Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200XS vs. 260 real world comparison

Anybody with experience with both engines care to offer a comparison? I have an 02 200XS on a Seebold Ski Eagle. It runs pretty good. About 80 with two people with a 28 promax prop I borrowed from a former owner of the boat. As mentioned in another post, my 3 blade ET cut chopper slips a lot with this hull and won't carry the bow very well so I'm working on getting another prop. Only saw 75 with it on the rev limiter.

I've since come across an opportunity for a 1993 260 at a decent price and am curious for a comparison. Would the 260 pretty much run the same just turn more rpm on top or would it pull harder everywhere? My motor is rev limited at 6,800. If it runs the same mid range just more rpm on top it's not really worth the hassle to me. If it would run stronger everywhere, then it's more interesting.

Also, any tips on what to look for beyond a compression test and leakdown test? It has a CLE lower. Should the lower have a magnetic plug to check for metal?

Are parts still readily available or getting hard to find?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 260 will be stronger everywhere but there is maintenance cost associated with that motor that your 200 does not hurt you with. They are a nikasil plated cylinder and require ring replacement at shorter time intervals. If the rings are ignored, they will damage the plating and then the block will need to be re-plated or sleeved which gets pricy. Top end will be better as you will be able to turn a 1:87 gear up into the 7500 rpm range. It will use twice the fuel of your current set up and you will be mixing oil as well. I have had several 260 and 280 motors on small and big boats in the past. Knowing what I know now, I would wait and go with a 3L and 1.62 on your boat if you are going to make a change.

Joe

3. Thanks bullhead00 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe. Yes, I've read about the Nikasil cylinders and shorter maintenance cycle. I'm reluctant to go to a 3L since my rub rail is already under water in the rear corners.

I don't mind mixing oil so that's not a real big deal. The extra gas would add up and I guess I'd probably burn a lot more oil since it's just mixed, not injected based on how much the motor needs at various rpm.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2002 200XS makes about 210hp, some say 220hp. Everything Joe said above is spot on. I'm not sure I would change in your family application. Someone else can comment but I thought the 175 Pro XS made 192hp so maybe that is worth checking into.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for trying to save me some time and money! Yeah, I've read all sorts of things about my 200XS really making more power etc. All I know is the former owner of the hull said he saw 89 with a 225 Promax and high 90's with a 260. So far all I can get is 80 with my 200. I would be fine with 80-85 top end but wouldn't mind more acceleration. I know my hull isn't the lightest. Only other high perf boat I've had was a Valero YT with a modified 200 carbed Merc. When you nailed the throttle in that boat, it ran more like a 2 stroke 250 motocross bike. Better be paying attention. I know that hull was a lot lighter. Just trying to get closer to that sort of acceleration.

This 260 is pretty cheap and not well advertised so I'm thinking it's below market. CLE lower. Of course, it could have 700 hours on it. No way to know. Came off a bass boat an older guy had who didn't have time to fish. At least, that's the story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a fully rebuilt 260 out there for $8k fyi. Here is something to chew on. I have dyno'd two separate Promax 225's. One pulled 245hp and the other 242hp. If your hull did 89 with the Promax the general very rough rule of thumb is that each mph needs about 9hp and each 100lbs of weight eats up 9hp. That tells me your Gen 1 200XS is probably only making 200hp.

8. Likes hydrostreamvking4m liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Greg. Yeah, I'm no expert having driven a total of 3 v6 2 stroke boats, but it doesn't feel like more than 200 hp to me. My hull is an old Seebold tunnel so not really a family type boat. My wife and daughter wouldn't get in it with me no matter what... Not light like a Mirage or something though. Deeper tunnels and wider boat. I'm not pulling kids on tubes in other words. Just want something fast and fun to drive.

What is considered good compression on a 260? Cost to replate a block if you do the tear down yourself? Just thinking if I own it and it runs into problems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freakin get the 260 then its a whole new ball game

02 mirage ski racer w/ 2.5
    lake tarpon (LTB racing)

"Mirage Boats... often imitated but never duplicated"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I hear ya. Leaning that way. Arranging compression and leakdown tests. I'm not too concerned about fuel consumption and maintenance costs within reason. Just want something entertaining to drive. My 200 is OK but it doesn't rip quite like I want.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 200sx will use about 1/2 the gas at mid range. i get 7.4 max at 30-40 on a voyager. the 260 will use about 3.5-4.5.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would go with a 260 on the seebold who cares about gas .and turning wrenches on them thats what its all about a noisy screaming motor that needs attention here and there , here is a thought put 2 260's on it then it would be dangerous and fast

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned both. I originally had a gen 1 200xs on my xb2002, then I drove another xb with a 260 on it. I soon after got a new 260. The sound and pull of a 260 is an addiction. But don't fool yourself, there is no such thing as a cheap 260. You either pay good money for a clean, virgin one, or a lot more fixing some hacked up, pieced together POS. And if you don't know what you're looking at, it's easy to get caught in that trap. There's some reputable guys on here, do some searching if you're going to go that route, and buy from someone that has a good reputation. There's quite a few in your part of the country, it would be worth the extra expense and time to go that route. Good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    I've owned both don't fool yourself, there is no such thing as a cheap 260.
    There you have it. As long as you have an excellent shop near you for 260 upkeep you will be ok,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little more info on the "260" I'm pondering. Guy says it's a 245 block with the bleed fittings blocked off with a 260 front. The engine is on a stand. Says he did a compression test but had to use jumper cables since he didn't have battery cables (wonder where the ones that should be connected to the motor are?) Says 110-115 pounds on each cylinder since it was cranking slow. Says one bore has an iron sleeve and the rest are still nikasil. It has a CLE lower unit and a Brucato ignition box.

He's willing to let me pull the heads to see the bores. The shop that has the motor says they don't have the ability to perform a leak down test.

So I'm a lot less enthralled with this set up.

Are compression numbers that impacted by how quickly the engine is turning over? Everything I've read talks about 140 pounds on these engines. How big of a deal is the pieced together 245 block and 260 intake and fueling?

The price they are asking leaves room in the budget for repair /rebuild money compared to others I've seen listed and mentioned here. I'd want to run it for a summer "as is" though and maybe get into a rebuild later on.

Or it could just be getting a pieced together POS that will cost more in the long run...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your smart you won’t buy some piece of **** someone wrenched on. Save your money, dump the 200 and buy a brand new 300xs from in Lake City FL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast