiler shaft out until you can grab it. Shouldn't need any tools but might help to have needle nose pliers and or a magnet handy.

The plug is used to take up crankcase volume and secure the brass bushing in the crankcase. It also possible to install the oil shaft backward with some slight modifications to the plastic bushing to act like a plug.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks !
    I have the mercury part to plug the hole. I want to remove the gear and anything else that’s in the hole. I guessing it will all come out together as I remove the pump ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the plastic bushing and oiler gear may be recessed inside but it can't fall into the crankcase so don't worry. once you remove the pump you will be able to figure it out. you will likely be able to remove the plastic bushing with pliers. Spinning the flywheel by hand will help push the oiler gear further out until you can grab it. It will be obvious just start doing it.

9. Thanks Crappiecrazy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll see how it goes tonight. I had read one of the threads about this and it said do not turn the flywheel until the plug is in place so the bushing does not fall out into the crankcase.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it done. Special thanks to Fishinmymission for coaxing me along to get it finished. everything went smooth and the motor purrs like a kitten. Lesson learned... don't be a chicken - just get in there and do it. Thanks again for all the replies from everyone. It's late, I'm hungry, and need a shower but I have a story to share with you guys about how I found out about Scream and Fly. I will share that story tomorrow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Thanks !

I wanted to thank all of you who replied to my threads about removing the oil injection system from my engine. got it done with everyone's input.

I wanted to share my story of how i discovered Scream and Fly. Before purchasing the Skeeter with the 1993 2.5 175hp mercury, which was the 3rd boat that i was looking at to buy, I ran across a beautiful 1991 19.5ft. Charger VF 195 bass boat with a 2.4 240hp Bridgeport Merc. This boat was a one owner, all original, in pristine condition and always kept inside. This boat was only used for fishing local lakes and not used more than 3-4 times per year. While doing research on the Bridgeport, I found the Scream and Fly Forum. I test drove this boat and now know why the forum is called Scream and Fly. This boat did exactly that. It was extremely fast and extremely load. I wanted this boat real bad but i ended up passing on it. It was really too fast and too loud to be able to take my kids and wife fishing and/or tubing at the lake. I guess i can say that i got to experience screaming and flying once in my life.

Thanks again to all !!