User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Fuel oil mix ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bean Station Tn.
    Posts
    314
    Thanks (Given)
    53
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    65
    Likes (Received)
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fuel oil mix ?

    Wanted to get everybody's opinion on a few things....
    I just noticed the otherday that the Shell station down the street from the boat ramp I have always used sales the higher octane "race gas" or whatever it's called I think it's 110 octane I'll check and make sure tomorrow..... what's the benefits to switching to the higher octane is it worth the added cost and do you switch up the premix or mix it the same as you would 93...... and just add to the conversation what oil do you guys use and what's the mix ratio in the 2.4 and 2.5 Mercs

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    shreveport,la
    Posts
    5,455
    Thanks (Given)
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Given)
    77
    Likes (Received)
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no benefit to using a higher octane fuel than is required by your compression ratio and timing. In fact, it will hurt power.
    Erik Kiser

  3. Thanks 91eagle thanked for this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bean Station Tn.
    Posts
    314
    Thanks (Given)
    53
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    65
    Likes (Received)
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patchesII View Post
    There is no benefit to using a higher octane fuel than is required by your compression ratio and timing. In fact, it will hurt power.
    .... I'm having a motor put together now that somebody had did a lot of machine work and the exhaust chamber the heads were land and sea and I sold them once I get it together of course I'll do a compression test but... what I'm asking is What compression would you recommend using the higher octane... I don't want to use pump gas on something that would run better with the 110 or vice versa


    Thanks

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Melbourne/Italy
    Posts
    6,055
    Thanks (Given)
    399
    Thanks (Received)
    172
    Likes (Given)
    1440
    Likes (Received)
    670
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would find out exactly what that fuel is first.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    9,405
    Thanks (Given)
    14
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Given)
    447
    Likes (Received)
    362
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    93 oct is good for up to 145-150 lbs compression. If your not planning to drag race there really is no reason to have compression any higher than around 145-150.
    Rob Lankford

    1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

    Previous owned boats worth mentioning

    1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280




  7. Likes 91eagle liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Hodvpmdom
    Posts
    1,945
    Thanks (Given)
    12
    Thanks (Received)
    66
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    340
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i want to go F with the deep pocket boys in their big macho bass boats and the ones in there wake boats. You know the ones i am talking about. I will pop on some 26cc heads which bring the pressure up to 195 to 205psi's and run the gas station 110 octane fuel. I'll use the Yamaha 26p drag prop because you know they ain't gonna hit 100+. But keep the 32 in the truck just in case. This is my not so stock carbureted chrome sleeve oval port 2.4 Mod VP motor. If I am gonna wind it towards 9k I usually run the oil about 18:1 If I am not gonna wind it to the limit, about 24:1. I also use Pennzoil Premium Plus. If your exhausting through your lower unit, don't expect it to be clean, Its gonna be very black and oily. And another thought that nobody really talks about. This high compression setup for 20 gallons and fuel consumption only costs me $225 for 45 minutes of fun. But its well worth it. Hope that helps a bit.
    If I don't ask any questions, I'll never learn anything.

  9. Thanks 91eagle thanked for this post
    Likes 91eagle, powerabout liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bean Station Tn.
    Posts
    314
    Thanks (Given)
    53
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    65
    Likes (Received)
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know what cc the factory heads are on a 260 ..2.5 ..... or the heads on a 2.4 Bridgeport were from the factory ?...... and one more question that popped in my head but I didn't want to start a whole nother thread for it what is the paint on the top of the blocks mean I've seen several different ones and they all had a little spot of color of paint sprayed on top of the block the last one I got is got like a orange color....
    Last edited by 91eagle; 03-08-2018 at 09:43 PM.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Bean Station Tn.
    Posts
    314
    Thanks (Given)
    53
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Given)
    65
    Likes (Received)
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    9,405
    Thanks (Given)
    14
    Thanks (Received)
    60
    Likes (Given)
    447
    Likes (Received)
    362
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91eagle View Post
    Does anybody know what cc the factory heads are on a 260 ..2.5 ..... or the heads on a 2.4 Bridgeport were from the factory ?...... and one more question that popped in my head but I didn't want to start a whole nother thread for it what is the paint on the top of the blocks mean I've seen several different ones and they all had a little spot of color of paint sprayed on top of the block the last one I got is got like a orange color....
    Typically they were 38 cc factory. 34 cc is safe for pump gas. 32 and your cutting it close and need thick gaskets. The diff color spray paint spots are assembly/inspection sign off markings I believe.
    Rob Lankford

    1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

    Previous owned boats worth mentioning

    1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280




  13. Likes 91eagle liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    HUDSON, FLORIDA
    Posts
    360
    Thanks (Given)
    36
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    93
    Likes (Received)
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely and dont be told more is better.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    HUDSON, FLORIDA
    Posts
    360
    Thanks (Given)
    36
    Thanks (Received)
    12
    Likes (Given)
    93
    Likes (Received)
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazymaan View Post
    When i want to go F with the deep pocket boys in their big macho bass boats and the ones in there wake boats. You know the ones i am talking about. I will pop on some 26cc heads which bring the pressure up to 195 to 205psi's and run the gas station 110 octane fuel. I'll use the Yamaha 26p drag prop because you know they ain't gonna hit 100+. But keep the 32 in the truck just in case. This is my not so stock carbureted chrome sleeve oval port 2.4 Mod VP motor. If I am gonna wind it towards 9k I usually run the oil about 18:1 If I am not gonna wind it to the limit, about 24:1. I also use Pennzoil Premium Plus. If your exhausting through your lower unit, don't expect it to be clean, Its gonna be very black and oily. And another thought that nobody really talks about. This high compression setup for 20 gallons and fuel consumption only costs me $225 for 45 minutes of fun. But its well worth it. Hope that helps a bit.
    my drag race nova costs me 6$ for 6.3 sec of fun!

Similar Threads

  1. Clogged Fuel Line??? Difficult to pull fuel through fuel line.
    By supervetteracer in forum Technical Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 09:08 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Talon Powerboats