Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T2X, T2X, T2X

I fully aware the he wasn't there and doesn't have the memories.
    More than likely his mom and dad weren't born then either.

And he certainly wasn't there in the days of the Sids and Speedliners. And they were not great rough water boats either, altho the did turn.

And I wan't there when the Babe hit sixty.

The point is he's talking apples and grapes and thinks his brain surgeon.

He talking trash about an entire era and making a mockery of it.

If that's somthing you and I care to do along with Sherlock and Schubert and a half zillion others on this board, that's our business. We there and lived it.

I don't have listen to it from this kid and I don't have to be gentle.

Sincerely
    TM

BTW the 1963 Star that I always refer to would roll up and turn on the inside chine on one pin turns and turn off the outside chine on 3 to 5 pin turns. Probably one of a kind, but it did exist and was world record fast in the kilo (APBA) and flying mile (NOA).
    Last edited by Ted March; 08-09-2004 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I am quite happy with the way my 1968 Star with 125 Merc and SSM lower performs,and I'm sure I will be just as pleased with my 1967 Star with 1100SS with Quincy stacks once I get it restored. I did not buy them because of their turning ability(or lack thereof). I have them because they are part of history and bring back a lot of memories. I was a young dealer for Glastron and Checkmate in the late 60's, and being young and foolish,thought no one could touch my new 14' Checkmate/125 Merc and new 2 blade bronze high performance Merc prop. I laughed when the guy in the funny looking gold boat with a bow that looked like a 1954 Hudson car and Merc 115 wanted to race. I had never heard of a Switzer and when he docked with no reverse and said his shift cable was broken(never heard of a SSM either) I laughed even more! After all,I was running low 60's, and nobody on the river was faster back then. The Switzer turned out to have nearly 20 mph on me and my friends laughed at me. No, it wouldn't turn well, but it did it's job,and made a lasting impression on me. I swore I would one day have a Switzer Shooting Star, and finally I have two. What makes an older boat desirable is in the eyes of the beholder,the owner, and those who wished they owned one. The rest doesn't matter to me. Robert Nelems

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It

took a long time to say what we already know.

so what.

we did it. check the records.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MagicFloat
    Personally I am quite happy with the way my 1968 Star with 125 Merc and SSM lower performs,and I'm sure I will be just as pleased with my 1967 Star with 1100SS with Quincy stacks once I get it restored. I did not buy them because of their turning ability(or lack thereof). I have them because they are part of history and bring back a lot of memories. I was a young dealer for Glastron and Checkmate in the late 60's, and being young and foolish,thought no one could touch my new 14' Checkmate/125 Merc and new 2 blade bronze high performance Merc prop. I laughed when the guy in the funny looking gold boat with a bow that looked like a 1954 Hudson car and Merc 115 wanted to race. I had never heard of a Switzer and when he docked with no reverse and said his shift cable was broken(never heard of a SSM either) I laughed even more! After all,I was running low 60's, and nobody on the river was faster back then. The Switzer turned out to have nearly 20 mph on me and my friends laughed at me. No, it wouldn't turn well, but it did it's job,and made a lasting impression on me. I swore I would one day have a Switzer Shooting Star, and finally I have two. What makes an older boat desirable is in the eyes of the beholder,the owner, and those who wished they owned one. The rest doesn't matter to me. Robert Nelems
    Well said...........

My only concern is that I'm not seeing the disrespect. Maybe my ability to read between the lines is limited or something.

Obviously, I share the passion for old Switzer designs and I'm putting my money where my mouth is...as are you.

On the other hand, I did get a chance to drive a couple of flat Switzers back in the day...with mixed results.

One more point....Has anyone seen one of the "little" flat Switzers (SE class 13'6'' in length)? These things really went with a Merc 500.

T2x

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Rich you're just seeing things with rose colored glasses. I don't think InlineSix meant any disrespect but I see the same attitude all the time.
    You can't compare todays technology with the technology of yesterday. What we did back 25, 30 or so years ago was in most ways much harder to accomplish that doing it's equivelent today. That's not to take anything away from today's drivers or boat builders it's they have the experience of those 30 odd years to get to today's point.
    Yes the Switzer and even the Allisons compared to today rode crappy and didn't turn as well, heck in my eyes that makes the accomplishments of yesterday even more amazing.
    When it really comes down to it the racers of today are just as good as 25 years ago. The difference is today we have safer and better equipment which translates into faster speeds.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Crappy Ride

Wow , I never had the opportunity to drive a Switzer but as a kid on Long Island I saw a few that the Richards clan from my home town of Freeport had with twin Mercs , I would have killed to drive one . I think Inline Six needs to drive a D runabout or a D hydro at 70 to75 mph in normal racing conditions to be able to properly evaluate a crappy ride definition . or better yet just drive a 13 Checkmate with an 85 Merc in bay chop !!!!!!! See Ya , Tom .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a second here

Holy Smoke, and I thought that I got ripped a new asshole for my remarks........ Passionate bunch here tonight. But you can't deny that the world has moved on in hull and engine design. Inline is right. They were a great boat in their day, but they cannot hold a candle to what is available today, and nor should they be expected to. Inline was not showing any disrespect to the past, he was just speaking the facts as he and others see them, nothing wrong with that. I think he is entitled to speak his mind and call them as he sees them, after all isn’t that what this board is all about? The chance to speak ones mind and offer an opinion? I understand where you guy are coming from and I respect your accomplisments, but Inline did nothing wrong, I think he deserves an apology.

Respect and learn from the past, but don’t live in it.

George
    Last edited by ggarland; 08-21-2004 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Just a second here

Originally posted by ggarland
    . But you can't deny that the world has moved on in hull and engine design. . They were a great boat in their day, but they cannot hold a candle to what is available today,

George
    Anything around today that will out perform this?

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 176[1][1].556mph.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    or this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wing-skyway.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Switzer

The Switzer Wings of the early 60's were clearly DECADES ahead of their time in performance hull design. It is worth owning such a piece of technological history for this reason alone! (And then there's the 'bonus' of having a super-fast boat!) There should not be any of us in today's performance powerboating world that don't bow down in respect to 'break-through' designers like Bob/Dave Switzer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Aw come ON !!!

Now guys, ya can't pull that **** here. A race tunnel and a one off experimental compared to production pleasure craft hulls? As the Switzer was compared to what, low flying aircraft? Nice try.

George
    Last edited by ggarland; 08-23-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricky Racer

How bout Jones Cats..Raveau's..cats and runabouts..Power cats..down here in Fla they were Kings in the early OPC days..we started OPC...the west coast guys were made humble as were everybody else..come play in our back yard and go home beat...
    remember the old gunfighter mentality..no matter how fast you are, somebody was faster...thats why we played racer...besides, we loved it...evolution reigns....and we still don't know what we wanta be when we grow up, that's why we are on this forum..lighten up guys..most of you don't know me cause you are still puppies...but me and Olegator had fun....

beware of turn 3, for there lurks the flip demon....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking stir it up

Don't worry old man, us young'ins are just havin' fun with each other. This board would be a pretty dull place if we all agreed about everything all the time, now wouldn't it? Besides, I like my black hat, 'tis a nice fit !!

George

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

George

Well said...I've always had a black hat too...semper fi..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Aw come ON !!!

Originally posted by ggarland
    Now guys, ya can't pull that **** here. A race tunnel and a one off experimental compared to production pleasure craft hulls? As the Switzer was compared to what, low flying aircraft? Nice try.

George
    There are wing sections on STV's, Allison decks and sides, etc..... all of that derives from the Wing....except none of the "newbies" work near as well.......... and the Wings were definitely not "one offs"

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails strange006.jpg  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast