Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope the sporty is offered. Apparently this motor uses an all new lower unit, so I don't know if a 2.5 or 3.0 sportmaster would bolt up. Might have to be a new design around this motor and who knows if mercury will even invest in that. Hopefully they do

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When the 400R was debuted it was on Friday and they had a ceremony of sorts. I hope we see something more tomorrow. Did anyone get what rpm and ratio these new motors are coming with?

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    I hope the sporty is offered. Apparently this motor uses an all new lower unit, so I don't know if a 2.5 or 3.0 sportmaster would bolt up. Might have to be a new design around this motor and who knows if mercury will even invest in that. Hopefully they do
    That brings on a scary thought though..If it is different, then the 3l sportmaster will go away with the opti, not good.. looks to use the main 4 bolt pattern but almost appears closer to gether in the photo.. Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPERF View Post
    That brings on a scary thought though..If it is different, then the 3l sportmaster will go away with the opti, not good.. looks to use the main 4 bolt pattern but almost appears closer to gether in the photo.. Dave
    I'm going to get a closer look at the show on Saturday. But Mercury already took down the 2.5 optis from the site. But the 150/175 pro sx are still offered I guess until they get the Pro Xs versions of this motor out. I don't see them replacing the 300xs with this 3.4l V6. So for as long as the 300xs is being built, so is the sportmaster for it. But then again that is all on Mercury Racing, so who knows what is in the works in the future there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is coming from a guy that was a baby sh&* ing in the tub playing with a battery powered mercury on my toy boat. I have always loved and supported Mercury to an obsessed point. I was there yesterday all day and I have never been so disappointed in Mercury in My Life. Truth be told Mercury has zero interest in our type of boating. This naturally aspirated POS is geared toward a small fishing boat that sink with a verado. A 3.0 sporty will not fit, neither will a 2.5 and it didnt sound like they where in any rush to produce one lol. I was firing off questions about performance to the sales man comparing to the opti, and 2.5s and he was trying.... but he even started laughing. The only performance boating they seem to care about are the large big $$$ performance boats. When you guys look at this new 4 stroke you will laugh... They have a door on top of that ugly cowl that you can check the dip stick. The door and latch is so cheap I would be shocked if it last one summer. This was my experience from yesterday. I hope I am wrong, but Mother Mercury was not coming across that way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not liking that new Q-tip look....

7. Likes Capt.Insane-o, whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all realize that if bass boats didn’t exist the motors everyone here love would have gone by the wayside a decade ago. Subtract bass boats from the mix and how many small high performance boats get built a year, maybe 50? Mercury has little interest because the bulk of humanity has little interest. Whining about it or getting mad at Mercury doesn’t change the facts.

IMHO a 250 with the sporty lower will come in support of the bass boaters and if they can tune that motor to 300 hp, tack some extra dollars onto the price and sell an extra couple hundred then we’re in luck.
    Mark

9. Likes Superbender liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was hoping for a 200 hp version of the 150 four-stroke for my flats boat, had better run out and scrounge up a new 175 Pro XS before they are all gone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtsjr66 View Post
    Was hoping for a 200 hp version of the 150 four-stroke for my flats boat, had better run out and scrounge up a new 175 Pro XS before they are all gone.
    yeah Billy, that's what I'm thinking too!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    When the 400R was debuted it was on Friday and they had a ceremony of sorts. I hope we see something more tomorrow. Did anyone get what rpm and ratio these new motors are coming with?

Joe
    From the Mercury website. The 225 is 6,000 RPM with 1.85 ratio lower unit. The 175 and 200 are 5800 RPM with same ratio lower unit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When everyone said the 3bl ob cleavers were not available anymore i didn't believe it,,, so when I checked the 2018 book and confirmed it to be true.. right then i knew it was over. Agree with above, there was a time I couldn't wait to go to the show just for the merc booth... I know our market is next to nothing but hoped the bass (largest in the country) would keep the ride going but nope..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    You all realize that if bass boats didn’t exist the motors everyone here love would have gone by the wayside a decade ago. Subtract bass boats from the mix and how many small high performance boats get built a year, maybe 50? Mercury has little interest because the bulk of humanity has little interest. Whining about it or getting mad at Mercury doesn’t change the facts.

IMHO a 250 with the sporty lower will come in support of the bass boaters and if they can tune that motor to 300 hp, tack some extra dollars onto the price and sell an extra couple hundred then we’re in luck.
    100% correct. When Fred went away, the desire to build small amounts of performance stuff and willingness to sit on decade old inventory went away. F1 is the only class they support and its so small now that its pretty much over as well. The bass guys buy a lot of 250s and spend a lot more money then we do on new power. My newest power heads are 10 years old and will continue to be until we can buy the technology (power to weight ratio) that will replace it. That day is coming soon just like the snowmobiles, motocross bikes, and quads. I think that there is a really good chance that it will be yamaha who keeps the little guys powered up and playing. They are always the first ones willing to chase a small market segment and realize that joining forces with other competing companies often makes sense.

Joe

15. Likes noli, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing we don't know is the price. Currently a 300XS street price is around $19K, the equivalent ETEC is ~$25K! If they do a 300R but the price comes in closer to the 400R than the 300XS then all bets are off.

If the formula is 300HP, < 500 lbs and < $20K then they hit a home run.
    Mark

17. Likes noli liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You gotta be impressed by the weight,they really slimmed them down.it has always been for me any way,that the company offers a product and the hot rodder within me takes over and we make it fit our needs.we are a small group as compared to the market Outboard builders are drawn to.i for one am impressed and welcome the challenge to make it fit my needs.
    21 SuperBoat VF200 Yamaha SHO
    Bender Clan memberEroshibend Yamamoto
    2015 King of the Cut
    2016 King of the Cut
    2017 King of the Cut💪

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged