Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool New to this site and outboards. I could use some advice please.

I had a Howard flat for years.Loved it. I changed gears bought a vintage sleekcraft- 2.4 Bridgeport- detwiler jack plate-seastar pro steering. The hull is a modified tunnel. The article I read said it would weigh around 900. REALLY.Well I got it going to make the best of it. Any ideas where to start with a prop? Diameter-Pitch. Chopper, Cleaver?Any help would be awesome.I live in Minnesota so I always have calm water.Whatever that is worth. THANKS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of people on here more knowledgeable than me. but, people need to know what if any mods have been done to the motor, port work, nose cone/low water pick up, what is the set back and engine height? Then there is usage, cruiser, ski boat, heavily loaded or running light top end fly boat? you might want 2, a thru hub for cruising loaded, and a chopper for flying. Pitch can only be estimated by getting the info above, Then people will chime in..... Have Fun!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it were mine and it is light "like you were told", I would start with a 28 pro et 14.5 dia. and see what rpm it turns along with setting motor height even with the pad for a starting point. You want to turn that motor just above 7K and it will stay happy. Do a leak down on the motor and keep fresh rings in it. The sleeks are a cool boat.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=JPEROG;3027773]If it were mine and it is light "like you were told", I would start with a 28 pro et 14.5 dia. and see what rpm it turns along with setting motor height even with the pad for a starting point. You want to turn that motor just above 7K and it will stay happy. Do a leak down on the motor and keep fresh rings in it. The sleeks are a cool boat.

Joe[Thanks for the feedback guys. The motor is stock.cle gearcase. Low water pickup. Hydraulic jack plate.motor is set back of course.Is 900 pounds heavy for a 20 foot piece of fiberglass. This style of boat anyway.Modified tunnel.What would a cleaver do for a boat like this? Anyway with help from this site I'll get it.Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the hull is a little heavy for a cleaver. I would stick with the Pro ET or a big eared chopper. Probably around a 28P. The ETs are fairly expensive the choppers you can find from time to time for cheap.
    Speed cost money. How fast you wanna go?
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Oldman View Post
    I think the hull is a little heavy for a cleaver. I would stick with the Pro ET or a big eared chopper. Probably around a 28P. The ETs are fairly expensive the choppers you can find from time to time for cheap.
    I like that last part.The impossible with nothing. OK I am now officially prop hunting. Yes the et is pricey.I will start out humble. I will learn a lot. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based a lot of what I told you you info I have from a couple of trusted members working with Shadow VT hulls. One was turning his BP over 7k and in low to mid ninety's with a big eared chopper and 12" set back. My VT is going be some where 800-900 lbs but going with a 250XB + minor mods for power. Anyway I'm as lost as you about set up due to additional motor weight and lower RPM characteristics. I've been looking at 32 pitch Hill Eagle 3 & 4 props. They look pretty decent for the money. I have a decent 28 chopper like you need but not looking to sell it quite yet. Good luck and be careful.
    I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based a lot of what I told you you info I have from a couple of trusted members working with Shadow VT hulls. One was turning his BP over 7k and in low to mid ninety's with a big eared chopper and 12" set back. My VT is going be some where 800-900 lbs but going with a 250XB + minor mods for power. Anyway I'm as lost as you about set up due to additional motor weight and lower RPM characteristics. I've been looking at 32 pitch Hill Eagle 3 & 4 props. They look pretty decent for the money. I have a decent 28 chopper like you need but not looking to sell it quite yet. Good luck and be careful.
    Hi, I am surprised that a hull of this style and weight with a little Bridgeport would pull a prop of that pitch. Well that is why I am here to learn. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that like me, you are working with a hull which is not that common. I have gotten a lot of information from reading about STV Euros which are the closest thing that there is and a lot of them around. Best I can tell their weight is around 800#. Aero-research and Boat Design have interesting articles concerning tunnels, STVs, and VP type hulls. One of my friends has a VT hull running right at 80 MPH with a nearly stock old 200HP 2.4. If I remember right he was turning a 26 but I can't remember what kind. It wasn't a chopper.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that like me, you are working with a hull which is not that common. I have gotten a lot of information from reading about STV Euros which are the closest thing that there is and a lot of them around. Best I can tell their weight is around 800#. Aero-research and Boat Design have interesting articles concerning tunnels, STVs, and VP type hulls. One of my friends has a VT hull running right at 80 MPH with a nearly stock old 200HP 2.4. If I remember right he was turning a 26 but I can't remember what kind. It wasn't a chopper.
    Thanks for the info again. I just joined a group of sleekcraft owners. More knowledge for sure me thinks. Jump in with both feet have some fun spend some money.