Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Aw come ON !!!

Originally posted by ggarland
    compared to production pleasure craft hulls?Nice try.

George
    One other point.....eh?

This is the Outboard and RACING history section. If you want to talk about present day river racing junk....... go to the general topics area.

Or if you want it in small words with bigger letters.....click on the "Canadian Assistance" button.

T2x

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking TX2 you old devil

So what are you telling me, that the Shooting Star was the F1 tunnel boat of the past ? It is to laugh. I don't remember them being considered a race hull back then, guess I missed it. But if you wanna compare apples to apples, then ya gotta be fair about it. What I am talking about is the Star compaired to the production Hi perf hulls of today that the ordinary Joe can buy and use, not the stuff you been posting. Kinda hard to waterski behind any of those or take the missus for a ride. You are missing the point here, and yeah I know the label says Outboard and Race History, I went and found my glasses, but if you check back in the posts I think that we are a LITTLE more diverse than that. "Canadian Assistance button", Ohhhhhh.......

OK, now its your turn !!!

George

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: TX2 you old devil

Originally posted by ggarland
    So what are you telling me, that the Shooting Star was the F1 tunnel boat of the past ? It is to laugh. I don't remember them being considered a race hull back then, guess I missed it. But if you wanna compare apples to apples, then ya gotta be fair about it. What I am talking about is the Star compaired to the production Hi perf hulls of today that the ordinary Joe can buy and use, not the stuff you been posting. Kinda hard to waterski behind any of those or take the missus for a ride. You are missing the point here, and yeah I know the label says Outboard and Race History, I went and found my glasses, but if you check back in the posts I think that we are a LITTLE more diverse than that. "Canadian Assistance button", Ohhhhhh.......

OK, now its your turn !!!

George
    Actually the Shooting Stars were a decent ski boat....and a BUNCH of them raced on both marathon and short courses.....

In the mid 60's just before the tunnel boat revolution the Shooting Sars were about as competitive as anything else...in calm to moderate water....... they did have a turning problem which in truth was easily corrected with a skid fin....... I imagine that a flat Switzer could outrun just about any current design in a straight line with up to about 150-200 hp......and it did have a bench seat for couples.

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969switzer2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good, now we are back on track. But I got to go to work so I better leave this till later. I will post my rebuttal tonight!!

BTW on a different topic, I have two old Chrysler Hemis in a old woody that need rebuilding, early style 331 cube, I am just on my way to pull them out now. Not looking forward to this, (they don't call them Elephants for nothing) as they weigh so much. Anyway, one spun a bearing and seized and my question is do you or anyone else down in the States have a source of parts for these old girls? My customer wants to keep the boat original and does not want to repower. Any help will be appreciated.

George

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,
    You are in luck. Over in the parallel universe of Nostalgia Rodding the early Hemi is King. Companies are ramping up early hemi support like Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) and Powerplay-Hot Heads Research and Racing (www.powerplayhemi.com). Hot Heads offers a slew of products for the early hemi, and would be a good first stop. Mooneys still has all the eye candy. You might be able to save a few bucks ordering what you can through Summit or Jegs. And some things you may only find through the restoration supply houses like Egge Machine.
    A while back I saw a basketcase Stevens that apparently came set up for an early Cad (331?). Engine missing, but the mounts, bellhousing and exhausts were there along with the Hallcraft V-drive.
    Good Luck!
    Brett
    PS. Are you SURE the owner won't part with one of those hemi's?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks for that tip, I got lots of leads now !!

Brett:

Thanks for the tip ! I checked into it and you are right, there is a lot more available right now than I thought, good stuff!!! I have both engines out right now (don't ask) and will tear them apart over the next couple of weeks to see how bad they are. As far as parting with them, you will have to get in line !!! But no, he knows what he has there, trust me. Shame however, they would be a fine addition to any collection. They deserve better.

George

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Inline Six

This is why they ran Switzers: 100 mph with a stock 200. August 1977 Powerboat magazine.

I have a newspaper article from May 1970 showing 100mph Switzercraft with a modified 1350 stacker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan00033.jpg  
    Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question STAR VS. MISSLE

Anyone know if a star would beat a missle with the same power? Did the star have the same blow-over tendencies as the missle? Someone who drove them both could compare the 2 for us. Maybe RM. Thanks.

Disclaimer: No disrespect intended to any person or equipment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I guess it'd be a hard comparison with equal power because I don't think it'd be possible to keep a Missle right side up at 100, but don't see how they ever got that kind of speed from the Switzer either with a stock V6. I've always doubted some of the old Switzer speeds that have been published, like 110+ in a Wing with a pair of Merc 800's for instance.

Obviously the Shooting Star is less of a blowover threat since it's not an air entrapment hull, but in anything more than a 3" chop I'd think the Missle would drive away. My best description of driving my old Shooting Star was sittin' down on a washboard and lettin' somebody grab your ankles and drag you down it, and the damn things won't turn either. When you crank the wheel the boat turns sideways like a crab and keeps goin' straight. Mine had 2 pieces of alum. angle screwed underneath and I thought the previous owner had done it to try and make it turn without gettin' COMPLETELY OFF plane, but I heard later that some were done that way from the factory. I guess it goes without sayin' that I'm not a fan of the handling, but they sure are neat looking.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With equal power on dead calm water,a Shooting Star would be hard to beat on top end. The key phrase, of course, is dead calm water. The original brochure stated " not a rough water boat". But it's still a cool boat,and a lot of fun under the right conditions. A friend and I took one of our Stars on the recent Jasper River run,80 miles round trip, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Passing the trawlers was NOT fun, but we smiled all the way.Our '68 with a bone stock 1250 and SSM lower will still GPS 78 mph and the whole rig is 37 years old. Blow over is not a problem, but most old Stars don't run power trim,3rd pin hole for speed,2nd pin hole for cruising, and hammer down till you see a wake. Not for everybody, my wife won't get in it, but the boat still turns heads. Robert

Along the Illinois Waterway a little south of Joliet Illinois
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switzer

Compare a Switzer to an Allison of the 60's & 70's and the Switzer will beat it all the time. If you take a look at an Allison Drag V you will notice the hull looks just like my SS, which was built in '77...You just have to learn how to handle one..they Chine Walk a little more than todays boats, but I fixed that on my GL-21 with a Blue Printed Hull from Captain Nabbers Boat Shop in Morris Illinois. Tom Arambasich
    Last edited by TomAprilsswitzers; 11-15-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast