Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fred Bowden

On Saturday boat racing lost a great competitor and a long time friend as Fred passed in his sleep while on a hunting trip in Mexico. Fred was a pioneer in MODVP and team owner of California Gold. He was also the first to offically go a 100mph in a MODVP rig. Fred and his team did more for the sport we all love than this page will hold. He helped many and never asked for it in return but most helped because of the kind of guy Fred was. Those of use that knew Fred knew him as very deticated to his family and friends and as a person that got things done in business or in racing. We have all lost a great mentor to our sport and my family and I along with others a great friend. My heart goes out to his family and may he RIP

Facebook has several posts, if you did not know Fred you can see how much he was liked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RIP Fred,lost a good man,prayers sent
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP Fred, preyers to the family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss, RIP Fred.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    On Saturday boat racing lost a great competitor and a long time friend as Fred passed in his sleep while on a hunting trip in Mexico. Fred was a pioneer in MODVP and team owner of California Gold. He was also the first to offically go a 100mph in a MODVP rig. Fred and his team did more for the sport we all love than this page will hold. He helped many and never asked for it in return but most helped because of the kind of guy Fred was. Those of use that knew Fred knew him as very deticated to his family and friends and as a person that got things done in business or in racing. We have all lost a great mentor to our sport and my family and I along with others a great friend. My heart goes out to his family and may he RIP

Facebook has several posts, if you did not know Fred you can see how much he was liked.
    Well said Al, Fred always had a kind wave even though we were competitors. I recall this last Parker endure at the ramp exchanging a nod with Fred, It was as if he was saying "be careful out there, but I hope we beat you!"
    found this in my filesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	bowden.pdf 
Views:	124 
Size:	930.7 KB 
ID:	400108

6. Likes Instigator, Dave Strong liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watched many of his races.
    A class act from all I could see.

RIP Mr Bowden.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

8. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP, Prayers go out to his friends & family..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred Bowden was a true racer. Always a winner as both driver and later on as team owner/manager.

RIP Fred Bowden

11. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Al, is there a specific place/charity his family would like to donate to in his honor??
    I have a boat or two.... that I never get to drive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fred was a wonderful guy and would help in anyway he could. I miss racing with him and Todd. Race in Heaven my friend. Todd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met Fred 1982 laying on my back, I was tightening my trailer bunks and he yells that we had a party to go to , he acted like a old friend the first time I met him...
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I remember Fred was at Stockton, 1979...I had a "HIGH DOLLAR" sponsor...motorhome, good equipment....

Fred showed up at this race with an old red Taylor MOD VP with a Johnson 200...everyone knew you needed a 235...and they worked on his truck, in the parking lot, all weekend. I thought to myself, "How does this sport attract THOSES kind of people??? He's trying to race a boat and doesn't even have a truck to get home with...".

Fred was an electrician, and had been laid off about this time... He and his late brother Larry, decided they buy a triangle piece of property on a freeway off ramp and build several buildings....Larry was a sheriff, but Fred needed a job...

I guess, we could say the rest is history...last I heard Bowden Development was building 300 to 600 homes a year, plus a high rise here and there...

I do know that when Eliminator Boats was trying to get their building done, that they were having troubles....the season was coming, Fred needed a race boat or two...Bob Leach asked Fred to help...and in short order, the factory was open...Fred was/is a man who gets things done.

Fred has opened his wallet to many, many new and old drivers...Sergio Calva, Chris Bush, John Castelli, Chad Hill to name a few. He was great competitor in MOD VP.

He has brought Todd, his son, through the ranks...Sport C, SST 60, SST 120 and now Champboat. I should add, Todd is about the nicest young man in the world....

Fred and his wife, Diane, have been married for a long time, but it seems they are still very close. At San Diego, every year, Bowden Development...throws a Pit Party...and everyone is invited....and I mean everyone...

Fred has been very loyal to Grand Prix Boats and Bruce Borequin. Their team runs the best equipment money can buy and Todd and Fred feel Grand Prix boats are the best.....Their ChampBoat standings show they are right...

Todd says it isn't true, but Diane says it is....Diane says that Todd had an autographed picture of Ron Hill when he was just a little guy....I choose to believe his mom...

The Bowden's are very active in ChampBoat Racing today and they plan to stay. Boat racing is lucky to have "THOSE TYPE" of people...

Thanks, Fred!!!!!

This is a copy /paste from Ron Hills boat racing facts .com
    Last edited by CUDA; 02-21-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    We have invented the world; WE see

16. Thanks Spectre Powerboats, 300x Stoker, msm thanked for this post
    Likes 300x Stoker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    The first time I remember Fred was at Stockton, 1979...I had a "HIGH DOLLAR" sponsor...motorhome, good equipment....

Fred showed up at this race with an old red Taylor MOD VP with a Johnson 200...everyone knew you needed a 235...and they worked on his truck, in the parking lot, all weekend. I thought to myself, "How does this sport attract THOSES kind of people??? He's trying to race a boat and doesn't even have a truck to get home with...".

Fred was an electrician, and had been laid off about this time... He and his late brother Larry, decided they buy a triangle piece of property on a freeway off ramp and build several buildings....Larry was a sheriff, but Fred needed a job...

I guess, we could say the rest is history...last I heard Bowden Development was building 300 to 600 homes a year, plus a high rise here and there...

I do know that when Eliminator Boats was trying to get their building done, that they were having troubles....the season was coming, Fred needed a race boat or two...Bob Leach asked Fred to help...and in short order, the factory was open...Fred was/is a man who gets things done.

Fred has opened his wallet to many, many new and old drivers...Sergio Calva, Chris Bush, John Castelli, Chad Hill to name a few. He was great competitor in MOD VP.

He has brought Todd, his son, through the ranks...Sport C, SST 60, SST 120 and now Champboat. I should add, Todd is about the nicest young man in the world....

Fred and his wife, Diane, have been married for a long time, but it seems they are still very close. At San Diego, every year, Bowden Development...throws a Pit Party...and everyone is invited....and I mean everyone...

Fred has been very loyal to Grand Prix Boats and Bruce Borequin. Their team runs the best equipment money can buy and Todd and Fred feel Grand Prix boats are the best.....Their ChampBoat standings show they are right...

Todd says it isn't true, but Diane says it is....Diane says that Todd had an autographed picture of Ron Hill when he was just a little guy....I choose to believe his mom...

The Bowden's are very active in ChampBoat Racing today and they plan to stay. Boat racing is lucky to have "THOSE TYPE" of people...

Thanks, Fred!!!!!

This is a copy /paste from Ron Hills boast racing facts .com
    Well said. A great insight on a truly nice guy. RIP, Fred, and God comfort the family!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great loss. Condolences to the family. God Speed Fred, RIP. Thanks for posting Al!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my condolences
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast