Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check my thinking on my carb fuel system.....

So for years I’ve ran a Bosch efi drag pump on my carb motor by way of a bypass regulator kicking my pressure down to 5-7psi. It’s worked great. Love the Bosch pump will never go back to a Holley or any other rattletrap. I recently had a failure though where my regulator (which is mounted on a distribution manifold on the motor) broke off due to a harmonic/cracking issue. Motor lost pressure of course at 7500 and burned #5. Now I’m re thinking my setup. Why are regulators always mounted near the motor? In an EFI situation I can understand, but with a 7psi carb system why can’t I mount my regulator in the boat near the pump, and just run a single line of regulated fuel to the motor? Again, with efi it would be bad to have 5 or 6 feet of highly pressurized line running that far.....but with my low pressure carb setup? I’ve been toying with this idea for a while now, and can’t really come up with a downfall. One line in, instead of two (fuel in and return out).....less fuel system hanging on the side of the motor....getting hot and at risk.....

Am I thinking wrong? This should work, right?

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mach351 View Post
    So for years I’ve ran a Bosch efi drag pump on my carb motor by way of a bypass regulator kicking my pressure down to 5-7psi. It’s worked great. Love the Bosch pump will never go back to a Holley or any other rattletrap. I recently had a failure though where my regulator (which is mounted on a distribution manifold on the motor) broke off due to a harmonic/cracking issue. Motor lost pressure of course at 7500 and burned #5. Now I’m re thinking my setup. Why are regulators always mounted near the motor? In an EFI situation I can understand, but with a 7psi carb system why can’t I mount my regulator in the boat near the pump, and just run a single line of regulated fuel to the motor? Again, with efi it would be bad to have 5 or 6 feet of highly pressurized line running that far.....but with my low pressure carb setup? I’ve been toying with this idea for a while now, and can’t really come up with a downfall. One line in, instead of two (fuel in and return out).....less fuel system hanging on the side of the motor....getting hot and at risk.....

Am I thinking wrong? This should work, right?
    A lot of people have their carb reg in the boat in the rear.

Thats where mine is on my Drag

3. Thanks mach351 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My reg is in the boat too. Still running the blue rattle trap because it won’t seem to die!
    Josh Peterson

5. Thanks mach351 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a return regulator next to my pump in the boat, only way I could stablize the fuel pressure to my top carbs on the v/8, with out flooding the rest of the carbs, works great, extra gas goes back in the tank...

7. Thanks mach351 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well $hit.....looks like I need to get to it

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

9. Likes 90 5.0 liked this post